• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dhoni greatest OdI cricketer off all-time

gvenkat

State Captain
Nah, Pollock is easily the better batsman and bowler compared to Vaas. If you think Botham sucked, I know how much credibility to afford to your viewpoints now on.
Botham was a great test player and a decent ODI bowler.. He is not in the same class as pollock

He did not get a single 100 in 116 ODI's.. and averaged a paltry 24.. make that 23.21... Dwayne bravo has better stats than him... go figure.. :)

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Botham was a great test player and a decent ODI bowler.. He is not in the same class as pollock
Which is fine, because no one's comparing him to Pollock. Its Moody who's being compared to him, remember?

He did not get a single 100 in 116 ODI's.. and averaged a paltry 24.. make that 23.21... Dwayne bravo has better stats than him... go figure.. :)
Go figure what? Is it your contention that Bravo isn't a good ODI player? You still haven't addressed the Tom Moody question. In case you forgot, you claimed that Jayasuriya is a better ODI player than Tendulkar because he has a World Cup medal while Tendulkar doesn't. So, is Tom Moody, winner of two World Cup medals, a better ODI cricketer than Shaun Pollock or Ian Botham or Jacques Kallis or Lance Klusener? Its a simple question.

gvenkat

State Captain
Go figure what? Is it your contention that Bravo isn't a good ODI player?
Never said that. My point was Bravo in his fledgling international career has better stats than Botham.

You still haven't addressed the Tom Moody question. In case you forgot, you claimed that Jayasuriya is a better ODI player than Tendulkar because he has a World Cup medal while Tendulkar doesn't. So, is Tom Moody, winner of two World Cup medals, a better ODI cricketer than Shaun Pollock or Ian Botham or Jacques Kallis or Lance Klusener? Its a simple question.
You do not get the gist of my message. Tendulkar and Jayasuriya have played more or less equal number of matches and they have been India's and Sri Lanka's go to men for what 15 years now, they are two of the best ODI players, to choose the best amongst the two the WC medal was a tie-breaker

Whereas Moody has played 76 games compared to Kallis or Klusener who have played more than double the amount of games. Comparing Moody with Kallis and Klusener is not going to work. You cannot ask if Sunil Valson, who was in the Indian side that won the WC and did not play a single game a better player than Ian Botham. Compare people with the same pedigree.

Tendulkar and Jayasuriya are two of the best in the business and I'm saying Jayasuriya is the best amongst the two because of his superior all round skills and he helped SL win the WC. And thats just my opinion. :)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Whereas Moody has played 76 games compared to Kallis or Klusener who have played more than double the amount of games. Comparing Moody with Kallis and Klusener is not going to work. You cannot ask if Sunil Valson, who was in the Indian side that won the WC and did not play a single game a better player than Ian Botham. Compare people with the same pedigree.
That's right. Sir Don Bradman played only 50 Test matches, Steve Waugh played 168.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar and Jayasuriya are two of the best in the business and I'm saying Jayasuriya is the best amongst the two because of his superior all round skills and he helped SL win the WC. And thats just my opinion. :)
I dont think Sanath has superior allround skills, Sachin is a pretty decent bowler in ODIs, agreed not as good as Sanath but pretty handy just like Sanath. The batting difference between the two is massive though.

As for performances in the world cup, I must say Sachin is Miles ahead.

gvenkat

State Captain
I dont think Sanath has superior allround skills, Sachin is a pretty decent bowler in ODIs, agreed not as good as Sanath but pretty handy just like Sanath. The batting difference between the two is massive though.

Mate, Agree Sachin is far more superior to Sanath with his batting skill.. But sanath can be destructive.. and i have not seen any one destory the bowlers as good as Sanath.. even Lara or Tendy cannot do that... Sanath Murdered attacks....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Mate, Agree Sachin is far more superior to Sanath with his batting skill.. But sanath can be destructive.. and i have not seen any one destory the bowlers as good as Sanath.. even Lara or Tendy cannot do that... Sanath Murdered attacks....
Nobody can destroy attacks like Afridi either, means nothing. Great fan of Sanath but I think you are way over-stating his caliber. He is an ODI great but clearly a notch or two below Tendulkar who is a notch below Sir Viv Richards.

gvenkat

State Captain
Nobody can destroy attacks like Afridi either, means nothing. Great fan of Sanath but I think you are way over-stating his caliber. He is an ODI great but clearly a notch or two below Tendulkar who is a notch below Sir Viv Richards.
Dont mention afridi with these guys.. please :)

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
come on man, dont be too harsh on xuhaib. i am sure he can stand up for himself but you shouldn't accuse a usually good poster of not having any idea on cricket history. even you got some facts wrong (MOM to Richards for fielding) but it doesnt mean you are a 15 year old who started watching cricket recently.
Sorry to rehash this from yesterday, but I was away from the computer and thought it is something I should respond to.

