• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dhoni greatest OdI cricketer off all-time

Eclipse

International Debutant
Dhoni being CRIMINALLY underrated here.

The guy averages 49 in ODI cricket at a strike rate of 91.

Seriously how many players in the history of ODI cricket have had an average over 45 and a strike rate over 90 ?

Viv's the only one I can think of ......

Anyone who thinks Gilly is a class above Dhoni in ODI cricket is kidding themselves.
Quite the oposite.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Too premature to make the call of greatest ever.

Complete one day package though, will end up with a fantastic record.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Seriously how many players in the history of ODI cricket have had an average over 45 and a strike rate over 90 ?

Anyone who thinks Gilly is a class above Dhoni in ODI cricket is kidding themselves.....
Yep. Mind you, I'm not saying he's best ever, or anything of the sort. Dhoni still has much more to accomplish in his career, and will end his career as one of the top 10 greatest ODI cricketers IMO.

But... even now, to say he's not in the top 100 ODI cricketers of all time is criminally underrating him (as you said).

He's been playing ODI cricket for quite a while now, and to keep up that record is amazing.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Too premature to make the call of greatest ever.

Complete one day package though, will end up with a fantastic record.
Yeah this, excellent keeper batsmen with leadership and tactical acumen. Hope he doesn't burn out from such a heavy workload.

asty80

School Boy/Girl Captain
Underrated Dhoni

Dhoni is one of those players who are the complete package and are at completely at ease in the international glare. He treats internationals like local matches..
Consider this -
1) When he started, he was a great hitter whom Ganguly used to pulverize oppositions
2) He graduated to playing mature innings
3) He became captain, won the T20 WC
4) Led India to an ODI win in Aus, and later thrashings of Eng, SL in SL and NZ in NZ.
5) Has converted himself into a floater who comes in around the 30th over and invariably sticks around till the end
6) To his credit, he scores runs and remains N.O. Not like many others who remain N.O to boost their avg
7) Provided the solution to Ajantha Mendis in the ODI series when India's fab 4 failed miserably in the test series before that
8) After Ind lost the T20's in NZ, in the first ODI, he came in at No.3 and scored 80 odd to give the batters confidence that this
could be done.

To sum it up, Dhoni is not an attractive strokeplayer like Sehwag, Gilly and Viv and hence will never be considered in their league. IMHO, he is beyond all 3 for the pure fact that he controls the field in whichever capacity he turns up and he brings a lot of intangibles to the table which are priceless.
However, to be fair to the others, it is too early to judge him. If he retires this year, then in my opinion, he is the greatest ODI cricketer ever, not necessarily batsman.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Huh? How can more than one person have a higher SR and average than anyone else in history?
Lots of people (including Davison) have an average higher than Afridi, but no one has a higher strike rate.

Lots of people (including Viru) have an average higher than Davison, but none of them have a higher strike rate.

Lots of people (including Gilchrist) have an average higher than Sehwag, but none of them have a higher strike rate.

Lots of people (including Symonds) have an average higher than Gilchrist, but none of them have a higher strike rate.

Lots of people (including Dhoni) have an average higher than Symonds, but none of them have a higher strike rate.

A few people (including Hussey) have an average higher than Dhoni, but none of them have a higher strike rate [except Guptill, Amla and RTD*].

No one has a higher average than Hussey*, so it doesn't matter that loads of people have higher strike rates.

* My cut off of 20 innings means these three get ignored

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Anyone who thinks Gilly is a class above Dhoni in ODI cricket is kidding themselves.....
Ditto those who rate someone based purely on stats.

Relating to Dhoni, he's been very consistent in racking up the 50's of late, sure. And he's probably a bit under-rated in general. But his average is inflated by the number of not-outs and you only need to look at the number of teams he has an average not too far below his top score against them to see that. Since he bats towards the bottom of the top-6, of course his strike-rate is going to be higher. He's nowhere near someone like Gilly, Tendulkar, Lara, etc. at the present time.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Cricinfo - Players and Officials - MS Dhoni

His Batting stats alone make him almost a lock for an all time odi team and then you add his solid to good keeping and fantastic captaincy and too my mind you get the most complete odi player.

Sachin & Wasim would be close cases but Dhoni covers all bases more efficiently
Of course he is, he is also the most handsome, the strongest, the most virile, has the highest IQ, the greatest sense of humour, the highest sperm count ..............

...... to be continued :dry:

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
I believe this thread would have some credibility if it was titled something like "Is Dhoni a real Gun player who in future may become one of India's best ever ODI performers?"

For anyone to suggest that he is the best ever:laugh:, or even in the 10 best ever is so far off the mark that it only suggests that the writer is too blinkered in their pro-India bias, has little or no historical knowledge, is a fifteen year old out of their league in terms of matches witnessed, or just someone with little knowledge of cricket full-stop.

