• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2023/24

BoyBrumby

Englishman
England's Euro 92 squad is weird as **** when you look at the World Cup squad and the Euro 96 squads, both of which are full of genuine quality.
Gazza and GIMH's bestest bud being crocked didn't help, quality wise, but leaving out Beardsley & Ian Wright (Div 1's leading scorer that season) was very much on Taylor.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gazza and GIMH's bestest bud being crocked didn't help, quality wise, but leaving out Beardsley & Ian Wright (Div 1's leading scorer that season) was very much on Taylor.
and Waddle, never forget Waddle, form of his life post Italia 90, legend for Marseille and Sheffield Weds, Taylor preferred Tony Daley and Andy Sinton FFS.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mate from pub got tickets for Everton v Palace last night so 4 of us had a day out and froze. Great goal to win it by Gomes but he did naff all else, I thought it was bizarre Woy taking off Eze on the hour (looking at weekend I guess) as he was running the game at the start of the 2nd half, looks a great player.

As for potential England players, Branthwaite looks the real deal and at his age can only improve, was disappointed in Guehi, might just be a poor game but he looked to be too easily knocked off the ball which isn't great for a defender. Eze is very very good. Calvert Lewin is an honest worker but boy he needs some support, Everton in attack is like watching Shrewsbury but 5 miles an hour faster, poor striker gets no service and is isolated and fans moan at them for not scoring. Garner looks a player, always finds space, always available for a pass, gets stuck in. Tidy young player him. Mitchell was good going forward but a bit poor defensively, Clyne on other side far better player but he is way too old etc...

All told a decent day out despite the cold. First time watching 2 top flight teams in ages and you do appreciate the speed that things happen at that level compared to League 1.

Main reason we went is cheap tickets and both sides had an ex Shrewsbury player, sadly Godfrey and Henderson were both on the bench. Should try the Luton game in the next round as they have 3 ex Town players in Morris, Giles and Clark and McAtee's brother started at our place. Be more fun than a defeat at Northampton anyway.

Last edited:

Uppercut

I lost faith in the Palace operation when they hired him full time. Missed opportunity to conduct a proper search for the best coach to develop all their young talent and get him into a decent situation with a full pre-season. I don’t think they’ll go down, but it’s a wasted season and if they fire him they’re at ‘who’s available? Do we have their number?’

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I lost faith in the Palace operation when they hired him full time. Missed opportunity to conduct a proper search for the best coach to develop all their young talent and get him into a decent situation with a full pre-season. I don’t think they’ll go down, but it’s a wasted season and if they fire him they’re at ‘who’s available? Do we have their number?’
Yes, retaining Hodgson always looked a weak call. We shouldn't go down, but that will change if Eze, Olise and/or others decide they've had enough and take the offer to go elsewhere in the next week and a bit. I think Palace are one of those sides who are OK most years unless they make a really duff managerial call, and, tbf, there havn't been many of those over the last dozen years. Or, at least, when thery have made a bad call, they've addressed it quickly enough. But as I've said before, I do look somewhat enviously at what teams like Brighton and Bournemouth are doing with better managers than Hodgson. Brentford too, despite their recent run of form with about a zillion injuries. As for who's available to replace him, Cooper is being mentioned. He whose Nottingham Forest side seem to have significantly improved since he was replaced there. Someone suggested Carrick the other day, who's highly rated but untested at this level.

Uppercut

They’re both such bargain bin options. I’ll laugh if it’s Carrick. Ex-England international getting wildly disproportionate credit for having a Championship side in mid-table? We’ve been here before.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yup, it's Lampard without the publicity from his media role. I think there's a sort of inverse logic going on here. Carrick wasn't as good a player as Lampard or Gerrard, ergo he should be a better manager.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
They’re both such bargain bin options. I’ll laugh if it’s Carrick. Ex-England international getting wildly disproportionate credit for having a Championship side in mid-table? We’ve been here before.
Is he not any good as a manager?