That paragraph above actually probably says it perfectly. I'm sorry!
Yes, I was wrong about Richards (thats a story I've used for many years, very disillusioned now). I could check my facts before I post, but I'd rather keep with my flow, spew out whatever I'm thinking, then appologise later for any mistakes I might of made.

I was also too harsh on Xuhaib for his crazy Dhoni is best ever thing. I actually understand it. He's living in the moment; I can relate as right now it kinda feels like Mitch Johnson is the best thing ever (even though I know its not the case).

Anyways just a sort of appology for disrespecting someones opinion.
Also an acknowledgement that I was Wrong (re. Richards 1975 WC final; although I wish I wasn't, love the guy)

cheers

bagapath

International Captain
Sorry to rehash this from yesterday, but I was away from the computer and thought it is something I should respond to.

That paragraph above actually probably says it perfectly. I'm sorry!
Yes, I was wrong about Richards (thats a story I've used for many years, very disillusioned now). I could check my facts before I post, but I'd rather keep with my flow, spew out whatever I'm thinking, then appologise later for any mistakes I might of made.

I was also too harsh on Xuhaib for his crazy Dhoni is best ever thing. I actually understand it. He's living in the moment; I can relate as right now it kinda feels like Mitch Johnson is the best thing ever (even though I know its not the case).

Anyways just a sort of appology for disrespecting someones opinion.
Also an acknowledgement that I was Wrong (re. Richards 1975 WC final; although I wish I wasn't, love the guy)

cheers
very graceful and straight forward, like victor trumper himself. way to go dude!

i think akram's name is not mentioned enough while choosing the best ODI cricketer of all-time. he is a bonafide legend of this format and he literally redefined the art of slog over bowling. a few lusty late order hits from that long bat werent too bad either (i remember the last over six he hit of richards to win nehru cup in 1989. was it the last ball too?). apart from countless shattered stumps, broken toes and bruised egos dont forget those magical deliveries in the '92 WC finals. he won the cup for pakistan on that day cleaning up the dangerous lamb and chris lewis with the kind of reverse swing the world hadnt seen till then. even in the '03 WC game against India in which sachin went berserk on everyone, wasim still conceded only 4.7 RPO. a shoo-in for any all time ODI XI.

Last edited:

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Yes Akram would be the first bowler I'd pick as well. Partly for his impact, partly his variation( could vary his swing, pace and runnup), partly his left armedness, partly his allround impact (good field, exciting hitter) and partly his style (kinda what you mentioned with those comparisons in the Trumper thread).

Absolute gun. On style Alone, I'd rate him second ever (ODI) behind Viv (with Gilly 3rd).

:cool:

crazycric

Cricket Spectator
no

i cannot treat dhoni as greatest ODI cricketer..
his carrier centuries are just 3 one against Pakistan(148) in Vizag(INDIA),2nd against srilanka (183*) at Jaipur(INDIA),another vs africaXI in Afro-Asia cup (139*) at chennai(INDIA).
If u look at the venues all are INDIAN venues....he is still to prove as ODI player since he had'nt made a century till now,he is touring many countries as team India player since 4 years or so...but had'nt fullfilled the slot of centuries in outside home soil.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Do they? Tough comparison for me. One keeps wicket, one bowls decently in the middle overs, and they're both pretty good captains (I'd say Dhoni's a bit better, but hasn't been doing it for as long). Sanath's obviously miles ahead in terms of achievements. If you ask me who i'd prefer in my team i probably couldn't give a straight answer.
Add the longevity factor and you'll get you answer clear

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

So you just missed that Jaya is miles ahead of Sachin in fielding and captaincy?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Your comments does not make sense at all. The only thing Sachin is better than Sanath is batting, and batting alone. Every other aspect of the game Sanath is ahead. We are speaking of ODI players, not batsman. Even if you compare with Richards, still Jayasuriya is a better bowler, captain and better on and off field behavior, Fielding they are more or less the same.

bagapath

International Captain
Your comments does not make sense at all. The only thing Sachin is better than Sanath is batting, and batting alone. Every other aspect of the game Sanath is ahead. We are speaking of ODI players, not batsman. Even if you compare with Richards, still Jayasuriya is a better bowler, captain and better on and off field behavior, Fielding they are more or less the same.
my uncle is nowhere near international standard in his cricketing skills but his on and off-field behavior is impeccable. in fact, it is so much better than the rest of the world that the deficiencies in his batting and bowling could very easily be compensated by his good behavior. i think he should be called the greatest ODI cricketer of all-time.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Add the longevity factor and you'll get you answer clear
No, i don't think longevity is relevant when picking players. I'll take who's better, not who's been around for longer.

You can do things differently if you wish.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
No, i don't think longevity is relevant when picking players. I'll take who's better, not who's been around for longer.

You can do things differently if you wish.
Aye, but surely being able to put in consistent performances over a huge period is a skill in itself?