• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Guess who's coming to dinner...

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Fantastic thread idea Burgey, So many to choose from but I reckon I’d have:

Don Bradman - To say hello to and shake the hand of God. I don’t think I would mind if he left after two minutes and no one else showed up, it would still be the best night ever.

Keith Miller – Once I’d broken the news that it would be an all male dinner table and convinced him to come anyway, he’d keep us all spellbound with his tales of cricket, flying and women while drinking the place dry.

CB Fry – If Neville Cardus is to be believed, it’s eminently possible that no one else would get a word in once Fry got going. Moreover, when you look at his CV and life story, I don’t think anyone would care a jot. He was offered the Kingdom of Albania FFS.

Fred Trueman – Arguably the most quotable man in cricket, I’d be trying to write down his every quip and observation to pass of as my own at some point in the future.

Frank Worrell – Alan Davidson put it best: capital S, capital I, capital R. It would be an honour and a privilege to shake his hand.

I’ve little doubt that if I was offered a dinner party on the following weekend this list would change completely and I would find five equally worthy and fascinating guests.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Matthew Hayden, Kevin Pietersen, Sir Donald Bradman, Shane Warne and Jacques Kallis.

Tendulkar, Lara and Ponting all have poor table manners tbh.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hmm, tough one. I'd look for people who not only have tremendous stories with regards to the game, but also those of characters who were almost larger than the game...

For me:

Warne
Tendulkar
Viv
Bradman
WG Grace

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
- Bradman : A chance to see God. Wow!

- Sir Frank Worrell

- Sir Gary Sobers

- Arthur Morris

- Sachin Tendulkar

To be honest, these guys aren't exactly all my favourite players. I've been in the presence of Shane Warne before for an extended period of time and I just stared right at him most of the time in shock. However, it'd be so fascinating just to know what they think about cricket, history and their different viewpoints. In fairness, if only Bradman turned up and just said 'hello' (Thanks 12th Man), I'd still die a happy man

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Ponting, Gavaskar, Neil Harvey, Botham and Ian Chappell

All you need is the popcorn and you're set.
Most of these guys are thick as hell though. The conversation would be two steps below this board.

In this scenario I'd want people with interesting stories and brains, often amazing sportsmen are unbelievably dull as personalities. I'd have to consider this one.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Nasser Hussain (my favourite commentator)
Mark Nicholas (good fun, entertaining speaker)
Shane Watson (eye candy)
Charlotte Edwards (would really like to meet her)
Mike Atherton (my favourite ever player)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Keith Miller, Shane Warne, Ian Botham, SF Barnes and Viv Richards. Aiming for a lot of steak, beer and general cricket-related craic.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Keith Miller, Shane Warne, Ian Botham, SF Barnes and Viv Richards. Aiming for a lot of steak, beer and general cricket-related craic.
The problem will be to get Barnes to open his mouth and to get Both to shut his :)

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd have Don Bradman and Jack Fingleton on one side of the table

... and Douglas Jardine and Harold Larwood on the other

I'd obviously be at one end of the table, and I'd have my old friend Ian Chappell at the other

There'd be plenty of English ale for the drinking of but the food may not be up to much as I'd need Burgey and Mr Z as chefs - not knocking their culinary abilities as I know nowt about them but, as I'm going to be judge and jury, both sides will need to be legally represented - might be best to get Tony Greig to deliver a pizza

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I would love to have Sachin come for dinner. Have always wondered what is going on inside the politically correct exterior of his. What did he feel about the match fixing episode and the other controversies like Sydney and the Denness issue.

I am pretty sure we will remain forever in the dark about his side of the events as I don't see him publishing a tell all book.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I'd have Don Bradman and Jack Fingleton on one side of the table

... and Douglas Jardine and Harold Larwood on the other

I'd obviously be at one end of the table, and I'd have my old friend Ian Chappell at the other

There'd be plenty of English ale for the drinking of but the food may not be up to much as I'd need Burgey and Mr Z as chefs - not knocking their culinary abilities as I know nowt about them but, as I'm going to be judge and jury, both sides will need to be legally represented - might be best to get Tony Greig to deliver a pizza
That should be great fun.

Himannv

International Coach
5 people? Hmmm.. Considering my favourites, would invite the following:

Jack Hobbs
Harold Larwood
Don Bradman
Victor Trumper
Malcolm Marshall

If I really want entertainment though I'd go with (Ian) Chappell, Boycott, Warne, Viv Richards and Ranatunga. :D

Jarquis

Very nearly created a thread similar to this in OT after a discussion with my History teacher, didn't get round to it as I didn't get onto a computer.
For me I have no idea right at this moment. Graeme Swann would be there for sure.

social

Warne
Marrshall
Botham
Sobers
Miller

I'm more interested in a few drinks and a good time - the cricket is a by-product