• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Chris Gayle some sort of perverted misogynist or can everyone just settle down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
how have you guys managed to make this thread worse?

Anyway back on topic:

Do people think that if there were no stories and claims of other instances of similar (or worse in the case of the indecent exposure story) behaviour by Gayle, that he would have been allowed back in the BBL and there wouldn't be talk about banning him? i.e if this was the only incident which people had a problem with.

It seems to me this has snowballed based on the fact everyone is now coming out with other examples of him being a dick to women (no pun intended)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So, when Chris Gayle praises Mel McLaughlin's eyes and asks her out for drinks that's the most serious kind of offence.

But when Malcolm Knox launches a racist attack to Chris Gayle that's just freedom of speech.

Nice
Which government or court actions did I suggest be taken in response to Chris Gayle's comments? I didn't suggest he should be sued, or charged with an offence, or reprimanded by a media regulatory body, or face any legal ramifications whatever, or anything like that.. which is precisely the position I'm also taking here.

Both are examples of free speech. Both are also examples of inappropriate speech. If you look back through the thread you'll also see I called out Knox for writing an absolutely terrible article. Chris Gayle voluntarily agreed to a contract with his employer which gave them the power to dock his pay if he said something inappropriate while he was representing his employer, and so that's what happened. If you suggested that Knox should be fired or punished in some way by his employer then that would've been a fair position to take, even though it should probably apply to the editor who approved the piece as well, but that's not what you said. You suggested there should be some sort of legal ramifications for him, and then acted massively surprised when sledger suggested that he didn't think telling journalists what to print was an appropriate role for government.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Knox didn't sincerely launch a racist tirade btw, weldone. It was a bit of crappy work of satirical humour to try to convey a larger message.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Knox didn't sincerely launch a racist tirade btw, weldone. It was a bit of crappy work of satirical humour to try to convey a larger message.
I think that was his intention, but I think it's a bit worse than that due to this:

More to the point, the rest of the Caribbean doesn't deserve nonsense like this.
It's fair enough to say that making a point about how making light of structural disadvantage and prejudice isn't funny when you're on the receiving end of it could justify Knox saying that to Gayle, but he decided to publish it publicly, meaning other Jamaicans are subjected to it. Even if they understand the satire, that'd still be a **** thing to have to read if you were an Australian of Jamaican descent. I don't think it means Knox is a racist but it's a really, really dire article.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah there's many a middle-aged Australian who overrates the drollness to be found in his facetious gags. If weldone's going to lock them all up though, it's going to take a while.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Which government or court actions did I suggest be taken in response to Chris Gayle's comments? I didn't suggest he should be sued, or charged with an offence, or reprimanded by a media regulatory body, or face any legal ramifications whatever, or anything like that.. which is precisely the position I'm also taking here.

Both are examples of free speech. Both are also examples of inappropriate speech. If you look back through the thread you'll also see I called out Knox for writing an absolutely terrible article. Chris Gayle voluntarily agreed to a contract with his employer which gave them the power to dock his pay if he said something inappropriate while he was representing his employer, and so that's what happened. If you suggested that Knox should be fired or punished in some way by his employer then that would've been a fair position to take, even though it should probably apply to the editor who approved the piece as well, but that's not what you said. You suggested there should be some sort of legal ramifications for him, and then acted massively surprised when sledger suggested that he didn't think telling journalists what to print was an appropriate role for government.
Ya fair enough

Groundking

International Debutant
Honestly I have no idea why people are pissed about this. I mean for real? How is anything he said inappropriate? And if it is, how is what she did to a guy who was working out not even worse? And why did she didn't get fined? This hyper-sensitive PC Feminazi progressive moronic movement is beyond ********.

Spark

Global Moderator
Honestly I have no idea why people are pissed about this. I mean for real? How is anything he said inappropriate? And if it is, how is what she did to a guy who was working out not even worse? And why did she didn't get fined? This hyper-sensitive PC Feminazi progressive moronic movement is beyond ********.

:lol:

this is easily the best post in the thread

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Haha, I don't know whether you saw the article before writing this post but it's very, very apt all of a sudden.
Ha ha, I hadn't read it until I saw your post. This just takes it to a whole new level of crassnes. Hopefully it's so bad that everyone calms down a bit now.

As some people have said, this sort of stupidity and the general beahviour of the Aussie media are just detracting from the fact that Gayle behaved like a complete idiot and was quite rightly punished.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
how have you guys managed to make this thread worse?

Anyway back on topic:

Do people think that if there were no stories and claims of other instances of similar (or worse in the case of the indecent exposure story) behaviour by Gayle, that he would have been allowed back in the BBL and there wouldn't be talk about banning him? i.e if this was the only incident which people had a problem with.

It seems to me this has snowballed based on the fact everyone is now coming out with other examples of him being a dick to women (no pun intended)
Dunno. It's very easy for these things to snowball once they become a thing on social media which Gayle's comments were always going to do. Might not have had Ian Chappell piping up and demanding a worldwide ban, but generally speaking I reckon this was always going to cause a mudslide of **** to be unleashed.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Race may be a factor, of course, but don't see why you are giving it credence on the basis of one article. Agree with sledger though that this article will give ammunition to people who think this is a racial issue.
Even that Knox guy is just one person.. Blaming the backlash on race is not substantiated with anything IMO.
OS wasn't doing that though.

The fine and most of the criticism towards Gayle has been exactly what was needed (with the fine being possibly a bit too low). Anything beyond that stinks to me.

cnerd123

likes this
Lmao @ weldone. That was hilarious to read.

This post is brilliant too:

Please post more groundking. We are getting closer to 1000.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australian law is such that if Gayle was deemed reasonably likely to be offended by the comments and Knox sought to profit from them, he could indeed actually be sued by Gayle. I don't think he'd be at all likely to be successful in this case but there's legislation and precedent for journalists straight up being sued for being racist.

This is an absolutely ridiculous line to go down though. I think the thread may have hit a new low. Pull your head in weldone.
Are you talking about the Andrew Bolt case?

Status
Not open for further replies.