• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D - France, Denmark, Tunisia, Australia

Who will qualify from the group?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Aussies started well but were never going to be able to hold that goal. That’s one of the worst Aussie sides I have ever seen. A complete lack of speed allowed France to torch them. If the other 2 sides have less speed then they might be ok to grab a couple of draws.
Just qualifying was an unexpected bonus for us

Team is far from good so I am not as optimistic as some

4-0 victories in remaining games ?

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Haven’t watched qualifying so it was a bit of a shock to see such a poor effort. The RB was really bad. The 2 strikers were really bad. The keeper seemed dodgy which is always a sign of a team out of place.

Hope there’s some youngsters around because right now Qatar and Costa Rica are the only worst teams I have seen.

ripper868

International Coach
if Duke/Cummins are our only striging options, we've fallen a looooong way from Viduka/Kewell/Bresciano/Cahill/Kennedy (reaching). heck, I'd probably take Stan Lazaridis up front.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It feels weird that the Socceroos are way worse than what they were 15-20 years ago when you consider the sport has arguably more support than it did back then. Was the NSL just that much better at developing players than the A-League?

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
The A-League improving might be bad for the national team if prospects don’t go to Europe as early or as often.
You see this with the US where the good young players are now more commonly going to Europe than go to College for 4 years.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It feels weird that the Socceroos are way worse than what they were 15-20 years ago when you consider the sport has arguably more support than it did back then. Was the NSL just that much better at developing players than the A-League?
I think Australian sports "professionalism" was also well ahead of a lot of the world tbh. Now countries with a far stronger football orientated culture have caught up and are reaping the rewards.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wonder if a small part of it is some guys who would otherwise have tried their luck in Europe have stayed here because they can make a bit of a living in the A League.

The 2006 side was packed with guys who plied their trade in Europe, and a lot of them went when they were pretty young. I'm pretty sure like 80-90% of that was because they were just better but iirc there were some guys who were sort of fringe level players who persisted and eventually made it. I guess noqwadays if you aren't scouted really young you might settle for an A League career maybe.

It's not something I've thought a lot about though. Maybe we were just lucky to have so many good players at once.

Edit: or what UC said

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder if a small part of it is some guys who would otherwise have tried their luck in Europe have stayed here because they can make a bit of a living in the A League.

The 2006 side was packed with guys who plied their trade in Europe, and a lot of them went when they were pretty young. I'm pretty sure like 80-90% of that was because they were just better but iirc there were some guys who were sort of fringe level players who persisted and eventually made it. I guess noqwadays if you aren't scouted really young you might settle for an A League career maybe.

It's not something I've thought a lot about though. Maybe we were just lucky to have so many good players at once.

Edit: or what UC said
There’s very few guys making a good salary in A league though

social

There’s been quite a few commenting upon the decline of Australian football including Mark Schwarzer

Lots of criticism regarding the cost of junior pathways and standard of coaching

I would also speculate that the changing demographics of immigration has played a part - now dominated by Asia whereas previously it was European

duffer

The A-League improving might be bad for the national team if prospects don’t go to Europe as early or as often.
They go to Asian leagues too these days. Money talks and the players jump as soon as they can

Son Of Coco

You do wonder about our junior development pathways and talent recognition when a bloke like Cristian Volpato gets knocked back here by Sydney FC and the Wanderers and then goes to Italy and kills it.

Why wouldn't you tell Australia to go **** themselves?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think you’re all missing the most obvious reason for the ineptitude which is the inherent genetic inability of Australians to master the sport.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I would also speculate that the changing demographics of immigration has played a part - now dominated by Asia whereas previously it was European
There's probably something in that; for a good while the Socceroos looked to be propped up by the first and second generation sons of Italian, Greek and former Yugoslavian immigrants.

Now, as the generations slide by, integration continues and the familial ties that bound them to the round ball code loosen. There's more competition for athletic talent in Australia than anywhere else, no other country is serious about four football codes.

There's enough Greek and Italian heritage talent playing league to supply pretty much all their squads for the recently concluded world cup.

I personally think the lack of a second division of the A-League isn't helping either; managers of football clubs by and large don't give a toss about developing players for the national side, so they're going to play their best XIs. This leads to a bottleneck of talent and, with nowhere in Oz to go, younger players are going to take the option to move abroad and, like the instance Cokes mentions above, potentially be lost to the Socceroos.

Plus, obviously, closing down the centre of excellence was Mr Magoo level short-sightedness too.

social

There's probably something in that; for a good while the Socceroos looked to be propped up by the first and second generation sons of Italian, Greek and former Yugoslavian immigrants.

Now, as the generations slide by, integration continues and the familial ties that bound them to the round ball code loosen. There's more competition for athletic talent in Australia than anywhere else, no other country is serious about four football codes.

There's enough Greek and Italian heritage talent playing league to supply pretty much all their squads for the recently concluded world cup.

I personally think the lack of a second division of the A-League isn't helping either; managers of football clubs by and large don't give a toss about developing players for the national side, so they're going to play their best XIs. This leads to a bottleneck of talent and, with nowhere in Oz to go, younger players are going to take the option to move abroad and, like the instance Cokes mentions above, potentially be lost to the Socceroos.

Plus, obviously, closing down the centre of excellence was Mr Magoo level short-sightedness too.
Son of a friend was in the U15s for Asian Cup and in U17s for World Cup until suffering a knee injury which ruled him out for a year

Came back at an in between age and played u20s (?) for an A league team and in senior squad

Now in US at a Div 1 College on a full scholarship for 4 years

Highly unlikely that he plays pro football in Australia again as he missed his window and soccer became a means for him to get a top degree for free

Alternative was playing for no real money here & HECS bill for dentistry

Son Of Coco

Son of a friend was in the U15s for Asian Cup and in U17s for World Cup until suffering a knee injury which ruled him out for a year

Came back at an in between age and played u20s (?) for an A league team and in senior squad

Now in US at a Div 1 College on a full scholarship for 4 years

Highly unlikely that he plays pro football in Australia again as he missed his window and soccer became a means for him to get a top degree for free

Alternative was playing for no real money here & HECS bill for dentistry
Yeah, my cousin had a full scholarship in the US for soccer too. She was in the Australian junior girls teams up to Under 19s and got to travel at around Europe etc playing. However, at that time if she had gone on to play for the Australian senior team, there was very little money in it. If it was like it is today, she probably would have continued on, but she took the scholarship instead and studied to be a physio.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Coming up to 9pm in my beloved Sydney. @Burgey didn't invite me over to watch the game over in tge eastern suburbs I was looking forward to the lemon meringues but never mind. Let's go Aussies. Channel the spirit of Aloisi 2005 !!!!