• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2016

Woodster

International Captain
Durham could be relegated anyway? Durham face relegation if ECB impose points deduction for financial woes | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

I think even if they hit them with a points deduction then it would have to be massive deduction for them to be relegated. That last win against Hampshire could be vital. Could slap them with a 24 point deduction and they'd still be fine.

No real surprise Borthwick and Stoneman left if they are still having these kind of financial problems. A lot of runs gone but Durham seem a resilient bunch and always seem to find players than can step up. I noticed Paul Coughlin who has been more a bowler to this point, scored 231 in a second xi final earlier this month against an attack featuring Fuller, Harris and Ravi Patel. It'll be tough staying up but I'd certainly take them over Essex to stay up.
Is that because Essex have lost Masters and Napier ? Admittedly they will leave gaping holes in the attack as they were both bowlers Essex could certainly rely heavily on. I think we might be fairly strong though depending on who comes in, in terms of an overseas bowler presumably, and any other additions. With Adam Wheater and Varun Chopra both returning, our batting looks strong, but I think we can surprise a few teams in Division One next year, on the proviso we do bring in some quality bowling options.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
They need bowlers and lots of them. Most first division teams have 8 good or so county bowlers. Essex maybe 1 or 2 at present. Durham have plenty of bowlers who can still win them games. Also no guarantee Westley, Browne, Lawrence etc make the step up

91Jmay

International Coach
It isn't like Durham are financially doping is it? They can barely afford a pot to piss in, let alone a window to throw it out of.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So why bid for International matches that they can't afford to host? We see a lot of criticism of Cardiff getting help to host Internationals...

theegyptian

It isn't like Durham are financially doping is it? They can barely afford a pot to piss in, let alone a window to throw it out of.
You could say none of the other counties got the financial help that Durham got and that they had an advantage as a result. That's how Bransgrove is spinning it anyway.

BBC Solent Sport ‏@solentsport 3h3 hours ago

BRANSGROVE: "I do feel though that any of us that played Durham when they were being supported were at a disadvantage."
3 retweets 1 like

Why should Durham get bailed out whilst teams that live within their means get nothing? ECB are presumably trying to discourage that kind of thing, or they will be bailing out every team.

Who knows whether it's financial mismanagement of Durham or the failure of the ecb's bidding process, or both.

Durham are the only team to have gone over the salary cap which did seem a fair error on their part and they got penalised for it at the time. I don't know if this is still a hangover from that.

A little more on it. Durham facing relegation following*financial bailout from ECB The original article is behind the times paywall.

Woodster

International Captain
They need bowlers and lots of them. Most first division teams have 8 good or so county bowlers. Essex maybe 1 or 2 at present. Durham have plenty of bowlers who can still win them games. Also no guarantee Westley, Browne, Lawrence etc make the step up
Of course there's no guarantee those batsmen will step up, but alongside the likes of Bopara, RTD, Cook when available, Foster, Chopra, Wheater, etc, you'd expect there to be sufficient runs at the club if the majority play to their potential.

Agreed on the bowling front, I'm entirely sure I agree they need a further six or seven good bowlers, but it is an area that certainly needs strengthening now. Be interesting to see who they target.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You could say none of the other counties got the financial help that Durham got and that they had an advantage as a result. That's how Bransgrove is spinning it anyway.

BBC Solent Sport ‏@solentsport 3h3 hours ago

BRANSGROVE: "I do feel though that any of us that played Durham when they were being supported were at a disadvantage."
3 retweets 1 like

Why should Durham get bailed out whilst teams that live within their means get nothing? ECB are presumably trying to discourage that kind of thing, or they will be bailing out every team.

Who knows whether it's financial mismanagement of Durham or the failure of the ecb's bidding process, or both.

Durham are the only team to have gone over the salary cap which did seem a fair error on their part and they got penalised for it at the time. I don't know if this is still a hangover from that.

A little more on it. Durham facing relegation following*financial bailout from ECB The original article is behind the times paywall.
There are a number of counties who have bigger debts than Durham. Durham have those debts because of the ECB encouraging them to develop the ground for international matches and then Durham having to bid a fortune for them, meanwhile the ECB allowed the Welsh Assembly buy an Ashes Test away from Durham whilst we got the ****test, least saleable matches available.

Hampshire are just bitter that they're not good enough to beat Durham on the pitch. Funny how all this comes out after Durham after comfortably finished in 4th and helped knock some southern tossers down into division 2. I bet the media wouldn't have given a **** if Lancashire had gone down.

theegyptian

ECB aren't looking at penalising Durham because of their debt amount. They're penalising them because they are having to bail them out because otherwise Durham would be defaulting on their loans and not be able to pay the wages of their staff - all whilst seemingly being able to give Keaton Jennings a big new 4 year deal. Other teams may reach that stage but it's Durham at the moment.

theegyptian

I was kinda surprised at what he said.

He's been in charge six years. Sometimes you just need to freshen things up. I doubt it's Worcestershire saying he's a bad captain, just that you sometimes need to change things around to keep the club going forward and giving opportunties to different players.

He doesn't have any divine right to keep the job for as long as he wants. I'd guess he'll reflect in a couple of weeks and think fair enough.

I agree about what you say with Leach. A lot on him given he plays all formats and bats and bowls.

Foster finally got the sack at Essex last year (along with the coach) and they finally got promoted this year.

fredfertang

Mitchell has had a benefit this year hasn't he? If so no wonder he's been distracted

I hope Gilo has been on the phone to him

theegyptian

Somerset players probably came second.

Doesn't seem like the english county folks have been put off Bangladesh by Morgan and Hales not travelling. Plenty put forward their names for BPL auction.

Chris Gayle to play for Chittagong Vikings in BPL 2016-17 | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Benny Howell and Richard Gleeson picked up before the draft joining Bopara, Zaidi and Wessels who are already affiliated. Gleeson made his first class debut last year and T20 this year so some rise to prominence by him.

36 other English players up in the draft including Vince and Dawson.

Scaly piscine

What an absolute ****ing disgrace ECB. Go and **** yourselves and shove your competitions up your arse. I will not be following domestic cricket again in the foreseeable future.

The only team that hasn't been relegated and they get double ****ed for doing everything the ****ing wankers at the ECB wanted in the first place, who then ****ed them over with the extortionate bidding setup and ****ed them over again to give Tests to the ovine bothering ****hole over in Wales. Then they have the ****ing gall to agree to accelerating less than a million in payments and decide you know what, we'll ****ing relegate you anyway.

Go and ****ing yourselves you absolute scumbags. How is it you get restrospectively docked 46 ****ing points to something that was agreed to, meanwhile for an agreed package next season which is far more substantial they start at -48. The Durham Council can go **** themselves as well.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And of course, the county are totally blameless in all this aren't they?

Surely it's better then the alternative of going bust.