• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in the West Indies 2014

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
New Zealand in West Indies 2014 : Doosra to be discussed with match referee - Hesson | Cricket News | West Indies v New Zealand | ESPN Cricinfo

Happy to see that Hesson isn't one of the "we'll just worry about what we're doing" type coaches. [zero sarcasm, in case you were wondering]
Yeah it's a perfectly valid thing he wants to discuss. If those deliveries are illegal then I'd really hope the umpires have got the nads to call them in a game.

I wonder how effective Shillingford will be if he effectively can't bowl his doosra at all? Should take an aspect of his bowling right out of the batsman's head, assuming he isn't able to bowl it without chucking it.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, the pitch and the ball will conspire to spit up at the gloves and splice soon enough. The old K.I.S.S. theory, on a Super Sunday, from Shillers.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Just checked and Doull's not there ftr. McMillan's coaching. Could well be Morrison. :(

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Trinidad and Tobago's Newsday : newsday.co.tt :

Cozier’s TV commentary stymied
By JOEL BAILEY Tuesday, April 1 2014

During the recent NAGICO Super50 Tournament held here in the twin-island republic, as well as the home series against England, Cozier’s voice was conspicuously absent from the television commentary panel.

He has been involved in every home series since the 1990 visit of England, with the exception of the 2012 encounter against New Zealand when he was absent due to health reasons.

But the Mumbai, India-based Ten Sports won the rights to broadcast the West Indies home series last year.

“I worked all the way through but I’m not too sure what the position is here because this tournament (NAGICO Super50) I was written by HAS, who was contracted by the West Indies Board to do this tournament,” Cozier related. “HAS contacted me and said they’ll like me to do this tournament. They gave me terms, I accepted and everything.”

He continued, “I was all ready for that (but) then HAS then called me and said “well look, the Board has withdrawn your name, they said they wanted a broader mix of commentators rather than all Barbadians.” But now I see there are three Trinidadians (Ian Bishop, Fazeer Mohammed and Daren Ganga) in the panel so I don’t know what that is all about. I think possibly it has to do with if I criticised them.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
New Zealand in West Indies 2014 : Doosra to be discussed with match referee - Hesson | Cricket News | West Indies v New Zealand | ESPN Cricinfo

Happy to see that Hesson isn't one of the "we'll just worry about what we're doing" type coaches. [zero sarcasm, in case you were wondering]
I hope Gibson is asking the officials to keep an eye on Williamson too then.. :D

Regarding Shilly he's kind of changed his action a little so it will be interesting to see how he goes...you don't exactly need a "doosra" to be just as effective as he can bowl a straight one which is pretty similar to his old doosra tbh. In a way we can't lose because if he does poorly or gets called again then Narine will be straight in anyway.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I hope Gibson is asking the officials to keep an eye on Williamson too then.. :D

Regarding Shilly he's kind of changed his action a little so it will be interesting to see how he goes...you don't exactly need a "doosra" to be just as effective as he can bowl a straight one which is pretty similar to his old doosra tbh. In a way we can't lose because if he does poorly or gets called again then Narine will be straight in anyway.
Haha fair call

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Yes indeed! Just to warn our New Zealand friends on this board; If Kane bowls a lot of overs and has any impact at all with the ball I am going to be very militant in my criticism. I have no problem with Hesson looking after his teams interests, In fact, I think it's something every coach should do and Shilly and Marlon have chequered pasts. But it does work both ways and Williamson is up there with Samuels as one of the worst pelters I have seen so Gibbo better be having a 'quiet word' with the match referee if he feels it necessary.

As for Shilly, the doosra has never really been a huge strength of his tbh, although it did add a new dimension to his game. His main strengths are that he is a huge turner of the off spinner and gets a lot of bounce. That makes him dangerous enough anyway. It will be interesting to see his new action. I like to think they wouldn't play him if he wasn't capable of bowling a lot of overs as effectively as he used too.

Flem274*

123/5
If KW bowls a lot of overs on this tour and takes some wickets without getting snapped then the only way he's ever going to get reported is taking a match winning five wicket haul against Australia, England or India at a famous ground in front of millions of television viewers.

He almost played a crucial role in an Eden Park test win with the ball against England and no one batted an eyelid. He got rid of Cook, Broad and someone else iirc.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
If KW bowls a lot of overs on this tour and takes some wickets without getting snapped then the only way he's ever going to get reported is taking a match winning five wicket haul against Australia, England or India at a famous ground in front of millions of television viewers.

He almost played a crucial role in an Eden Park test win with the ball against England and no one batted an eyelid. He got rid of Cook, Broad and someone else iirc.
Totally agree and that is my problem with the whole system. He is as bad as Shilly or Samuels, almost all New Zealanders I have talked cricket with know it and yet he continues to pelt mangos with impunity whilst others have all sorts of scrutiny placed on their actions. Fair is fair and I hope that his bowling does not impact this series, If it does, we must make a fuss to those in charge. I don't want to have something quite so obvious to moan at, I quite fancy just enjoying the cricket this time :laugh:

Ferraz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Thought Narine was ruled out of the entire test series because of "the incident".

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Hang on a second. Williamson chucks it, sure, but he's never been reported and certainly never had a delivery judged to be illegal.

Hesson isn't asking the officials to keep an eye out because he thinks those bowlers might throw it, he's asking because they've been proven to chuck. There's a huge difference there. Williamson looks yuck but Samuels and Shillingford were legitimately banned from bowling not that long ago.

There's no way Williamson should be under the same scrutiny, at least until he's reported.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Also, has anyone mentioned that Anderson is out? That could make things interesting. I'm not sure they'd be happy with Neesh at 6, Watling 7 and then 4 bowlers (none of whom are an 8).

Maybe Latham will play and bat 6.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Yes indeed! Just to warn our New Zealand friends on this board; If Kane bowls a lot of overs and has any impact at all with the ball I am going to be very militant in my criticism. I have no problem with Hesson looking after his teams interests, In fact, I think it's something every coach should do and Shilly and Marlon have chequered pasts. But it does work both ways and Williamson is up there with Samuels as one of the worst pelters I have seen so Gibbo better be having a 'quiet word' with the match referee if he feels it necessary.

As for Shilly, the doosra has never really been a huge strength of his tbh, although it did add a new dimension to his game. His main strengths are that he is a huge turner of the off spinner and gets a lot of bounce. That makes him dangerous enough anyway. It will be interesting to see his new action. I like to think they wouldn't play him if he wasn't capable of bowling a lot of overs as effectively as he used too.
Well he was a huge turner of the ball and got a lot of bounce when he chucked it