• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Ramprakash

BoyBrumby

Englishman
This is all correct and it would be wrong to say that any attack in England is currently better than Australia's but there have been times when it is pretty close, take this Hampshire atack from 2006 with two Australians in it, Clark, Tremlett, Warne, Mascarenhas, Udal. There are probably better examples than that but it shows that on occasion county atacks have very strong lineups. I think it is safe to say that Ramps has scored runs against bowlers of similar standard to the Australian bowlers for many years in county cricket, the issue with Ramps as is commonly known is not his ability to play test cricket.
Count three, tbh. :ph34r:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Come on. Rana was one of the best bowlers in the ODI series last time he was here with Pakistan and I'd reckon Lewry'd get a go with most state sides even now, let alone when he was better a few years ago.
Mate,I'm talking about today

Rana, Lewry and Kirtley are far worse bowlers now than they were even a few years ago and form part of a very average fc attack

Anyway, I suppose the main point is that anyone who believes that the runs Ramp's has scored at fc level in any way guarantee that he'd me even moderately successful at The Oval is kidding themselves

He has always been talented

He has always been technically very good

And, if you believe Murray Goodwin, he has still got a **** temperament (was on the radio today saying that he'd gotten under Ramp's skin with a few well placed words that resulted in his dismissal and basically said he'd be no hope at combatting Aus sledging which would be inevitable)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyway, I suppose the main point is that anyone who believes that the runs Ramp's has scored at fc level in any way guarantee that he'd me even moderately successful at The Oval is kidding themselves

He has always been talented

He has always been technically very good

And, if you believe Murray Goodwin, he has still got a **** temperament (was on the radio today saying that he'd gotten under Ramp's skin with a few well placed words that resulted in his dismissal and basically said he'd be no hope at combatting Aus sledging which would be inevitable)
Agree with that.

Mind you, Goodwin's a ****.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
OK, but the rest of us weren't. What we're talking about is the county attacks that Ramps may have faced in recent years, not just this year. Because it's not just this year that Ramps has averaged over 100 in FC cricket, he did it twice running a few years back.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
anyone who believes that the runs Ramp's has scored at fc level in any way guarantee that he'd me even moderately successful at The Oval is kidding themselves
Last time he played against Oz at the Oval he got 133. Against a far better attack than this (Warne, McGrath, Gillespie, Lee). Seems he didn't have much trouble "combating Aus sledging" on that occasion.

However all this is academic. He will score zero runs for the simple reason that he won't be picked.

Son Of Coco

Last time he played against Oz at the Oval he got 133. Against a far better attack than this (Warne, McGrath, Gillespie, Lee). Seems he didn't have much trouble "combating Aus sledging" on that occasion.

However all this is academic. He will score zero runs for the simple reason that he won't be picked.
That was 8 years ago...but you're right, those guys were decent talkers.

I wouldn't mind seeing him given another chance though, I'd just be hoping he fails miserably :happy:

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Rana, Lewry and Kirtley are far worse bowlers now than they were even a few years ago and form part of a very average fc attack
So do lots of below-average state-level "plodders".

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
That was 8 years ago...but you're right, those guys were decent talkers.
Thing is, there's no evidence to suggest he's got worse as a player since then, and some evidence (although obviously it's far from conclusive) that he's got better.

fredfertang

Who said this of his hundred at the Oval in 2001?

“Ramprakash took one on the wrist from McGrath and he became visibly stronger in his desire and self-belief from that moment. This hundred may be a defining point in his career, as he now appears more settled in himself and at ease at the crease.”

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Who said this of his hundred at the Oval in 2001?

“Ramprakash took one on the wrist from McGrath and he became visibly stronger in his desire and self-belief from that moment. This hundred may be a defining point in his career, as he now appears more settled in himself and at ease at the crease.”
Boycs?

If not him then Benaud?

fredfertang

Steve Waugh indeed - personally I'm pretty confident that his judgment of a batsman's mental toughness is likely to be pretty sound

stumpski

International Captain
True, although even with that hundred, Warne managed to goad Ramprakash into getting stumped IIRC. When England were in sight of saving the follow-on.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
True, although even with that hundred, Warne managed to goad Ramprakash into getting stumped IIRC. When England were in sight of saving the follow-on.
Well if he gets to 133 this time I think I'd back him to avoid allowing the legendary sledging of Nathan Hauritz to goad him into a similar indiscretion...