• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2022/23

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I have no idea whether he's in the squad, but Trent may be a different option in midfield if I correctly understand where he's been playing for Liverpool recently. Not box-to-box like Bellingham, but a creative passing option that we haven't had lately. With Foden as the 3rd component in the midfield alongside Rice, of course.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I have no idea whether he's in the squad, but Trent may be a different option in midfield if I correctly understand where he's been playing for Liverpool recently. Not box-to-box like Bellingham, but a creative passing option that we haven't had lately. With Foden as the 3rd component in the midfield alongside Rice, of course.
He's still been playing as a right back out of possession but basically drifts centrally when Liverpool have the ball and operates as a midfielder.

Postecoglu at Spurs will likely make heavy use of this type of play next season at Spurs if he keeps his Celtic tactical blueprint.

I'm sure Guardiola played a version of this when he started at City (and kind of still does, particularly from left back).

Socerer 01

International Captain
England can play like City if they want to, they already have a decent list of people that can mimic the roles

all City players in their usual roles

Akanji - Tomori
Ake - Shaw
Rodri - Rice
KDB - no replacement for him, got to make do with Foden like in the final
Mahrez - Saka
Silva - Bellingham
Ederson - Ramsdale

of course some of these are downgrades like Ramsdale, Shaw and Foden but there is enough to work with if you truly want to replicate that. Kane would be even better than Haaland for buildup play too or can do the Haaland role of just distracting opponent defence if needed. the only barrier is that Pep can train his players week in week out with automatisms until it is second nature but that isn’t possible at national level due to limited time, you would have to try and rely more on the experience City players already have and hope the others just fill in

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Congrats Sm00teh. Can only presume you’ve celebrated in appropriate fashion.
Unfortunately not - am away at work at the moment. Thankfully one of the guys covered me for the first half of the day so I could stay in the camp and watch.

Will re-watch the game when I get home and celebrate appropriately.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Another one of those meh/alrightish players on the books of a big club who seems to get in England squads on that basis alone.

Tom Cleverley perhaps the prime example of the genre, but see also:

Winks, Harry
Livermore, Jake
Smalling, Chris
Jones, Phil
Brown, Wes

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think Mount is great but harsh to put him in with those lot. Had totally forgotten about Winks.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Another one of those meh/alrightish players on the books of a big club who seems to get in England squads on that basis alone.

Tom Cleverley perhaps the prime example of the genre, but see also:

Winks, Harry
Livermore, Jake
Smalling, Chris
Jones, Phil
Brown, Wes
Smalling shouldn’t be here, has been great for Roma

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
And Kane not to Man Utd apparently. Maybe to Chelsea instead? I'm guessing that Palace are out of the question.

And elsewhere, Bellingham to Real Madrid.