A little reminder of the gum chewin Antiguin. HE WON M.O.M. IN A WORLD CUP FINAL FOR HIS FIELDING ALONE. :cool: Try beating that. (oh and he was the most devastating batsman the form of the game has yet to see)

cheers

ps And I must say I am a big Dhoni fan!!

bagapath

International Captain
I believe this thread would have some credibility if it was titled something like "Is Dhoni a real Gun player who in future may become one of India's best ever ODI performers?"

For anyone to suggest that he is the best ever:laugh:, or even in the 10 best ever is so far off the mark that it only suggests that the writer is too blinkered in their pro-India bias, has little or no historical knowledge, is a fifteen year old out of their league in terms of matches witnessed, or just someone with little knowledge of cricket full-stop.

A little reminder of the gum chewin Antiguin. HE WON M.O.M. IN A WORLD CUP FINAL FOR HIS FIELDING ALONE. :cool: Try beating that. (oh and he was the most devastating batsman the form of the game has yet to see)

cheers

ps And I must say I am a big Dhoni fan!!
dude, the thread starter is a pakistani. if he has a pro-india bias, then i guess we are living in a nicer world than i feared. he is a dhoni fan just like you say you are. and i am an indian but a bigger wasim akram fan than most pakistanis; i dont think i have a pro-pakistani bias if i claim he is the greatest ODI bowler of all time.

i, too, think the gum chewing antiguan is the greatest cricketer i have seen and would be narrowly ahead of even sachin in ODIs. but he did not win the MOM award for his fielding. Clive Lloyd won the award for his 87 ball 102, at the time the fastest 100 in ODIs, in the 1975 WC final. Richards won the award in the next edition for his 138 not out which included the famous last ball six of hendrix.

Last edited:

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
dude, the thread starter is a pakistani. if he has a pro-india bias, then i guess we are living in a nicer world than i feared. he is a dhoni fan just like you say you are. and i am an indian but a bigger wasim akram fan than most pakistanis; also i dont think i have a pro-pakistani bias if i claim he is the greatest ODI bowler of all time.

i, too, think the gum chewing antiguan is the greatest cricketer i have seen and would be narrowly ahead of even sachin in ODIs.
Ok understood, he must then fall under the other possibilities I mentioned. Besides there are actually others who have supported the Hypothesis.

And mentioning Akram really puts you onside with me. He would be a genuine contender. Super Player.

cheers

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Clive Lloyd won the award for his 87 ball 102, at the time the fastest 100 in ODIs, in the 1975 WC final. Richards won the award in the next edition for his 138 not out which included the famous last ball six of hendrix.

I will check this out, but I think I was right.

bagapath

International Captain
Ok understood, he must then fall under the other possibilities I mentioned.
come on man, dont be too harsh on xuhaib. i am sure he can stand up for himself but you shouldn't accuse a usually good poster of not having any idea on cricket history. even you got some facts wrong (MOM to Richards for fielding) but it doesnt mean you are a 15 year old who started watching cricket recently.

back on topic trumpers_ghost... here are my contenders for top 5 ODI cricketers of all time. you can choose five of them and the other five would naturally make up the rest of top 10 of all time, i think

richards
tendulkar
akram
bevan
garner
waqar
pollock
lara
ponting
murali

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
come on man, dont be too harsh on xuhaib. i am sure he can stand up for himself but you shouldn't accuse a usually good poster of not having any idea on cricket history. even you got some facts wrong (MOM to Richards for fielding) but it doesnt mean you are a 15 year old who started watching cricket recently.

back on topic trumpers_ghost... here are my contenders for top 5 ODI cricketers of all time. you can choose five of them and the other five would naturally make up the rest of top 10 of all time, i think

richards
tendulkar
akram
bevan
garner
waqar
pollock
lara
ponting
murali
Jayasuriya is a GLARING ommision, given his all round ability and captaincy.

gvenkat

State Captain
Jayasuriya and Tendulkar have to be the greatest ODI players ever. In my books Jaya is great becuase he won a WC. End of story.

Let dhoni do what jaya did for 10 years and then we can discuss...

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Jayasuriya and Tendulkar have to be the greatest ODI players ever. In my books Jaya is great becuase he won a WC. End of story.

Let dhoni do what jaya did for 10 years and then we can discuss...
Strictly speaking Jaya and De Silva won it. Dhoni ATM is a better batsman than Jayasuriya. But Jaya's other assets elevates him up to the top of the tree

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Strictly speaking Jaya and De Silva won it. Dhoni ATM is a better batsman than Jayasuriya. But Jaya's other assets elevates him up to the top of the tree
Do they? Tough comparison for me. One keeps wicket, one bowls decently in the middle overs, and they're both pretty good captains (I'd say Dhoni's a bit better, but hasn't been doing it for as long). Sanath's obviously miles ahead in terms of achievements. If you ask me who i'd prefer in my team i probably couldn't give a straight answer.

gvenkat

State Captain
Agree.. But Jaya has a world cup medal, Tendulkar and Dhoni dont. so Jaya is greater than them in the ODI's and the impact he makes in the ODI game is tremendous.. Tendy maybe the greatest player ever.. But Jayasuriya is the best ODI player...