• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Commentary Complaints Thread***

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Murphy's recurring 'they should be pressing them here!' rant is a damning indictment of all the Liverpool managers he played under.
I really really think he is one of the worst.

Applauds tactical fouling because it's "Necessary".

Then tells players to "get up" when they've just taken a serious clattering. Bloke's a shunt.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah he's absolutely terrible. He's also got that thing some fans have where they get it into their head that goalkeeping is really, really easy. At one point Lloris made a pretty good save from a mis-hit cross and he was like "dunno what he's playing at, just catch it". Then Patricio made one excellent save when Giroud blasted it towards the far corner from close-range and he was all "disappointing finish from Giroud, you expect him to make the save there".

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also funny to see Henry and Ferdinand giving Goal of the Tournament to Robson-Kanu. It's just a bit of fun so you expect the bias, but there'd be a national scandal in Wales if Robson-Kanu had scored Shaqiri's goal and the BBC gave it to Shaqiri for Robson-Kanu's.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
In fairness I think Belgium's defence is still trying to find him.

I'd have given it to Shaqiri as well but Robson-Kanu's had so much going for it, it was a seriously high quality goal and it stuck Wales into a major semi final.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I really really think he is one of the worst.

Applauds tactical fouling because it's "Necessary".

Then tells players to "get up" when they've just taken a serious clattering. Bloke's a shunt.
Haha yeah he's just such a massive hypocrite. Justifies cynical fouls by defending teams (which is cheating, pure and simple) all the time yet is amongst the biggest critic of diving.

Most people are like that but Murphy takes it to extremes.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't think that's hypocritical, really.
How is it not? He actively encourages one form of cheating whilst condemning another.

Bear in mind that the laws of the game explicitly forbid tripping or kicking players deliberately, whereas there is nothing ecplicitly in the laws that prevent a player from diving.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
How is it not? He actively encourages one form of cheating whilst condemning another.
Yeah, I'm with you on this one. Bloke seems to be ok with cheating so long as it's the manly, macho, kicking people kind, because those sorts of things allow for heroic "taking one for the team". If it's diving or feigning injury that's the stuff of cowardly foreigners and must be stamped out.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't think it's hypocritical. You might see it as a double standard, but it's not hypocrisy. Hypocrisy would be if he had spent his whole career diving.

It's like when people say it's hypocritical to complain about bounced catches if they don't walk. They are two different things.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't think it's hypocritical. You might see it as a double standard, but it's not hypocrisy. Hypocrisy would be if he had spent his whole career diving.

It's like when people say it's hypocritical to complain about bounced catches if they don't walk. They are two different things.
Probably splitting hairs a bit imo. To me hypocrisy can be expressed by a double standard.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hypocrisy is saying one thing and doing another. it's different to a double standard, because it is the act of not following your own standards.

Calling people hypocrites for holding different standards to different rules etc is going a bit far.

I mean you can then argue I'm a hypocrite if I dislike drunk-driving because I often speed (I don't really, it's just an example :ph34r:). It's not what hypocrisy is.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha, wouldn't judging people differently for similar acts (i.e. cheating) because of arbitrary distinguishing criteria (lousy weak foreigners etc...) be hypocritical though?

In any case, even if it's not, Murphy is dire.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't think so. People who dislike diving may prefer a 'physical' game and hence not have the problem with cynical foulings.

I mean we can really go down the line of semantics here but I guess it comes down to what Murphy says. If he slams diving for being 'cheating' then I suppose that is hypocritical. If he dislikes diving but is okay with other forms of cheating, that's not in itself hypocrisy.

That's as far as I will concede. So if Murphy has condemned diving because it's cheating I will accept that it is hypocritical. But just because both are types of cheating doesn't mean condemning one and not the other makes you a hypocrite.

That's all for today folks.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't think so. People who dislike diving may prefer a 'physical' game and hence not have the problem with cynical foulings.

I mean we can really go down the line of semantics here but I guess it comes down to what Murphy says. If he slams diving for being 'cheating' then I suppose that is hypocritical. If he dislikes diving but is okay with other forms of cheating, that's not in itself hypocrisy.

That's as far as I will concede. So if Murphy has condemned diving because it's cheating I will accept that it is hypocritical. But just because both are types of cheating doesn't mean condemning one and not the other makes you a hypocrite.

That's all for today folks.
Yeah, that is what I was getting at really.