• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dhoni greatest OdI cricketer off all-time

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree.. But Jaya has a world cup medal, Tendulkar and Dhoni dont. so Jaya is greater than them in the ODI's and the impact he makes in the ODI game is tremendous.. Tendy maybe the greatest player ever.. But Jayasuriya is the best ODI player...
Does this mean that the Australians and West Indians with multiple WC medals are better than Jayasuriya?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
A little reminder of the gum chewin Antiguin. HE WON M.O.M. IN A WORLD CUP FINAL FOR HIS FIELDING ALONE. :cool: Try beating that. (oh and he was the most devastating batsman the form of the game has yet to see)!!
I am afraid but that is not correct. Viv did not win MoM in that Final, He won the MoM in the other where he scored a 100.

gvenkat

State Captain
Does this mean that the Australians and West Indians with multiple WC medals are better than Jayasuriya?
mate, see jayasuriya's record over the years and then talk about those Australians and West Indians who have multiple medals. It's more about imapct...

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
mate, see jayasuriya's record over the years and then talk about those Australians and West Indians who have multiple medals. It's more about imapct...
Jayasuriya's record isn't actually very good. Probably doesn't do him justice actually.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Viv "was" the greatest ODI player, But Jayasuriya should be the man now... :) atleast thats my opinion
Fair enough mate. :)

For what it's worth I certainly think Sanath belongs in the discussion - no question. Likewise I'm with you that a WC medal is the pinnacle of achievement in the ODI field. I'm just reluctant to say that having a WC medal automatically makes you better than a player of similar achievements or quality who doesn't have one, particularly if there are others with two or three medals to their names who could be thrown into the mix as well.

gvenkat

State Captain
Fair enough mate. :)

For what it's worth I certainly think Sanath belongs in the discussion - no question. Likewise I'm with you that a WC medal is the pinnacle of achievement in the ODI field. I'm just reluctant to say that having a WC medal automatically makes you better than a player of similar achievements or quality who doesn't have one, particularly if there are others with two or three medals to their names who could be thrown into the mix as well.
good atleast we agree on one point. But Sanath like viv scared bowlers around.. ask the Indian bowlers of the Mid 90's.. sanath has pretty much destroyed careers just by batting..

Prabhakar, Kuruvilla, David johnson are a few indian bowlers that come to mind... :laugh:

P.S : i'm not a lankan...

gvenkat

State Captain
How is that even relevant? Is Kirti Azad a greater ODI cricketer than Shaun Pollock?
What is your point.. Kirti azad has played less than 30 ODI's.. Jaya and Tendy have played more than 400 ODI's.. one has a WC other one does not.. :unsure:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
What is your point.. Kirti azad has played less than 30 ODI's.. Jaya and Tendy have played more than 400 ODI's.. one has a WC other one does not.. :unsure:
If number of games comes into it, is Chaminda Vaas a greater ODI cricketer than Shaun Pollock? Is Tom Moody a greater ODI cricketer than Ian Botham?

gvenkat

State Captain
If number of games comes into it, is Chaminda Vaas a greater ODI cricketer than Shaun Pollock? Is Tom Moody a greater ODI cricketer than Ian Botham?
Vaas is as good a ODI cricketer as Polly is... regarding moody and botham both suck.. so dont take them in to account :laugh:

Xuhaib

International Coach
I believe this thread would have some credibility if it was titled something like "Is Dhoni a real Gun player who in future may become one of India's best ever ODI performers?"

For anyone to suggest that he is the best ever:laugh:, or even in the 10 best ever is so far off the mark that it only suggests that the writer is too blinkered in their pro-India bias, has little or no historical knowledge, is a fifteen year old out of their league in terms of matches witnessed, or just someone with little knowledge of cricket full-stop.

A little reminder of the gum chewin Antiguin. HE WON M.O.M. IN A WORLD CUP FINAL FOR HIS FIELDING ALONE. :cool: Try beating that. (oh and he was the most devastating batsman the form of the game has yet to see)

cheers

ps And I must say I am a big Dhoni fan!!
Dhoni averages near 50 with a strike rate above 90 in over 100+ games if these stats don't deserve legend status then what does and we still have not considered his solid keeping and inspirational captaincy.

Those who are complaining about his high number of NO's big deal the guy is striking above 90 and is still getting NO's which is phenomenal and not a negative point for him its not like he is getting 13*(9) or 21*(23) he comes in the middle order and always gets the job done whether chasing or setting targets.

Yes Viv was a great but a Viv can be canceled out by a Sachin, Bevan or an Abbas but who can cancel out Dhoni in an ODI is it Gilly? Steward? or a Moin imo there has been no odi cricketer who provides as much advantage to his team over the opposition as Dhoni does the only guy who comes close is Polly or Jayasuriya I feel.

Yes and whats wrong in having a personal oponion there were quite a few cricket pundits who thought McCabe was better then Don did that make them fifteen year old out of their league in terms of matches witnessed, or just someone with little knowledge of cricket?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Dhoni's career has just begun, If he can manage this consistency over years then yes he would become a candidate for best ever,. That said, I am not sure how would anyone who has watched Sir Viv play would accept anyone else as better than him.

I am sorry but I do not think I will ever see a batsman better than the King, in ODIs.

Xuhaib

International Coach
dude, the thread starter is a pakistani. if he has a pro-india bias, then i guess we are living in a nicer world than i feared. he is a dhoni fan just like you say you are. and i am an indian but a bigger wasim akram fan than most pakistanis; i dont think i have a pro-pakistani bias if i claim he is the greatest ODI bowler of all time.

i, too, think the gum chewing antiguan is the greatest cricketer i have seen and would be narrowly ahead of even sachin in ODIs. but he did not win the MOM award for his fielding. Clive Lloyd won the award for his 87 ball 102, at the time the fastest 100 in ODIs, in the 1975 WC final. Richards won the award in the next edition for his 138 not out which included the famous last ball six of hendrix.
Actually Indian cricketers have quite a following in Pakistan especially Sachin the only non-Pakistani who might have a bigger following then him is Lara I think

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Vaas is as good a ODI cricketer as Polly is... regarding moody and botham both suck.. so dont take them in to account :laugh:
Nah, Pollock is easily the better batsman and bowler compared to Vaas. If you think Botham sucked, I know how much credibility to afford to your viewpoints now on.

bagapath

International Captain
Actually Indian cricketers have quite a following in Pakistan especially Sachin the only non-Pakistani who might have a bigger following then him is Lara I think
my point was about a pakistani having an indian bias and an indian having a pakistani bias. i am sure indian cricketers/ a.r. rahman/ mani ratnam/ shah rukh khan/ amitabh bachchan are liked in pakistan, just like imran/ akram/ nusrat fateh ali khan/ junoon are popular in india. that is different from having an indian/ pakistani bias.

the point i was making to trumpers_ghost was xuhaib being a pakistani cannot be biased towards an indian cricketer like dhoni. you must really be a fan of his to claim he is the greatest ODI cricketer ever - which is wrong IMO, though.

i was wrong in leaving out sanath jayasuriya in my shortlist of ten ODI cricketers. he belongs in it definitely.

Last edited: