• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis vs. Dravid

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I just realized why I don't participate in these debates anymore. I used to do this all the time. What I've found is that not that I necessarily change my mind about who is better, but then when I watch the players, I end up focusing on their percieved flaws which I want to be proven right and wrong, and it sucks the excitement out of the game. Like with Kallis and this thread. And it pisses me off, because he is such an awesome player, and I hate having the subconcious desire to watch him and hoping he proves my point by getting out before a double. I think I might be permanantly done with these vs. threads. I want to focus on his immaculate defense, and his head position, and marvel at his technique. I noticed it happening with other players in the past, and I end up underrating them more than they deserve (I notice this happens all the time with Warne from Murali fans, and with Murali with Warne fans, for example). And as you get deeper and deeper entrenched in your position, your enjoyment of watching that player decreases, and you end up purposefully trying to find ways to underrate the player. I don't necessarily think this happens with everyone, and I'm sure many of you can separate the two, but I notice it happening with me, and I don't want to watch cricket like that.

So here's to Kallis, the best all rounder of this decade, and one of its best batsmen: I hope he scores a double this match (but England still win, I <3 England :p).

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I understand what you mean Manan. However, I don't wish for players to fail but I do like seeing them succeed to feel vindicated.

bagapath

International Captain
In my real life I am expected to be serious. I am a married man. I have people working for me. I am also older than most of you. So it is not possible to be picky and kiddish about cricket with those I spend most of my time with. the 30 mins or so i spend on CW is good tension breaker for me. so SS, I understand what you are going through. but I am not going to give up on these "vs threads" yet.

especially when kallis is involved

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Kallis v Dravid

Both technically excellent players. I always imagined that if you were coaching a kid to bat these two would be the points of reference out of the modern players.

But who is the best?

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Cheers guys, apols for not seeing.

Overall I would rank Dravid slightly higher when in form but Kallis seems to be able to grind out runs even when out of touch. Having said that, when Dravid was in his pomp I thought of him being comparable to the very best batsman the game has ever seen. The way he combined defensive resolute with easy-on-the-eye flicks and strokes was sublime.

Despite Kallis being awesome, as the IPL is proving at the moment, I would just about take Dravid as a batsman.

Teja.

Global Moderator
As a
Batsman: Dravid>Kallis(By a slight but comfortable enough margin)
Bowler: Kallis>Dravid(This puts Kallis ridiculously ahead as a player)
Fielder: Dravid>Kallis
Overall: Kallis>Dravid.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Kallis is the better bat. Has had to play on seaming South African wickets his entire career, plus he has more Test hundreds then Dravid. Kallis averages 50+ in Australia against Warne and McGrath aswell.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Dravid has an excellent record outside India so I don't buy the whole "Kallis did it in seaming conditions" vibe.

Kallis is an excellent batsman and a great player, but Dravid is half a notch above him as a batsman because at his best I believe he was an all-time great.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Definitely both awesome batsmen and I can't split them.
Both technically excellent players. I always imagined that if you were coaching a kid to bat these two would be the points of reference out of the modern players.

But who is the best?
What do Kallis and Dravid do better than Sachin technique wise, out of curiosity.

Always felt Sachin's technique and balance, particularly when playing attacking shots, was the pinnacle.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What do Kallis and Dravid do better than Sachin technique wise, out of curiosity.

Always felt Sachin's technique and balance, particularly when playing attacking shots, was the pinnacle.
Sachin's technique is as good as it gets. Kallis and Dravid are somewhat more imitable though, which I think is the point he was making. You'd generally have more success trying to bat like Kallis than you'd have trying to bat like Tendulkar. For example, Geoff Boycott has commented on how a lot of young batsmen are using very heavy bats (obviously in an attempt to imitate Sachin) and it's affecting their ability to learn how to play certain strokes.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only question mark against Kallis is whether he is a team player

Technically, he is the best and he also scores more runs in better bowling conditions

IMO, Kallis is clearly a better player but both are fantastic players

Himannv

International Coach
Good comparison I reckon. Kallis would obviously be a better player if you include bowling as well. As far as batting is concerned, its hard to seperate the two. Both are very defensively sound and technically very good. Personally I think Kallis is a better bat, simply because his offensive shots are somewhat better while I consider them equals defensively.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Definitely both awesome batsmen and I can't split them.

Uppercut summed it up really. Sachin is a better batsman than both Dravid and Kallis, but you can hardly start to imitate him. Kallis and Dravid, for me anyway, represent a style of play that is both very successful and to some extent can be taught.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
My first reaction is Dravid. As with most things I ask myself why and it becomes more difficult. Let me try nevertheless although I dont think stats can do this any justice :)

I think Dravid is a better player of the swinging delivery and a better player of spin in conditions helpful to the bowler.

Kallis is a better player of medium pace.

Both are good players of the fast stuff although Dravid tends to play it off the back foot more (even in defence) where as Kallis will play back only if it is really short and he wants to cut or pulll/hook. I suspect that gives Dravid a slight edge in really tough conditins against the best of the fast men.

Kallis has become a better player over time and is a much more confident starter of an innings. When he is out of form he is more likely to play determinedly and come out of it..

With Dravid it is the opposite. He has become more tentative and is a slightly nervous starter. When he 'thinks' he is out of form he gets under tremendous pressure and struggles.

I think against a great attack on a bowler friendly wicket with both players in the best of form, I would prefer Dravid.

In good batting conditions it would be even.

If they were both slightly out of form, I would pick Kallis.

I know it sounds like trying to reach an acceptable compromise but it isn't. I genuinly think so :)

Last edited: