• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

BeeGee

International Captain
bracewell and gillespie in would have been my pick.
Gillespie looks finished
Gillespie isn't in the squad, so it's all academic.

Unless there is injury or exhaustion, the team will be unchanged.

Personally, I would bring in Butler for Brownlie and bat him at seven. We have a shot at a series victory over England here, but we need 20 wickets. All eggs => one basket. Strengthen the bowling and hope the top six can score enough runs to keep the bowlers in the game.

Flem274*

123/5
If I was going to go with five bowlers plus a long tail on a bouncy Eden Park pitch I'd keep the back foot camper tbh and move Fulton out for one game with McCullum opening.

It's even more optimistic than your idea though. Neither are going to happen. Three quicks plus Bucko is locked in.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Bowling = Southee, Boult, Wagner, Bracewell/Martin, depending on amount of grass on the wicket.

They won't drop Brownlie on a pitch that should be bouncy, and rightly so.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That's a great article by Mr Wells. Also like the comment suggesting test cricket should be played in a park in Auckland and surrounded by a food and wine festival for five days. Sounds very civilised.
Yeah, his cricket podcast is fantastic listening too.

Days of Grace

International Captain
At some stage, a spinner will be needed to rest the quicks, or to speed up the over rate, and I don't know if Williamson can be relied on for a 20 over spell. Might get a sore elbow.

Jezroy

State Captain
At some stage, a spinner will be needed to rest the quicks, or to speed up the over rate, and I don't know if Williamson can be relied on for a 20 over spell. Might get a sore elbow.
Unless the pitch looks like Hobart, Bartin will play.

And I just can't see that happening after the 1st two test pitches we've had so far.

Mike5181

International Captain

Mike5181

International Captain
Yeah, and Chris Martin is still ranked in the top 20 for bowlers.
Meh, the ratings take into account a player's entire career - though they put more emphasis on what he has done recently. Martin didn't really get destroyed towards the end, like a lot of players do, so he hasn't fallen down the list quickly. Makes sense for him to be in the top 25, at least performance-wise. McCullum was in the 30s the last time I checked, and scoring two 70s against the second best bowling attack in the world has pushed him up the list of best batsmen, even if you disagree with those particular rankings. I don't think they're perfect either.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Bowling = Southee, Boult, Wagner, Bracewell/Martin, depending on amount of grass on the wicket.

They won't drop Brownlie on a pitch that should be bouncy, and rightly so.
I can see the value in Butler over Bracewell tbh. Personally my lineup would be Southee, Boult, Butler, Martin, but they won't drop Wagner so I think it should be Southee, Boult, Wagner, Butler. Martin probably won't be that effective in Eden Park where all the batsmen have to do is take half a step down the wicket and hit down the line and even mis-hits will carry easily.

4 bowlers should be enough IMO. Butler strengthening the batting is a nice

Days of Grace

International Captain
If only Franklin could have been a little more than a bits and pieces player in test cricket, he would be perfect at no.7 for the 3rd test. Then we could have four seamers/five bowlers.

In my mind, if you play five bowlers, one of them has to be realistically capable of scoring test centuries. Dougeh is clearly not at this stage.

Jezroy

State Captain
If only Franklin could have been a little more than a bits and pieces player in test cricket, he would be perfect at no.7 for the 3rd test. Then we could have four seamers/five bowlers.

In my mind, if you play five bowlers, one of them has to be realistically capable of scoring test centuries. Dougeh is clearly not at this stage.
Jimmeh is also not capable of this.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Disagree, Franklin's not good enough at either discipline for test cricket imo. In spite of his natural talent with the bat, he would be get peppered with short bowling by the likes of Finn and Broad and would be a mere passenger with the ball. Useful short-form player, but total waste of time in Test matches these days.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

Disagree, Franklin's not good enough at either discipline for test cricket imo. In spite of his natural talent with the bat, he would be get peppered with short bowling by the likes of Finn and Broad and would be a mere passenger with the ball. Useful short-form player, but total waste of time in Test matches these days.
Think you missed the 'If only' part. I agree with that 'if only' - would really help if he could bat six or even seven in this side.... but he can't.

Franklin is such a frustrating player. And to think a few years ago he was not the only Jimmeh that had a cow-lick, swung the ball a long way and had a tendency to slump the shoulders. Now the other one's the second best fast bowler in the world and Franklin is a mediocre limited-overs allrounder.

I've been in favour of five bowlers for NZ for a long time... but we really don't have the players to make it work right now (no Vettori, no Ryder, domestic allrounders promising but a little way off). I wouldn't get too excited about Butler's batting if he were to play a test match either - might make a decent number 9.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
KP out for 6-8 weeks according to cricinfo, didn't see that coming.

Chance for Bairstow, I guess. Root and JB fighting out for later honours, I'd have thought, and of course KP misses IPL, which at least is a bright side:D

Last edited: