• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I also enjoy the world cup for totally different reasons. Even though I get caught up in the excitement about England I find following them is a painful and strenuous exercise, rarely bringing any me any enjoyment. The only time I can really recall enjoying an England match at a major tournament is when they beat Argentina in 2002, really enjoyed that match.
Yeah although I am normally just assume that we lose at some point, biggest problem with England at the world cup and especially the last one is our games were just SO dull.

Argentina in 2002 was great but so was 98, loved that whole world cup, was 10 at the time so first one I properly remember, have a couple of very vague recolections of 94, mainly the final when the TV mast in our area went down.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone got an update on the young lad from Arsenal's injury? Bloody horrible, hope he gets back into the game.

Also, when is the FA Cup final please? Usually late May sometime isn't it?

duffer

Anyone got an update on the young lad from Arsenal's injury? Bloody horrible, hope he gets back into the game.

Also, when is the FA Cup final please? Usually late May sometime isn't it?
Fractured tibula and fibula. Anywhere between 6-12 months.

Burgey

Fractured tibula and fibula. Anywhere between 6-12 months.
Hmm. Who was the lad who broke his leg in a similar style years back, not fat into the start of the Premier League? Was the first one of those I'd ever seen, they had a pic of it in Inside Sport here - was a goal mouth scramble iirc. I don't think he ever played again, from what I understand they still hold benefits for him from time to time.

Jeez if I could think of the club he played for, the name would spring right to mind.

At least it sounds hopeful this young fella will make it back some time.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah although I am normally just assume that we lose at some point, biggest problem with England at the world cup and especially the last one is our games were just SO dull.

Argentina in 2002 was great but so was 98, loved that whole world cup, was 10 at the time so first one I properly remember, have a couple of very vague recolections of 94, mainly the final when the TV mast in our area went down.
Haha I remember I enjoyed the 1998 tournament at the time, but it doesn't really hold any particularly special memories for me, though the quality of the tournament itself was probably greater than any of the ones that have followed it. Bergkamp's goal against Argentina is the first thing I think of when I think of that tournament, apart from the infamous Beckham red card. 2002 has to be my favourite, not really sure why, but I really enjoyed that tournament, but I accept I am probably in the minority in thinking that.

All I remember really about the 1994 one was Ireland beating Italy. I actually have no memory of the TV mast going down for the final though, only time I ever remember anything like that happening was when I was trying to watch an episode of the Crystal Maze, which could have been around the same time I suppose.

cpr

International Coach
Hmm. Who was the lad who broke his leg in a similar style years back, not fat into the start of the Premier League? Was the first one of those I'd ever seen, they had a pic of it in Inside Sport here - was a goal mouth scramble iirc. I don't think he ever played again, from what I understand they still hold benefits for him from time to time.

Jeez if I could think of the club he played for, the name would spring right to mind.

Dave Busst of Coventry. Really smashed his leg up against us. Wasnt actually the injury itself that did for him, it was the infections afterwards that stopped it healing.

Jarquis

Some players vs United?
Schemichel puked.
David Bust? Buust? Busst? Something like that?

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Worst one I've seen in football, that. Claret everywhere too; IIRC the groundsman had to hose the goalmouth down to clear it away before play restarted. Schmeichel looked like he was going to chuck.

Jarquis

Never seen it, have seen a picture and read about it though. Can't say I'm disappointed to have missed it though.

Burgey

Worst one I've seen in football, that. Claret everywhere too; IIRC the groundsman had to hose the goalmouth down to clear it away before play restarted. Schmeichel looked like he was going to chuck.
Just so wrong to see injuries like those though - bloody well assaults your senses to see - just hideous.

Jarquis

Not a leg break but.. anybody on here seen Patrick Battiston's injury in the 1982 WC? Listed as up there with the Busst one in one or two articles.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is that the one that involved the German keeper whose name escapes me ATM ?
Schmacher. Pole-axed him by leaping at him and smacking him square in the mush with his hip. Battiston was knocked unconscious and lost teeth. Completely unnecessary too as he'd already shot (and missed) before Toni connected.

Wasn't even given as a foul.

fredfertang

Schmacher. Pole-axed him by leaping at him and smacking him square in the mush with his hip. Battiston was knocked unconscious and lost teeth. Completely unnecessary too as he'd already shot (and missed) before Toni connected.

Wasn't even given as a foul.
That's the one - can't imagine anyone who saw it can forget it - even with my traditional British anti-german bias I can't see how anyone can conclude that was other than a criminal act