• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Test Ton You Saw Live

jan

State Vice-Captain
Have never been to a cricket ground :(

Hoping to get a chance to change it in August while playing in Sussex.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
What was the first Test century you saw live at the ground?

As a callow and impressionable young cricketer, mine was Gooch's 154* at Headingley in 91

1st Test: England v West Indies at Leeds, Jun 6-10, 1991 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
Pretty good start.

One of the best tons I've ever seen (on TV).

The first Test I attended was Day 2 of England v West Indies @ The Oval in 1976 (famously brown outfield). Viv Rchards was 200 not out overnight and went to to 291 so that doesn't count.

Two years later I was at the same ground and saw David Gower's 1st Test ton. In fact, he very nearly went to 100 with a 6, the ball landed inches inside the boundary at long on. If he'd hit it a couple of yards further, and a fraction straighter I'd have taken (actually more likely dropped) the catch.

I'd already seen him score a ODI ton (against Pakistan) that summer, and saw him get a good few good scores over the years. I was lucky.

Last edited:

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
First Test ton : Chanderpaul 118 in 2011 against us

First ODI ton : Ponting 145 against Zimbabwe in 1998

Cruxdude

International Debutant
The first ton I saw live was Sachin's 137 against Pakistan at Chennai. A painful day that and the first and last test I have been to. I had gone to see him score a duck on day 2 earlier.

Satyanash89

Banned
The first ton I saw live was Sachin's 137 against Pakistan at Chennai. A painful day that and the first and last test I have been to. I had gone to see him score a duck on day 2 earlier.
Coincidentally, that was the first test i saw live, but i was there for Days 2,3 and 4 which meant i saw Afridi's 141 in the 3rd innings first, so that would be the first ton i saw live. And honestly i would say its up there with one of the best ive had the privilege of being live... was every bit as good as Tendukar's epic on the fourth day, which i also saw... havent cried that hard ever due to something cricket related :(

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Dravid on the last day of this game. 2nd Test: England v India at Nottingham, Aug 8-12, 2002 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo Funny I didn't remember Dravid scoring a hundred at all until I looked at the scorecard again. Was pretty young. The three moments I remember were 1) Been disappointed at Vaughan ripping one through the gate against Sachin 2) Ganguly hooking one off Flintoff and Harmison who is at deep square leg getting no hand on the catch as the ball lobbed over him and going for 4 3) Cork putting in a good spell in the afternoon

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Mine is Matthew Hayden. Day 1 vs. NZ @ the Gabba 2001.

Got to watch my childhood hero Mark Waugh make a duck LBW to Astle. On IPhone so no linkage sorry.

stumpski

International Captain
Geoff Boycott, 125 v India at the Oval, 1979 (he was 83* overnight). Also saw the first 42 of Gavaskar's 221 on the same day.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Interestingly, it wasn't until my 9th England test that I saw an England player ton up. I'd seen parts of centuries but never actually seen the moment someone tonned up.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
First I saw was Sachin Tendulkar v England at Edgbaston 96. Though I did see NZ at Trent Bridge in 86 but have no idea if that was the day Bracewell got a ton or not as I was only 10 at the time.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The tied test in 1987 and so I guess that 200 by Dean Jones..

But the first hundred I remember seeing was by Sidhu against England in 1993 in Chennai. Sachin and Kambli tonned up too, I think..