• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Commentary Complaints Thread***

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Pat Nevin on 5Live commentary today telling the listening millions that the kick-off was illegal because it went backwards. Good to see pundits keeping abreast of rule changes.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not saying he's a bad Human Being. Just that if you keep up to date with the rules you don't make a tit of yourself on live radio.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like Pat Nevin too, probably the most insightful pundit outside of Sky. Shame they never get him on MOTD.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Glenn Hoddle is ****ing blind. Confidently declares that Perisic's shot took no deflection despite the replay showing a clear deflection.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Even if it didn't he was overly harsh on De Gea I think. Really stuck the boot into him.

Obviously a keeper being beaten at his near post is usually pretty poor show, but Perisic's shot would have been saved if it was even an inch or two to the right of where it ended up, it zipped in right across the ground and in the tiniest space that De Gea didn't quite have covered. Arguably he still should have saved it, but it was by no means a howler in my opinion.

Uppercut

Even if it didn't he was overly harsh on De Gea I think. Really stuck the boot into him.

Obviously a keeper being beaten at his near post is usually pretty poor show, but Perisic's shot would have been saved if it was even an inch or two to the right of where it ended up, it zipped in right across the ground and in the tiniest space that De Gea didn't quite have covered. Arguably he still should have saved it, but it was by no means a howler in my opinion.
Yeah this grinds my gears. Commentary Wisdom states that the striker should always shoot to the far post and the goalkeeper should never be beaten at the near post. This makes no sense.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
In early for the ESPN use of OT and PKs. With the knockout games it will probably crop up during the first match.

Uppercut

Lawrenson snarking about Ricardo Rodriguez based on a free kick that hit the wall, somehow totally unaware that he's one of the world's best left-backs.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have to say the SonyESPN Hindi commentary in India is much better than I thought it would be.

cpr

International Coach

Thing is, I feel its De Gea's biggest weakness, he does get beat there more often than he should, especially for someone with his reactions. It happens to all keepers at some point, but to De Gea more than most I feel. Can't quite put a finger on when I first noticed it, but I remember in the FA Cup final, as soon as Puncheon got the ball, I was thinking if he goes near post it's 1-0... I just knew Dave wouldn't save it, and I think strikers are noticing the weakness too. De Gea deserves a call out on it for once.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
"Strange to see Wales playing against a team with two players named Evans in it". Not quite destined for the same greatness as "They think it's all over."

Uppercut

Thing is, I feel its De Gea's biggest weakness, he does get beat there more often than he should, especially for someone with his reactions. It happens to all keepers at some point, but to De Gea more than most I feel. Can't quite put a finger on when I first noticed it, but I remember in the FA Cup final, as soon as Puncheon got the ball, I was thinking if he goes near post it's 1-0... I just knew Dave wouldn't save it, and I think strikers are noticing the weakness too. De Gea deserves a call out on it for once.
Yeah interesting point, but I'd argue it's probably because he's a better keeper than everyone else. If you never get beaten at your near post you're positioning yourself far too close to it.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Not a match commentary, but Alvin Martin said on talkSPORT that if England are serious about winning the tournament they have to reach at least the semi-finals.