• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in England T20s and ODIs

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scaly, you're clearly a biased idiot!

The second test vs WI was a joke and the the fact that a straight-breaker like Swann today took 5 is more of the same1

Plunkett, Harmy, Onions are all hacks and the fact that they've won a CC sums it up

Please, please, please give an Ashes test to a decent ground
Hmm worthless dip****s on ignore + 1

BoyBrumby

Englishman
My but our middle order is just pitifully inadequate, isn't it? Says everything that we put on a 100+ opening stand chasing less than 180 and there was still a very real fear might jizz it up.

Really don't see where the runs are coming from.

SeamUp

International Coach
Surely Ravi has to have a blinder of a CT to make SA ODI tour.

How is this for England ODI squad to SA.

1. Strauss
2. Denly
3. Trott
4. KP
5. Collingwood
6. Prior
7. Wright
8.Broad
9. Swann
10. Anderson
11. Onions

12. Bell/ Morgan/Cook/Shah
13. Rashid
14. ANOTHER SEAMER
15. Bresnan

grecian

Davies
Strauss
Trott
Allenby
KP
Patel

Rubbish, but better chance of scoring runs then the current lot.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Joyce has earned another go IMHO. Leading List A run scorer domestically and was certainly no worse than any of the current crop last time around. Scored a ton v Oz IIRC, which none of the 09 vintage has even remotely threatened.

Compton down at Middlesex has had a good season too and averages over 40 for his career in List A, which puts him in very select company where English-qualified batsmen are concerned. Good genes too, obv.

SeamUp

International Coach
I would say Joyce is a bit similar in scoring rate to a Denly or Strauss or Collingwood. If there is a re-call for Joyce it would have to be for Denly and open.

I've seen Compton and like the look of him, especially his cover drive but he doesn't seem to get a mention in the press which he should.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Prior is wanker than **** is ODI cricket, he's proven that many times.
Prior best role is batting @ 7. If you look at his ODI career since he earned his place in 2007, ENG tried with him as an opener & he failed - batting in the top order just doesn't suite him. The only reason he batted in the top-order during the ODI is because ENG without KP was really looking for someone who can score quickly in top 4 during the first 20 overs & Prior ATT was the best suited - but he just couldn't do it.

For now he has to bat @ 7 & play the role he does in test matches. But at the end of the day i think Kiewsetter is going to replace him when he qualifies.

Anderson is terrible in it at the moment. I think Morgan only has a place as a replacement for Collingwood. Why you can't find a place for the second best OD batsmen in the country I don't know.

Anderson is the greatest but he is a wicket-taking option with the new ball, cant see why ENG should drop him.

Dont think Morgan should be rivaling Collingwood for a place, more so Shah.

marc71178 said:
So else is in front of him then - bearing in mind a middle order should consist of more than just KP.
Well my full-stenght middle order would be ATM:

Strauss
Denly
KP
Shah/Morgan
Collingwood
Flintoff

If Trott is going to play he should be rivaling Shah/Morgan. But right now going into the CT with KP out as most should agree, the man is a MUST pick. Dumb selectors as usual.

marc71178 said:
Yeah, but since 113 is a quite a lot higher than 86 I guess Davies does actually score quicker (as well as averaging more)
We talking about English domestic OD cricket here where Cook scored a run a ball century & Swann scored 90 off 40 odd balls recently. So we cant take OD domestic form as a strong guide to how these cats could do in international cricket.

Based on what i've seen & i dont know who will agree. Mustard does score faster than Davies & so does soon to be qualified Kiewsetter.

Davies is probably on par with Paine in ability. AUS can get away with Paine opening because of the strenght in the middle-order they have. I dont think even with KP & Flintoff back ENG can tolerate Davies opening TBF. Kiewsetter would be a better at opening than him when he qualifies. So for now i'm happy for Denly to open with Strauss

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Surely Ravi has to have a blinder of a CT to make SA ODI tour.

How is this for England ODI squad to SA.

1. Strauss
2. Denly
3. Trott
4. KP
5. Collingwood
6. Prior
7. Wright
8.Broad
9. Swann
10. Anderson
11. Onions

12. Bell/ Morgan/Cook/Shah
13. Rashid
14. ANOTHER SEAMER
15. Bresnan
Onions shouldn't play ODI cricket, replace him with Sidebottom.

I'd have both Shah & Morgan in the squad, so i guess the overal touring ODI squad should be 16. Or maybe Davies could go as back-up to Prior instead of one of them.

The "another seamer" spot should go to Mascarenhas.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
We talking about English domestic OD cricket here where Cook scored a run a ball century & Swann scored 90 off 40 odd balls recently. So we cant take OD domestic form as a strong guide to how these cats could do in international cricket.

Based on what i've seen & i dont know who will agree. Mustard does score faster than Davies & so does soon to be qualified Kiewsetter.
What exactly have you seen - regardless of what form of circket it is, Davies has a strike rate of 113 and Mustard is 86.

How the hell is 86 bigger than 113?

Davies is probably on par with Paine in ability. AUS can get away with Paine opening because of the strenght in the middle-order they have. I dont think even with KP & Flintoff back ENG can tolerate Davies opening TBF. Kiewsetter would be a better at opening than him when he qualifies. So for now i'm happy for Denly to open with Strauss
Oh yes, clearly can't tolerate the man who averages over 50 in limited overs (and kills 2 birds with one stone by getting rid of Prior from the ODI team)

Johnners

Heh, nice spell from Swan. Disappointed we could get the 7-0 but oh well. Fingers crossed we don't have to see much/any of the Hilf in the CT now.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Highest strike rates in List A Cricket in England this season:

SM Davies - 116.17
C Kieswetter - 96.91
P Mustard - 85.87

86 clearly faster than 116. :(

Davies, as well as scoring his runs significantly quicker than both Kieswetter and Mustard, has also scored more runs at a better average than his competitors.

edit: one more thing in favour of Davies. He's scored just 3 sixes all season, far less than Kieswetter (10) and Mustard (12), yet has a strike rate which is massively superior. This would suggest 2 things - that Davies is adept at finding gaps in the field without risking going aerial (he's scored far more 4s than both Kiewsetter and Mustard), and he's adept at rotating the strike - something England's top order are crying out for.

Last edited:

social

Hmm worthless dip****s on ignore + 1
Wish fishing was that easy

Shame for Durham is that it's a great ground in a beautiful setting and a decent crowd actually turned up

Unfortunately, any wicket where Bresnan can seam it around corners (test match) or an off-spinner can turn it square in an ODI in the north of Eng is just ill-prepared

grecian

Jimmeh just posted this on Twitter:

"Finally finished packing and now off to the airport. I'm sure I've forgotten something, but what???"

I felt like Tweeting him "how to bowl in ODIs" in reply.