• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Commentary Complaints Thread***

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This maybe the wrong place to say this, but I actually like Glenn Hoddle, yes he mangles words and phrases, but he actually does try to add some insight into formations and tactics, unlike most of the terrestrial lot who just talk in cliches.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Thierry Henry.... Nope, no complaints with anything, even his commentary.. :cool:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This maybe the wrong place to say this, but I actually like Glenn Hoddle, yes he mangles words and phrases, but he actually does try to add some insight into formations and tactics, unlike most of the terrestrial lot who just talk in cliches.
Shame most of what Hoddle adds is nonsense.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Oh just because he dropped Gazza from his World Cup squad. TBH he wasn't playing in a competitive league at the time, so fair enough.
Gascoigne was a Middlesborough player in 1998 :D

And Gascoigne was done by then anyway. Hadn't kicked a ball all season for us.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I love how Vialli speaks better English than Ferdinand.

Also great how the only way he looks any different from how he did in the 90s is some grey in his beard.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't really get what Hoddle is doing on TV after what he said about disabled people. Not because his comment was so horrifically offensive (although it is), but how can he have any credibility after something like that? Why would anyone value his opinion on anything? Dog**** pundit too of course, but that's secondary.

I think the coverage has been fine so far, for some reason even Savage and Ferdinand are far less annoying than they are on BT Sport.

Tangles

Tommy Smythe on ESPN is unbearable. Talks crap and plays up his Irish accent. Won't stop saying **** like "bulges the old onion bag".

ESPN in general is bad. Hack commentators where the English imports are bad but better than the Americans who us phrases like "end line". At least for the Prem fox just uses actual British commentary.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm in an apparently small minority that don't dislike Robbie Savage on the TV. However, yesterday he was on the radio and he rambles over the action as though he's still on the TV, seemingly unaware that the listeners are rather more reliant on the commentator than they are on the TV. It reminded me of the first time I heard TV boxing commentator Reg Gutteridge do a radio commentary and he described the action exactly as he would on TV and you had no idea what was happening.

Tangles

More useless crap from the Americans today:

Making the ball knuckle
Weak side defender

Where the F are my subtitles for this crap.

Tangles

Knuckleball is a baseball term. Ball has minimal spin and can move erratically due to the seams.

Weak side defender is more puzzling for me. Just say near post or far post if you describing defending in the box. That's a Basketball term.

vogue

Knuckleball is a baseball term. Ball has minimal spin and can move erratically due to the seams.

Weak side defender is more puzzling for me. Just say near post or far post if you describing defending in the box. That's a Basketball term.
Need some commentators from the old country it seems.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That insane guy who does co-comms on the American coverage is pretty hilarious tbf. Caught him on a dodgy stream this season and he described a Barca goal as 'absolute TUMBLE DRYER FOOTBALL' and a header as 'as CLEAN as a BUCKET OF CRABS'.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha, whenever I hear American commentators like that I always think of those vids from the 2014 WC with WWE commentary dubbed over them.

Love this one in particular, links up so perfectly:

:laugh: