• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mankading - Why is it not within the "Spirit of the Game"?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone who suggests the non striker watches the bowler's delivery stride and the ball as it is actually released from the hand has not played cricket at a level beyond that where Mr Otto is the wicket.
no I'm not suggesting that.

My method is simple.

I'm walking down the pitch but I don't leave my crease until I see the ball traveling towards my teammate at the other end.

I imagine thousands of indoor cricketers use the same method.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Next time you play a game of cricket, try doing that and also being in a position to see where the batsman has hit the ball, and immediately judge whether a run is available.

Then reduce the time you have to go from looking at the bowler's hand the the batsman to where the ball has gone by a factor of one third.
If it's impractical to the point of backing up not being an option at all, then so be it. Better than getting out.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Jesus you must be a **** runner between wickets mate
Yes I'm sure hendrix is an awful runner between wickets in situations where he's already had one mankadding warning and is, for some reason, playing under the ICC revised playing conditions for international cricket.

Bet it happens all the time.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Dean Jones is rolling in his future grave at his only meaningful contribution to the game of cricket being destroyed by people on a cricket forum.

Literally all you need to do is stick with the original law and 99% of this problem goes away. Once the bowler's back foot lands, you shouldn't be able to Mankad. End of.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Running between the wickets is literally the only thing in cricket that I do extremely well. DON'T TAKE THIS AWAY FROM ME!

In all seriousness though, I have turned 1s into 3s on occasion, without the help of overthrows or misfields.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Running between the wickets is literally the only thing in cricket that I do extremely well. DON'T TAKE THIS AWAY FROM ME!

In all seriousness though, I have turned 1s into 3s on occasion, without the help of overthrows or misfields.
But obviously with the help of being a head-starting cheater. WAC!

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure if it's been brought up but I did find the hypocrisy of Jayawardene's interview on the matter absolutely hilarious. Consider this:

Jayawardena hits out at 'Mankad' dismissal of Thirimanne | Cricket - News | NDTVSports.com
nah it's really not all that hypocritical if you read what he was saying. The first thing he said was that he placed some of the blame on his own player. The next is that he'd give the batsman a warning, as well as ask the umpire to police it.

What he was saying about Buttler was that they'd warned him twice and spoken to the umpire and by that stage they had no choice but to mankad him since he wasn't cooperating.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
nah it's really not all that hypocritical if you read what he was saying.
The headline is obviously exaggerated click bait but even still, Mahela said:

I would not have taken the bails off in the first place to be honest. I would try and keep it nice and clean and tell the umpires to keep an eye on the guy.
That's obviously not what Sri Lanka did here. They reviewed England's innings from the previous games and made a conscious effort to try and get a mankad dismissal. They did warn him first, but they still went ahead of with the appeal when they got him the second time despite everything Dan pointed out. They didn't just try to make sure he stayed in his crease or talk to the umpires as per the above.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon the writing of dismissals needs to be changed for this. Instead of 'run out', it should be 'mankaded'. It would be great to look through scoreboards and see it occasionally (like handled ball/obstructed field)

Or even "mankaded Senanayake (insert bowler's name)". If bowlers were able to claim these wickets there'd be lots more attempts:D

Riggins

International Captain
Anyone who suggests the non striker watches the bowler's delivery stride and the ball as it is actually released from the hand has not played cricket at a level beyond that where Mr Otto is the wicket.
He's bowling spin. Who doesn't watch the ball out of the hand.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, this is the kind of thing one would expect form the Sri Lankans. No doubt Migara or some other apologist will say this is somehow revenge for colonial oppression or Murali being called for chucking, or some other atrocity.
The skeletons in the cupb oard are surely haunting. Otherwise difficult to hear about these hallucinations.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After seeing the video it's more about conning a cheap wicket in a pathetic manner than it is about stopping Buttler gaining an advantage.

The vast majority of international batsmen could be Mankadded in exactly the same way. Buttler you could argue was lazy but he wasn't gaining any real advantage.

England should just Mankad the whole ****ing lot of them in the Test series as far as I'm concerned. Not that it should be necessary anyway. Sri Lanka sinking below India in the teams I want to see hammered out of sight league.

akilana

International 12th Man
What's your views on Broad refusing to walk after edging? Were the runs he scored after the incident cheap?