• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fixing Scandal!!!!!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Saw an ad with Graeme Swann on it over here advertising betting, talking specifically about how good a game cricket is for gambling. Seriously, who was advising him? Thought it came over really really badly for a guy so soon out of international cricket.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
The Diary: Cairns rolls up sleeves to provide for family - Entertainment - NZ Herald News

With legal bills mounting, former cricket star Chris Cairns, 44, is out working for his family ... any work.

He is driving a council truck and water-blasting bus shelters around Auckland for $17 an hour, his best friend, Dion Nash, told The Diary.

"He's trying really hard and supporting his family the best way he can. He's not moping around, he's showing guts and doing hard work by cleaning bus shelters. All I can do is support him, but as a friend it is really hard to watch his name being dragged through the mud with no conclusion in sight. He's a champion guy and he will come through this stronger," Nash said.

The manual labour is a far cry from the glitz and glamour of Dubai where the former high-flying Black Cap worked in 2010 as a diamond trader, using his skills to purchase the 3.2 carat rock with which he proposed to his third wife, Mel Croser.

This week, the mother-of-two told a women's magazine that her husband had resorted to taking the cleaning contract because "he has no choice, he has to provide for his family ... We have bills to pay like everyone else. We don't own a house, we're paying rent like many other people and getting by is a struggle".

Cairns and his 34-year-old wife, who works fulltime in a project management role, live in exclusive Herne Bay, Auckland's most expensive suburb, where neighbours include Karl Urban, David Cunliffe and best friend Nash.

The father-of-four has steadfastly denied all cheating claims and patiently awaits resolution to the official investigation.

On Friday night, at a Britomart hotspot where newsreader Wendy Petrie was holding court, The Diary observed Cairns at the bar.

He bowed out graciously, apparently after hearing some taunts and mockery from other patrons.

His best friend says he knows he'll just have to cop it until his name is cleared.

"I'm sure he feels like an outcast, and people don't make things easy for him," said Nash.

"But does he go someplace where no one knows him? Until he proves his innocence he just has to soak it up and work hard."

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Am not suggesting he is innocent. But if he is then hard work will help him. Ralph Waldo emerson wrote a poem and said essentially "when the naysayers have damaged your good name, just do your work and a little bit of the evil will be undone."

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Really sad to see him in this tough position. I hope he gets through this and it's good to see the hard work he is putting in to support his family. All the best to him.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Saw an ad with Graeme Swann on it over here advertising betting, talking specifically about how good a game cricket is for gambling. Seriously, who was advising him? Thought it came over really really badly for a guy so soon out of international cricket.
Yeah, that's on here too, really weird, him and Blofeld discussing how cricket is perfect for betting because you can "bet on every ball". Good work Swanneh, advocate spot betting.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Saw that a lot while watching the cricket whilst I was in Eng. Putrid ad.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Chris Cairns to be charged with perjury - Cricket - NZ Herald News

Cricketing great Chris Cairns is to be charged by the Metropolitan Police for perjury.

The Herald has learned from sources close to the investigation that Cairns will be invited to travel to London, where he will be officially charged. A spokesman for the Met Police said no statement would be made until that time occurs.

Cairns has denied any wrongdoing and described match-fixing allegations against him as "despicable lies".

Cairns' file has been with the Crown Prosecution Service since the Met Police, whose representatives have travelled to New Zealand several times over the past year, recently wrapped up their investigation.

The perjury charge stems from a High Court libel trial in London when the former allrounder won damages of £90,000 and costs against Lalit Modi, the former boss of the Indian Premier League.

Modi had tweeted that the reason Cairns had been expelled from the now-defunct Indian Cricket League was because of match-fixing.

Cairns left the ICL's Chandigarh Lions in 2008, with the official reason given as an undeclared injury.

Since then, allegations have surfaced that Cairns was involved in match-fixing with Chandigarh teammates Lou Vincent and Daryl Tuffey.

Vincent has admitted his role and recently received 11 life bans from the England and Wales Cricket Board for fixing during limited overs games in county cricket.

Cairns and Tuffey have consistently denied any wrongdoing. Tuffey provided a character statement for Cairns in his libel trial against Modi.

Cairns' friend, lawyer Andrew Fitch-Holland - who gave evidence on his behalf at the 2012 trial - was arrested and bailed in March under suspicion of perverting the course of justice.

The charges are the culmination of a story the Herald broke on December 5, when we revealed up to three former New Zealand internationals were being investigated by the ICC for allegations of match-fixing.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I once took a fiver to be out first ball in a school match. I know some things are sacred but that was two weeks paper round money.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I once took a fiver to be out first ball in a school match. I know some things are sacred but that was two weeks paper round money.
I joined the primary club very early in my playing career and regularly fulfilled its requirements so no one ever bothered to test my integrity in that way

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seems that Cairns' solicitor, who kindly left a comment about my feature on the original case, has been charged as well - reckon I might have to do a second edition