• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mankading - Why is it not within the "Spirit of the Game"?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Okay, English dudes with adrenaline pumping ****s. Unless you stop attacking Sri Lanka, Murali, and sub continent sides in general here, you are not getting me to listen to much of your argument here (that is me having the pomp to presume you give a **** about me listening to your argument, but since this is a cricket forum, I will throw caution to the winds and take that chance).

The Mankading rule has never been abused, so I don't see the sudden concern for extreme events on here. If a batsman has been warned many times, he can control his momentum while backing up just by starting from slightly further back up.

And again, I am guessing there have been many runs nicked off by enthusiastic non-strikers, runs which effect the outcome of games, though I guess that would tend to get cancelled out for both sides usually.

It is definitely neither possible nor desirable for the non-striker to watch the ball coming out of the bowler's hand on a regular basis. That would hinder his ability to do his job. But he can definitely get the momentum he needs from starting further back.

Butler was being a little lazy from the replay I just saw. If this straightens him out for the rest of his career, then it is probably a good thing for cricket overall, though I am hardly certain on this point.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They had warned him and informed the umpires on more than one occasion, and reviewed footage from the previous game to confirm that the batsmen were indeed taking an early start if what Jayawardene said is to be believed. I don't see what other option they had to stop them from doing it.
It would be a brave man who takes what Jayawardene says at face value.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I've never been quite sure why Mankading is regarded as so infra dig. You're taught when you learn the game that as the non-striker you can't leave your crease before the ball is bowled. It's not rocket science to comply with that - you can still back up by a long way while not straying from your ground before the ball is bowled. I'm not even entirely sure why it's customary to give a warning. It's not as though you get a warning for any other kind of dismissal.

But quite apart from that, if Buttler actually got warned then I have no idea why he or his team would feel hard done by.

Would be nice to think that on a site like this we could debate this kind of issue like grown-ups, btw.

harsh.ag

Yeah, my take on a non-strikers job has always been that he needs to have momentum, because usually he is the one who has to respond to the striker's call and is usually the one running to the danger end. For this, he just needs to start from further back than they do, I think, as I mentioned above.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka obviously reviewed the laws and saw that Satchi could plant his front, go through his motion 90% and then whip the bails off. Maybe Buttler thought it was the same rule as in other FC cricket (delivery stride) where he was centimeters out of his crease. To pretend it is 'poor old Sri Lanka' in this situation is ****ing bollocks though. They obviously had it in their minds to do, and clearly knew that Satchi's action would allow them to do it pretty effectively. I'm certain they came into the game intending to mankad him.

Is that bad, or wrong? Nope but Mathews/Mahela droning on about how they had no other option is pathetic.
Lol, if Buttler was in his crease like he was meant to be there'd be no trouble, by giving the warning SL showed their intention was to stop him doing that rather than get him out doing it, if Buttler can't follow simple instructions that's his problem.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't even understand what that's supposed to mean. They warned him, then when he didn't abide their warning, suddenly they have to talk to the umpires, make sure he stays in his crease, write a notarised letter to his attorney, the ECB & the Queen, lobby for a governmental intervention, start a social medi....wha? Then do a pretend appeal. He's an international cricketer, for crissake he's responsible for staying in his own darn crease.

Also, I don't get the nonchalance behind him being just a couple inches over, those couple of inches could mean the difference between being in or out if the stumps are hit on the other end. If the umpire spots a fielder a couple inches before the line when walking in, then he should no-ball the bowler (you know, like they occasionally do anyway). An inch over is as good as a foot over.
As my earlier posts will show I have absolutely no problem with the mankad per se. My problem is with Jayawardene being sanctimonious, saying he doesn't play that way and that it should never get to the stage of the bails being removed when it happens to someone from his side and then going ahead with it with it's an opposition batsman.

Buttler clearly wasn't trying to gain an unfair advantage on the delivery he got out to. Personally, I don't care about that in the slightest and simply think he should've been more alert. Jayawardene doesn't come from that school of thought though - which he made clear after the Ashwin/Thirimanne incident - in which case it's wholly relevant and his statements were hypocritical.

I've got no issue with the mankadding. I just think Jayawardene should if he's to be consistent with his previous statements.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, dodgy from Mahela, he did put 'some' blame on Thirimanne after the Ashwin incident, but if he was being consistent then he would've put all the blame on him and not claimed that Ashwin was not acting in the spirit of the game.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
We're expecting him to be impartial? He's not an umpire, he's a sportsman. He's not going to be consistent about that ****.

social

I've never been quite sure why Mankading is regarded as so infra dig. You're taught when you learn the game that as the non-striker you can't leave your crease before the ball is bowled. It's not rocket science to comply with that - you can still back up by a long way while not straying from your ground before the ball is bowled. I'm not even entirely sure why it's customary to give a warning. It's not as though you get a warning for any other kind of dismissal.

But quite apart from that, if Buttler actually got warned then I have no idea why he or his team would feel hard done by.

Would be nice to think that on a site like this we could debate this kind of issue like grown-ups, btw.
I was brought up in an era where Mankading was a definite no-no (even warnings were greeted by jeers from the 2 men and a dog watching the game)

However, IF Buttler had been warned twice then no-one can have any complaints

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
After seeing the video it's more about conning a cheap wicket in a pathetic manner than it is about stopping Buttler gaining an advantage.

The vast majority of international batsmen could be Mankadded in exactly the same way. Buttler you could argue was lazy but he wasn't gaining any real advantage.

England should just Mankad the whole ****ing lot of them in the Test series as far as I'm concerned. Not that it should be necessary anyway. Sri Lanka sinking below India in the teams I want to see hammered out of sight league.
A Scaly post and a sledger like.

The ultimate combo.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Batsmen don't need any more advantages in the game. Get behind the crease, especially if you've been warned. Simple.

It amazes me how many batsmen have no trouble in the world getting out of the gates early but then when they're run out at the bowler's end, think they're the most unlucky prick around.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Perfectly within the laws of the game. Spirit of Cricket is the most over-rated cliche of all time. The sport is professional and not a pass time anymore. Butler was warned. He still did not listen, So serves him well.

This is called picking up in baseball, The runner tries to steal a base by getting a few yards ahead and he could be "Picked up".. Same situation. All the rest is just BS. You don't want to be mankaded, Stay the **** in your crease till the ball is bowled.
Posting all the way from Canada to inform you that it's "picked off". "Picking up" is what players do, not baseball players.

HeathDavisSpeed

The media's reaction to this is cringeworthy to say the least.
I would really, truly honestly love nothing more than to hear Piers Morgan's reaction to this incident. I'm certain for one thing that the Mankad wouldn't have happened if Kevin Pietersen was in the team.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
After seeing the video it's more about conning a cheap wicket in a pathetic manner than it is about stopping Buttler gaining an advantage.

The vast majority of international batsmen could be Mankadded in exactly the same way. Buttler you could argue was lazy but he wasn't gaining any real advantage.

England should just Mankad the whole ****ing lot of them in the Test series as far as I'm concerned. Not that it should be necessary anyway. Sri Lanka sinking below India in the teams I want to see hammered out of sight league.
This post just makes the whole incident of Butler's dismissal sweeter.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Becoming a theme with this England team. If you get the batsman out under the rules, they'll have a cry ala Bell at Trent Bridge vs. India. The Lankans not as soft **** as Dhoni though, and went through with the appeal unlike Dhoni.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Becoming a theme with this England team. If you get the batsman out under the rules, they'll have a cry ala Bell at Trent Bridge vs. India. The Lankans not as soft **** as Dhoni though, and went through with the appeal unlike Dhoni.
Interesting parallel, I thought Bell's one was more grey than this black and white one.

Bell's had no prior warning, he was not looking to gain any advantage from it and to be honest I thought the right decision was made at lunch (tea, whatever it was). But that's only my opinion, I thought in the interest of the game the best decision was to give Bell not out, and then to recall him based on the spirit of cricket.

This one, Buttler was given ample opportunity to change his actions, he didn't...out.

I recall an England skipper deciding to give Grant Elliott his marching orders after Sidebottom had absolutely flattened him going for a single, after an umpire gave him (Collingwood) an opportunity not to do so. I tell this story for no other reason than we went on to win, and Styris/McCullum/Vettori giving it the **** you's across the changing room stars at The Oval was the sweetest moment I think I've ever witnessed in following my side.

I digress....Michael Clarke has now said he would've done the same thing as the Sri Lankans did. Good on him. Cook can claim the high ground if he likes, but just like the 5-over fiasco that Broad was having a sook about at the T20 World event - their viewpoint is based on bias. I'm not certain if Cook's bowler had given repeated warnings to Jayawardene and he kept creeping out, he would just say 'spirit of the game old chap, not out'

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Interesting parallel, I thought Bell's one was more grey than this black and white one.
I will always remember Trott going back into his crease to ensure that Bell would be the one that got out :laugh: He knew what was going on, Bell was being dumb ala Murali/McCullum a few years back when Sanga got his ton and Murali got out of his crease to celebrate.