• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
leaving boult out for wagner and bracewell would be ridiculous. If you don't want to drop wagner then you don't play bracewell; it's that simple imo.
+1

**** off

if either boult or southee are dropped i'll just give up, why don't we just drop taylor while we're at it.
+1

yeah, as far as the seam bowlers go it should really be:

1. Southee
2. Boult
3. Wagner
4. Bracewell

and if number three has done enough to keep four out, you don't replace 1/2.
+1

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I see there is a bit of support for dropping Monty for either Tredwell or Woakes here and in the press. I'm really not a fan of Monty but it would be pretty ridiculous to play Tredwell. Yes Tredwell is a better batsman and fielder but his batting is test quality 9 or 10 and he probably wouldn't stand in the slips so he isn't improving the team that much in this respect. Panesar whatever his faults is clearly a much better bowler and Tredwell is pretty underprepared having not played since the ODI's and having flown home and back in the mean time.

Playing 4 seamers and no spinner is really risky too especially as the weather is set fair for this match. Monty may not be massively threatening but he is an excellent first innings bowler bowling lots of overs inexpensively holding up an end whilst the seamers work at the other. Even with 4 seamers they're all going to be tired if they have a whole day in the field(that is 20+ overs in the day for all of them) and if the wicket is flat they're gonna be in real trouble. I would be slightly more in favour of this if Root and Trott had bowled a bit more on this tour.

Well should be fun anyway. Last game of the winter.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Caaarrrn the Land!! Time to finish this tour off with a bang.

If by some miracle the Aussies manage to win their dead rubber and we go down in this test they'll go ahead of us in the rankings......bull***** I know but that's the facts. Must not happen under any circumstances, so we need a big win here. :D

Edit:

And we've won the toss and will have a bowl.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Argh no Bracewell.

Wagner has had a decent series numbers wise but he isn't a patch on Bracewell, such a disappointing selection.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Happy to be batting first.

Yes Bracewell would probably be slightly better bet than Wagner but that's the joys of incumbency (and the non-joys of injuring yourself and giving someone else a chance). I can't be too upset about it - bowling attack depends far more on Southee and Boult than it does on the third seamer.

Howsie

International Captain
Dean Brownlie @ $9 and BJ Watling @ 10 is bloody good value.

Edit: Top run scorer this innings ftr.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Evening lads. Nice to see Root and Bairstow playing a Test together, a glimpse of the short voweled future of the side

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Dean Brownlie @ $9 and BJ Watling @ 10 is bloody good value.

Edit: Top run scorer this innings ftr.
Taylor and Brownlie are due imo. Brownlie's looked in reasonable form and a bit unlucky to play on in one innings and get a ripper in his other.