• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They are germs.

Great for them to win a title though, and to do it without just pumping long balls through to Ian Rush is truly unprecedented. Congrats tot heir fans.

At least the second wave caused by the celebration will be in the part of the UK where it can be of greatest benefit.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They are germs.

Great for them to win a title though, and to do it without just pumping long balls through to Ian Rush is truly unprecedented. Congrats tot heir fans.

At least the second wave caused by the celebration will be in the part of the UK where it can be of greatest benefit.
You maybe the only person I've seen suggest that apart from maybe terry Christian.

anyway, I like Klopp, so am relatively happy, obviously like all football fans they have a percentage of scum that I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire, but no worse than most, Like United all those years before hearing them whine about how unsuccessful they were and how they stuck with them through all the hard times of cup wins, Euro success and World-Class players, is a tad galling as an Exeter fan. Yet I feel that through most big clubs, unless they are relegated to the Conference, don't talk about pain.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The day has come then. Now, all we need are Chelsea fans to start posting in this thread to complete our misery

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
You maybe the only person I've seen suggest that apart from maybe terry Christian.

anyway, I like Klopp, so am relatively happy, obviously like all football fans they have a percentage of scum that I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire, but no worse than most, Like United all those years before hearing them whine about how unsuccessful they were and how they stuck with them through all the hard times of cup wins, Euro success and World-Class players, is a tad galling as an Exeter fan. Yet I feel that through most big clubs, unless they are relegated to the Conference, don't talk about pain.

You beat me to it with your first comment. The whole point about Liverpool in the 1970s and 1980s was that they dominated because they didn't play a traditional English game. That and having superb players, of course.

And I don't get the jaundiced comments elsewhere about Liverpool's win this season. They've been great , Klopp's fine and good luck to them. I don't dislike City, but I'd rather they didn't win it every year.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Ian Rush was actually one of the first traditional centre forwards to play the high pressing game defending from the front. Any suggestion that he was a penalty box poacher living off scraps is way off the mark.

flibbertyjibber

The Liverpool side that won the league with Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge was pretty special. I remember them stuffing Forest 5-0 one night and Forest had a very good side but it was total football from Liverpool and certainly wasn't long balls to the striker. The scary thing is this lot play better football than that team did and with the way City play and with Chelsea improving it bodes well for the standard we will be watching at the top like it was when United and Arsenal were going toe to toe.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I think the finest Liverpool side I saw was during the 1978-79 season. Only conceded 16 goals all season in the league, but scored over 80, which wasn't the done thing in those days. Won the league comfortably of course, despite Forest being unbeaten for 40+ games across the previous season and this one to finish second. This was before Rush actually, with David Johnson playing alongside Dalglish up front. The midfield of Case, Souness, McDermott and Kennedy was so good that they could accommodate the defensive hopelessness of Phil Neal at right back. It was an example of what someone called the 'Thora Hird' theory, whereby the midfield were so strong that they could have got away with playing TH at full back. A similar line of thought was expressed about Everton and Gary Stevens a few years later. But Neal did contribute further up the field to be fair.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Would've been a travesty if they didn't win it. An amazing side. Don't get me wrong, I ****ing hate the ****s, but man they were unstoppable.

I feel like burn out is coming for them though. They need an injection in the next year to keep the team going, like we kinda do now.

Uppercut

City are getting less and less penetrative and more and more vulnerable to the counter-attack. Could just be that they're not arsed, but historically it's been a bad sign when Guardiola teams start playing like this once the league is effectively over. Not to overstate it, I still rate them, but I'm less confident in their CL chances than I was six months ago, and the squad might need a bit more investment than I thought.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
City are getting less and less penetrative and more and more vulnerable to the counter-attack. Could just be that they're not arsed, but historically it's been a bad sign when Guardiola teams start playing like this once the league is effectively over. Not to overstate it, I still rate them, but I'm less confident in their CL chances than I was six months ago, and the squad might need a bit more investment than I thought.
After the win at Madrid I think we were probably favourites to win the Champions League, especially with Liverpool out. But now I think Bayern will walk it in a canter, they've shown that they can come back from long spells on the sideline on fire and have been scintillating.

I've been firmly on the "we need serious investment" bandwagon since before this season even started. Rodri will improve in his second season, he's been better than people think and hasn't exactly had a great backline to support him. We need 2 central defenders at a minimum, with one of them being seriously elite. Stones isn't up to it, his confidence is too shaky, which is a shame as I do quite like the guy. He may stay solely because he's English though. We need a striker as well as the Aguero situation is going to come to a head in 2021 and Jesus is good but not the goalscorer needed. I think Ferna is mostly done at this point and really isn't much of a CB. He's still a machine but can't play 40+ games in midfield anymore. Mendy has been a failure but I kinda still have faith in him to come good if he can stay on the pitch, though I think the rift with Guardiola may see him out if possible.

The huge elephant in the room in the CL ban. If there's a reduction we will be okay but if it stays 2 years then we have a long 5 years ahead IMO.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I think Bayern are favourites too but I don't think it's massively clear-cut. They're an excellent side but so are you.

I think both Liverpool and City were better last year tbh. That said, Liverpool are still the 2nd best title winners ever IMO, behind only City in 2018 and 2019. Not that that makes it any less of a pill to swallow, if anything the reverse.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I'm probably being a tad OTT but Bayern have been so scary since coming back, I doubt we could hold them out, we'd concede at least 2. We'd really need to be on our game and have to outgun them.

Uppercut

They were really impressive before the break too. Chelsea have always at least put up a decent fight against City and Liverpool this season, but Bayern made them look like total amateurs. I'd definitely have them as favourites, but the games aren't until August, they might have lost a bit of steam by then and City might have found some form.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
After the win at Madrid I think we were probably favourites to win the Champions League, especially with Liverpool out. But now I think Bayern will walk it in a canter, they've shown that they can come back from long spells on the sideline on fire and have been scintillating.
I wonder if the speed that the German season got back up and running might work against them though, as they'll be idle for a month while the rest of the big leagues are finishing off.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I wonder if the speed that the German season got back up and running might work against them though, as they'll be idle for a month while the rest of the big leagues are finishing off.
Bayern were idle for 3 months and came back absolutely destroying teams. Not sure the break will hurt a side that knows itself so well.