• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2016

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And Kent are now taking legal advice with a view to challenging Hampshire's reprieve - all rather pathetic - should decide it in a bowl out

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah historical relegation inaccuracies aside, I'm with scaly here. I'm not sure how you can apportion all of the blame to Durham (which is what has happened here) when the institutional architecture of the ECB is so pathological. I mean, they highly incentivise massive investments into stadium redevelopments to add to the seemingly-infinite pool of international venues -- and in the case of Durham and Chester-le-Street, outright mandated it as a condition of joining the CC in the first place. And then they force the counties to bid against one another, literally paying to get a return on the investment the ECB pushed the counties to develop and fund -- with the massive downward pressure on profitability that bidding for games naturally entails.

I mean, there's no way that system doesn't create massive instability in county finances.

That's not to say Durham is entirely innocent, but I think it's misleading to act as if this is a black/white, right/wrong issue where Durham are **** administrators and the ECB aren't at all culpable for any of the problems arising in the first place.

It could have been Yorkshire, it could have been Warwickshire or Hampshire or Gloucestershire or Glamorgan. Durham didn't have the benefit of a Graves-esque private benefactor, nor did they get a favourable loan like the Bears. The perils of geography have affected their ability to diversify with Chester-le-Street to the same extent other counties have. And it's the north, so the weather is ****.

There's a whole stack of different facets to why Durham needed this bailout; last I checked, nobody has ever levelled accusations that Durham have done anything wrong administratively. A combination of the ECB system, the nature of Durham, geography and a bit of misfortune have contrived to leave Durham in this position, and I can't see how the ECB taking money away from them and literally writing off two seasons (albeit one post-hoc) is going to help Durham solve the problem...or prevent it from happening again elsewhere.

fredfertang

Agree with large parts of what everyone in this debate has said and, for once, have given both sides of the argument some thought.

I can well remember the enormous amount of work that went into setting Durham up as a First Class county in the 1990s and the struggle they had in the early days to be competitive on the field. That they became as strong as they did was testament to the vision shown by the likes of Geoff Cook (it wasn't just him but his is the only name I recall off hand) - and it is a kick in the balls to undo all their hard work now.

If they'd behaved liked Leeds United I'd be 100% with Marc, but they haven't and I can well understand scaly's indignation - Durham will obviously have to pay back the cash, but that really should be the end of it

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I'm sure there's a degree of baiting and schadenfreude involved given we have to struggle through Scaly's Durham rants every week- and people are privately quite sympathetic to Durham's plight.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm sure there's a degree of baiting and schadenfreude involved given we have to struggle through Scaly's Durham rants every week- and people are privately quite sympathetic to Durham's plight.
Yeah, I'm quite sure there is a Scaly factor involved in some of the less sympathetic posts here but at the end of the day he does have a point on this one.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah, I'm quite sure there is a Scaly factor involved in some of the less sympathetic posts here but at the end of the day he does have a point on this one.
Crying wolf innit

I'd listen to anyone defend Durham except the bloke who's spent every possible post pointlessly shilling them.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It is impossible not to feel sorry for them but at the same time it is funny as you know Scaly will be so angry and provide us with great entertainment over the next couple of years. Personally think a relegation is enough punishment and the point deductions for the next season are way over the top as you are making it certain they can't have a good season no matter what they do. Hope they can carry on with the good youth policy which has provided so many players over the years and come back as strong in time.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Isn't there a salary cap being put in place in order to balance the books too?If so, that could mean an exodus of top level players from Durham who will simply have to earn as much as they can to pay their bills(as we all do)? That could put Durham back even further and I for one would hate to see that...

theegyptian

Dan Lawrence off to a pretty steady start for Wanneroo in WA grade cricket. 267 runs in 3 innings and 5 wickets.

As always plenty of English guys to follow this winter in grade cricket. Other couple of notable ones are Matthew Fisher at Adelaide CC, and Mason Crane in Sydney for Gordon. Counties don't normally sent their fast bowlers overseas but given Fisher spent the whole season injured it makes sense to get some bowling under his belt.

Plenty of players being picked up for the Bangladesh and Pakistan T20 comps. Glad Tymal Mills has got the opportunity. Hopefully he makes a success of it. Morgan and Hales with plenty of spare time to pick up deals also in PSL.

Harmer picked up by Essex. Looks a solid addition.

Pothas

McClaren to Lancs then, probably a decent move for them, hope it means Hampshire bring another overseas in.

theegyptian

Is Tino sticking around to partner Fidel? Bring in Gabriel as the overseas for the treble! Topley to come back too presumably.

Last edited:

Pothas

Tino rather disappeared second half of the season so I assume he will be gone along with all the other random bowlers that came in through last season. Guess they also have to wait and see what happens with this legal challenge that Kent are talking about.