Yes, retaining Hodgson always looked a weak call. We shouldn't go down, but that will change if Eze, Olise and/or others decide they've had enough and take the offer to go elsewhere in the next week and a bit. I think Palace are one of those sides who are OK most years unless they make a really duff managerial call, and, tbf, there havn't been many of those over the last dozen years. Or, at least, when thery have made a bad call, they've addressed it quickly enough. But as I've said before, I do look somewhat enviously at what teams like Brighton and Bournemouth are doing with better managers than Hodgson. Brentford too, despite their recent run of form with about a zillion injuries. As for who's available to replace him, Cooper is being mentioned. He whose Nottingham Forest side seem to have significantly improved since he was replaced there. Someone suggested Carrick the other day, who's highly rated but untested at this level.
Jesse Marsch has been doing the rounds on various podcasts. Reminding everyone he knows all the football jargon and Haaland learnt to head the ball from him. Pity his p**** formation gegenpress got figured out in 2017 and he sticks to it anyway.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Jesse Marsch has been doing the rounds on various podcasts. Reminding everyone he knows all the football jargon and Haaland learnt to head the ball from him. Pity his p**** formation gegenpress got figured out in 2017 and he sticks to it anyway.
he could become assistant to Bob Bradley (who has ended up where he belongs, in the Norwegian second tier)

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
Cooper would be a great choice for them. Also worth noting that Potter was at that game, he's probably in contention. Carrick has future caretaker Man Utd coach written all over him.

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
Our game was an interesting watch.

Nothing really happened first half, we were abit slow on the ball, struggled to get to grips with the conditions and just felt our way into the game. Cherries started really well, pinned us in for first 5min but then we took control, without really creating much of note. How Kluivert didn't see red was absolutely ridiculous, really poor decision I thought and even weirder how quickly VAR just cleared it.

Second half we went up a couple gears. In reality it was more of a 1-0 or 2-0 game, the scoreline was flattering but Jota is just so clinical.

Hopefully Curtis Jones is okay, that injury didn't look great and we absolutely need him. Mac Allister had his best game in a LFC shirt, thought he was a level above every other player on the pitch. VVD and Konate is some partnership, they made Solanke look bang average.

Aside from all that, not much else to say other than it was nice to see Darwin get a brace. His redemption arc is going to be great and that's the sort of performance rival fans would not want to see from him.

Next two games are huge for us, Chelsea then Arsenal and likely without Mo, Trent, Endo and Robbo. If you offered me 7pts from this block of three games I'd probably take it.

grecian

Our game was an interesting watch.

Nothing really happened first half, we were abit slow on the ball, struggled to get to grips with the conditions and just felt our way into the game. Cherries started really well, pinned us in for first 5min but then we took control, without really creating much of note. How Kluivert didn't see red was absolutely ridiculous, really poor decision I thought and even weirder how quickly VAR just cleared it.

Second half we went up a couple gears. In reality it was more of a 1-0 or 2-0 game, the scoreline was flattering but Jota is just so clinical.

Hopefully Curtis Jones is okay, that injury didn't look great and we absolutely need him. Mac Allister had his best game in a LFC shirt, thought he was a level above every other player on the pitch. VVD and Konate is some partnership, they made Solanke look bang average.

Aside from all that, not much else to say other than it was nice to see Darwin get a brace. His redemption arc is going to be great and that's the sort of performance rival fans would not want to see from him.

Next two games are huge for us, Chelsea then Arsenal and likely without Mo, Trent, Endo and Robbo. If you offered me 7pts from this block of three games I'd probably take it.
Bradley looked really good, the second half was a statement tbh.

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
Bradley looked really good, the second half was a statement tbh.
He's a gun. I thought he had a better game in the cup against Fulham but he's not put a foot wrong yet.

Apparently a whole host of clubs were after him on loan in the summer but Klopp wanted to keep him around. Will be interesting to see if he's jumped Gomez in the pecking order for RB, I suspect he's still 3rd choice.

The kid has a huge future but unless we commit to TAA in midfield full-time I think its pretty likely he ends up being sold to another PL club. He was a 1.5mil purchase so should turn over a very a tidy profit.

grecian

He's a gun. I thought he had a better game in the cup against Fulham but he's not put a foot wrong yet.

Apparently a whole host of clubs were after him on loan in the summer but Klopp wanted to keep him around. Will be interesting to see if he's jumped Gomez in the pecking order for RB, I suspect he's still 3rd choice.

The kid has a huge future but unless we commit to TAA in midfield full-time I think its pretty likely he ends up being sold to another PL club. He was a 1.5mil purchase so should turn over a very a tidy profit.
you may have a point about Gomez, but TAA's future is clearly not right-back.