• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
+1

cpr has hit the nail on the head there. As an Arsenal supporter, it's hugely frustrating that we don't have a big physical enforcer in the middle of the park. The fancy footwork and one-touch football is wonderful going forward but when there is a loose ball in dispute I'd want a Gattuso, Mascherano or a Yaya Toure after it and not a lithe Denilson or Abou Diaby. The problem with Wenger is that he is so ingrained in his footballing philosophy that he's not able to make slight accommodations or deviations from his gameplan and consider purchasing a less technically able bigger-bodied player.

Unfortunately with so many smaller bodies in the park there is always a tendency for technically inferior teams to fly in and use their physical presence to bully us off the ball as that's where they have a comparative advantage. On the odd occasion, this extra physicality might result in an mistimed tackle - which just happened to be the downfall of Ramsey. I'd bet if we had a couple of bruisers in the midfield, teams will think twice about bullying as around as they know that they're gonna get hit back just as hard.

There's no point claiming you've been victimised or there is a conspiracy going on - Arsenal don't have the physical size against a team like Stoke or Hull City - it's as simple as that. The only way around this is to ensure we have got the men in the team who can exert their presence and rid us of this "soft" perception.
I've harped on and been laughed at when I criticised how we've assembled a squad of midgets on this board but from Arsene's point of view his sytem is everything. We were blessed previously with guys like Vieira, Petit, Edu, Gilberto, Thierry, DB who had the physical size as well as the technique to contribute to our play.

How many players in world football are there with the combination of both right now? Essien, but we were never getting him, Song is a very good player but more comparable to Mikel than an Essien and he's been very effective for us all season. Think you're wrong about Diaby too, he's the only one who has the right combination of the two and this season playing in his natural position he is putting it together at times quite spectacularly too. He is such an important player for us now but remains very very injury prone.

Wouldn't be averse to more beef in the squad but the current way of playing is working for us right now and is extremely entertaining (provided the players actually work hard with their positioning and tracking back; hence my disdain for guys like Denilson and Clichy this season). We're only three off the top with a very friendly run in and I actually believe when this team is motivated and full of belief they are very hard to beat regardless of their opponent's style of play(they just switch off too often). My gripe with how our games are officiated still stands though.

A game like Saturday's just makes me want to get behind everything about the club and be a blind supporter again like when I was young. If at the end of it we fall short I can ask plenty of questions of Arsene not strengthening the squad when he had ample opportunity to but as it stands he's very hard to criticise given where we are at this point in the season. Look for a huge Ramsey banner the Burnley game from an Arsenal forum I frequent(it's an absolute cracker :cool:).

Last edited:

grecian

Am staggeringly bored by this now, can we move on? Obviously after throwing Stoke out of the league because they're just horrid:ph34r:

Anyway, 8 out of 11 of the inger-lund team named for tonight:

Brown, Upson, Terry, Walcott, Lampard, Barry, Gerrard, Rooney.

Hmm, Brown and Walcott....

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
RE the Shawcross tackle, massive stating opinion as fact going on in this thread IMO, seems like we're stuck going round in circles.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
RE the Shawcross tackle, massive stating opinion as fact going on in this thread IMO, seems like we're stuck going round in circles.
Is why I haven't bothered replying on the matter for a while tbh. I've said my piece on the issue and that'll do for mine. But there does seem to be a lot od dressing opinion up as fact going around, from a few usual suspects I might add.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbf, while the tackle and all the issues surrounding Arsenal being bullied are entirely open to interpretation, extremely well-known journalists are saying stuff like, "three serious injuries in five years can't be a coincidence". That's not an opinion I disagree with, it's just factually incorrect. It offends the statistician in me :(.

cpr

International Coach
Tbf, while the tackle and all the issues surrounding Arsenal being bullied are entirely open to interpretation, extremely well-known journalists are saying stuff like, "three serious injuries in five years can't be a coincidence". That's not an opinion I disagree with, it's just factually incorrect. It offends the statistician in me :(.
Aye, agree with that. What gets me more is the fact (not FACT!!!!!! - unlike some would post) that what was unfortunate is added to a stat to show malice.....

I'm now going to stop posting like Richard in an Hussain v Hayden thread....

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Annnnyway.

Friendly international about to break out tonight. Green in goal (what more does Hart need to do?!?), Baines at LB & Defoe and Rooney up front.

Seems a good time to point out we've never lost to an African nation whilst I still can.

grecian

Well deserved, best team winning, we're so mediocre.

this terry-thing ain't going to lose us the WC, it's the fact we're not very good that will.

Scaly piscine

Commentators really getting on my ****.

Oh really for *Lampard* from 10 yards out it's a miss?

Townsend stfu you complete and utter nilwit.