• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fixing Scandal!!!!!

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I once took a fiver to be out first ball in a school match. I know some things are sacred but that was two weeks paper round money.
My team mates asked all of us over a beer how much we would charge to get out on purpose in a club game. I said I would do it for $1000. People got quite upset with me and said they wouldn't do it for any sum of money. My theory is who really cares if someone is on the take in a Wellington 3rd grade club game. Still as I listened to them berate me I wondered if I had given the wrong answer. Some of them said they put their heart and soul into the game so to find out someone was working for the other team would be gutting.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My team mates asked all of us over a beer how much we would charge to get out on purpose in a club game. I said I would do it for $1000. People got quite upset with me and said they wouldn't do it for any sum of money. My theory is who really cares if someone is on the take in a Wellington 3rd grade club game. Still as I listened to them berate me I wondered if I had given the wrong answer. Some of them said they put their heart and soul into the game so to find out someone was working for the other team would be gutting.
I think you were asked an unfair question, and probably didn't think it through properly anyway, as I suspect your answer would be different if the game concerned were a cup final, a friendly match where the result didn't matter, or a league game where the result made no difference to one side's season, but would be a crucial one to the other

......... mind you the reality is that its difficult to imagine you getting such an offer unless there is a bet going on somewhere else, so you'd arguably be guilty of conspiracy to defraud whichever way you cut it :dry:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
There was a story in our association a couple of years back that in a dead match during the last round of the competition, a team said they'd lose provided the opposition gave their opening bowler fast bowler a 5-fer, so he could get the club's bowling aggregate.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
There was a story in our association a couple of years back that in a dead match during the last round of the competition, a team said they'd lose provided the opposition gave their opening bowler fast bowler a 5-fer, so he could get the club's bowling aggregate.
ITSTL

I've been involved in a two day match against another team from our club where I was instructed a draw is not allowed, either they win outright or we win outright.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Im not across this new McCullum v Cairns, with injunctions, clear folders labelled BMC, and anything else that may be developing. I've read news articles but it appears there are gagging orders and information that is unable to be released at this time.

Can anyone shed light on it for me, possibly in regards to a story in the Sunday NZ papers involving McCullum and a mental skills coach?

Athlai

Not Terrible
All of the news on it was to say that McCullum via his former mental skills coach had put a gag order in place in regards to a development. They're effectively reporting on not being able to report something entirely to get clicks/sell papers.

The content of what this actually entails is not available to the public, could be something, could be nothing.

All I know is that reporting you can't report something is a dick move.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
All of the news on it was to say that McCullum via his former mental skills coach had put a gag order in place in regards to a development. They're effectively reporting on not being able to report something entirely to get clicks/sell papers.

The content of what this actually entails is not available to the public, could be something, could be nothing.

All I know is that reporting you can't report something is a dick move.
Dick move, modern-day journalism...basically the same vernacular.

Just seems really strange that a gagging order was placed through his mental skills coach. That strikes me as the domain of a lawyer, a manager...but not a guy whose employed to get his head right on-field.

It appears to me that Cairns' MO has been to fling mud toward those around him, hoping it will make him look less soiled.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Dick move, modern-day journalism...basically the same vernacular.

Just seems really strange that a gagging order was placed through his mental skills coach. That strikes me as the domain of a lawyer, a manager...but not a guy whose employed to get his head right on-field.

It appears to me that Cairns' MO has been to fling mud toward those around him, hoping it will make him look less soiled.
I think you're reading it wrong. His former mental skills coach is the guy that seems to have been supplying information (supposedly defamatory) to Cairns, in what can be assumed to be an attempt to discredit McCullum's testimony.

I'll let the trial take place etc but Cairns is looking more and more horrible here.

The UK Metro police themselves are the ones who requested the gag order on the Herald. I imagine they want to protect their witness.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think you're reading it wrong. His former mental skills coach is the guy that seems to have been supplying information (supposedly defamatory) to Cairns, in what can be assumed to be an attempt to discredit McCullum's testimony.

I'll let the trial take place etc but Cairns is looking more and more horrible here.

The UK Metro police themselves are the ones who requested the gag order on the Herald. I imagine they want to protect their witness.
Sorry right, I'm way off course - which is why I come to CW to straighten me up.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It sounds like he had an inkling that Ross was getting sacked but so what? So did probably everyone in the team. Noone's going to say they knew Ross would get sacked because that would sound like you were part of a conspiracy.

It's certainly not something that will discredit his character in regards to a matchfixing enquiry.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It sounds like he had an inkling that Ross was getting sacked but so what? So did probably everyone in the team. Noone's going to say they knew Ross would get sacked because that would sound like you were part of a conspiracy.

It's certainly not something that will discredit his character in regards to a matchfixing enquiry.
Yeah that's an extremely long bow. But I don't doubt that the Cairns camp will go to every length to drag down all around him.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's also a pretty reasonable assumption that the former mental skills coach Schwalger is not acting particularly honourably. If he had something serious to say about McCullum, he'd go to the police, the ACSU, NZ cricket or anyone else. I can't think of any reason in which he'd go to Cairns with such information unless he has a personal vendetta (e.g. for getting fired).