• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
This Pietersen knee thing always looked likely to be a problem. I was just preying that each side were going to take the diplomatic approach and thankfully at the moment it seems to have gone off without a hitch. KP knows that the ashes is the big thing and there is plenty of attention on it. He won't be happy to miss out on the IPL but this is the one year where he knows he couldn't/ or shouldn't kick up a fuss.

Chances are after this year(ashesx2) or the next( World Cup) he quits all or some international cricket and the ECB probably knows that. He can play all the IPL he likes at that point but in the mean time he realises the importance of the coming year.

L Trumper

State Regular
This Pietersen knee thing always looked likely to be a problem. I was just preying that each side were going to take the diplomatic approach and thankfully at the moment it seems to have gone off without a hitch. KP knows that the ashes is the big thing and there is plenty of attention on it. He won't be happy to miss out on the IPL but this is the one year where he knows he couldn't/ or shouldn't kick up a fuss.

Chances are after this year(ashesx2) or the next( World Cup) he quits all or some international cricket and the ECB probably knows that. He can play all the IPL he likes at that point but in the mean time he realises the importance of the coming year.
Yeah, I think it is the main reason why he knuckled down last time around. I think after WC he will definitely quit limited overs.

The middle order with root, bell, and bairstow doesn't really feel strong to me. Hopefully one of those will make a big score (not confident though). I think NZ might have better middle order with Taylor, Brownlie & McCullum.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Put Bairstow and Woakes in for KP and Monty?

Bairstow's a shoe-in for KP. And I really hope he makes runs cos I think he's been unlucky not to be picked in the first place.

Woakes for Monty is trickier. No question that the latter has been disappointing in the extreme, but I'd still err on the side of having some significant variety in the attack. Others will disagree though.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bairstow's a shoe-in for KP. And I really hope he makes runs cos I think he's been unlucky not to be picked in the first place.

Woakes for Monty is trickier. No question that the latter has been disappointing in the extreme, but I'd still err on the side of having some significant variety in the attack. Others will disagree though.

I have no wish for just four seamers, with little back-up amongst the others. The only way I'd play Woakes, is if root or bairstow didn't play, and put Woakes and Tredwell for KP and Monty.

Yet it's all a bit convoluted, and JB for KP will be the call.

Pothas

Yeah I know they surprised us a bit in India with Root coming in for the last test but can't see anything else but Bairstow in for KP.

Any chance of a proper length game this time around?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Weather forecast looks promising so far. Another flat pitch expected though, so it could be hard work trying to fore a result.

Pothas

Yeah no doubt given evidence of first two tests although would back them to do it I'd we get 5 full days.

Do England bowl first if they win the toss regardless of the pitch and conditions? Might seem foolish but New Zealand have made it so obviously apparent they want to avoid batting first.

Jezroy

State Captain
Weather forecast looks promising so far. Another flat pitch expected though, so it could be hard work trying to fore a result.
The pitch looked plenty green on the news last night. Plenty.

As long as there are 5 fine days, I think there will be a result. I doubt it's gonna be a case of 600/3 dec, plays 550 etc etc.

Sure the first two pitches haven't been perfect, but if there had been 5 fine days in Wgtn and Dunedin, I'm pretty certain there would have been two results.

I would rather those two pitches (Boycott was a moron for saying you could have had a 10 day test in Dunedin - you couldn't), than a green seamer where tests last 2 and a 1/2 days.

Unless NZ win. Then it's okay.

Last edited:

Pothas

Dunedin was really terrible though, could have easily lasted 6 or 7 days. England just performed a most outstanding feat of ineptness on day 1.

Jezroy

State Captain
Dunedin was really terrible though, could have easily lasted 6 or 7 days. England just performed a most outstanding feat of ineptness on day 1.
NZ could have had a very nice collapse on the last if Eng got 200 ahead.

We're good at those.

And no one knows how that test would have gone had the first day not been rained out - I doubt Eng would have been bowled out for 167 like that. I know Dunedin wasn't great, but I can see why there may be a directive from NZ Cricket for these tests to go five days.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
NZ could have had a very nice collapse on the last if Eng got 200 ahead.

We're good at those.
Nah in Dunedin NZ were on track to complete that 350 chase for the win shortly before tea on day 7. Easy.

In Auckland I hope England bowl first and Taylor scores 150 - he's due imo.

Scaly piscine

tredders for monty ? close call i think.
Fair point actually. Can't see Panesar doing anything unless NZ prepare a bunsen or bat like headless chickens. Tredwell is wily enough to nick the odd wicket and is obviously far less of a passenger otherwise.

Wow just looked at the squad. How much older do people think Tredwell is when compared to Panesar? Now have a look at the answer:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/new-zealand-v-england-2013/content/squad/601973.html

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Duggeh bowl. duggeh bowl gud. he bole faast*

Despite that vid being approx 12x14 pixels I'm fairly sure I can make out Bracewell's enormous grin after nutting Worker. Don't think Worker saw the funny side.

* didn't actually look like Bracewell was bowling very quick tbh

Days of Grace

International Captain
Nah, looks good to go, tbh. Sorry, Wagner.

Really hope the selectors realise how Wagner got his wickets and not just look at the tally.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Cricinfo has this to say in their preview:

For New Zealand, a third Test in quick succession will tempt them to shuffle their pace attack with the possibility that Doug Bracewell may get an outing instead of Trent Boult.
I worried briefly the writer might have some inside information, but then the same article also has the following to say, which suggests there's not much real insight going on here.

Eden Park has staged 47 matches since 1930 and many suspect this may be its last. ... Now there's a debate to pass the time while watching Test cricket in the mind-numbing surroundings of a rugby ground - isn't it about time New Zealand's capital city provided a venue fit for Test cricket?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Bartin's definitely in. Dire comments from McCullum on Southee's batting.

Martin a definite starter: McCullum - Yahoo! New Zealand Sport

Spinner Bruce Martin has done enough to earn a spot in New Zealand's line-up for the deciding Test against England at Eden Park on Friday, but they have yet to decide who the third seamer will be.

The return to the squad of medium-pacer Doug Bracewell had raised some questions about whether Martin would keep his place after solid performances in the first two Tests.

But captain Brendon McCullum says Martin will definitely play and the main selection dilemma is whether Bracewell will replace one of the three seamers who played in Dunedin and Wellington.

"Eden Park can spin a little bit later on. We've seen various times here when drop-in wickets have actually spun a bit," McCullum said.

"He also provides us with a bit of punch with the bat down the order too and I think he's progressing beautifully as this series is going on."

McCullum said there was a chance Martin may be pushed up the batting order ahead of Tim Southee but it was more likely the batting order would remain the same, despite criticism of Southee's cavalier batting style.

"Tim's brief is that he's a ball striker and we know there's going to be times when he gets out that it's not going to look great. But there's also going to be times where as we saw in Dunedin where he's able to put on a quick partnership which is able to give us some impetus."

McCullum said Bracewell reportedly bowled well when taking one for 50 in 10 overs in a Ford Trophy game on Wednesday, his first since injuring his foot at a party, but that it would be hard to drop either Southee, Trent Boult or Neil Wagner.

He said the team were likely to bowl first again if they won the toss but he wouldn't commit to it 100 per cent.