• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Chris Gayle some sort of perverted misogynist or can everyone just settle down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Australian law is such that if Gayle was deemed reasonably likely to be offended by the comments and Knox sought to profit from them, he could indeed actually be sued by Gayle. I don't think he'd be at all likely to be successful in this case but there's legislation and precedent for journalists straight up being sued for being racist.

This is an absolutely ridiculous line to go down though. I think the thread may have hit a new low. Pull your head in weldone.
Blimey, you can actually sue someone on the basis of being offended?! ITSTL. Here you have to show that reputation has been harmed, or that privacy has been infringed, or there has been some economic loss and so on. I assumed it would be the same in Aus.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Blimey, you can actually sue someone on the basis of being offended?! ITSTL. Here you have to show that reputation has been harmed, or that privacy has been infringed, or there has been some economic loss and so on. I assumed it would be the same in Aus.
Not for any offence, specifically for race.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
The entire article is pure filth, but I am just quoting one small part

"We understand you come from a different culture, any Jamaican woman love being chatted up by a big man like you or me. Is different deh.
You da man, brethren. You people have such lovely big smiles, the way your teeth and your own sparkly eyes shine out in the night-time"

Are journalists in Australia allowed to write this? Is sledger suggesting this be allowed? Seriously? Just imagine what more can be written in this line if so. Purely racist newspapers and magazines can come out full of articles like this everyday. Cricsim can publish its own newspaper :p

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The entire article is pure filth, but I am just quoting one small part

"We understand you come from a different culture, any Jamaican woman love being chatted up by a big man like you or me. Is different deh.
You da man, brethren. You people have such lovely big smiles, the way your teeth and your own sparkly eyes shine out in the night-time"

Are journalists in Australia allowed to write this? Is sledger suggesting this be allowed? Seriously? Just imagine what more can be written in this line if so. Purely racist newspapers and magazines can come out full of articles like this everyday. Cricsim can publish its own newspaper :p
I am absolutely saying it should be allowed. That's not to say I think it would be right for somebody to write such a piece, but I have already made this abundantly clear.

In any case, regardless of what I think, potentially criminalizing certain types of speech and making certain types of speech a civil offence are different matters, and you don't appear to have any grasp on this.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Have you seriously never come across someone who actually believes in freedom of speech before? You seem completely aghast by the suggestion that maybe the government shouldn't get to decide what journalists can say. You do realise you can think it's a terrible article without thinking it should actually be banned, right?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I am absolutely saying it should be allowed. That's not to say I think it would be right for somebody to write such a piece, but I have already made this abundantly clear.

In any case, regardless of what I think, potentially criminalizing certain types of speech and making certain types of speech a civil offence are different matters, and you don't appear to have any grasp on this.
Sure, I made it abundantly clear that I am no law expert. You maybe the best law expert in the world, but there's no point attacking me repeatedly on this. I said from a humanitarian and ethical PoV, the writers of these kind of articles should receive serious punishment. I didn't comment about name of act, or date of act, or other technicalities as those are trivial to me.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Sure, I made it abundantly clear that I am no law expert. You maybe the best law expert in the world, but there's no point attacking me repeatedly on this. I said from a humanitarian and ethical PoV, the writers of these kind of articles should receive serious punishment. I didn't comment about name of act, or date of act, or other technicalities as those are trivial to me.
I'm not attacking you, I'm just pointing out your foolishness in making broad proclamations about the law, then following it up with the caveat that you know nothing about it, and then in this post you appear to have suggested that the substantive elements of the law are "trivial". Odd posting tstl.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Have you seriously never come across someone who actually believes in freedom of speech before? You seem completely aghast by the suggestion that maybe the government shouldn't get to decide what journalists can say. You do realise you can think it's a terrible article without thinking it should actually be banned, right?
So, when Chris Gayle praises Mel McLaughlin's eyes and asks her out for drinks that's the most serious kind of offence.

But when Malcolm Knox launches a racist attack to Chris Gayle that's just freedom of speech.

Nice

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
So, when Chris Gayle praises Mel McLaughlin's eyes and asks her out for drinks that's the most serious kind of offence.

But when Malcolm Knox launches a racist attack to Chris Gayle that's just freedom of speech.

Nice
This is a laughably poor post. I'm sorry, but this is just dreadful.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not attacking you, I'm just pointing out your foolishness in making broad proclamations about the law, then following it up with the caveat that you know nothing about it, and then in this post you appear to have suggested that the substantive elements of the law are "trivial". Odd posting tstl.
It's a bit rich coming from you, given that the last 1-2 pages of this thread will clearly indicate that you are as clueless about the law as I am.

Spark

Global Moderator
I didn't think we'd get both kinds of bad free speech arguments in the same thread, but here we are...

Status
Not open for further replies.