• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Test Ton You Saw Live

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah loved The Judge, too young to really remember him as a test player really apart from when he got his jaw broken but watched him for so many years for Hampshire.

HeathDavisSpeed

Yeah loved The Judge, too young to really remember him as a test player really apart from when he got his jaw broken but watched him for so many years for Hampshire.
Always seemed to be willing to have a yarn when I lived down on the South Coast and had to attend Hampshire games rather than Essex ones. Made a habit of wandering around the ground, or at least the Pavilion at the Rose Bowl and would be happy enough for a chat. What a top guy!

Pothas

Yeah remember him chatting away for ages when he was fielding on the boundary at Basingstoke.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Ambrose probably bowled 4 bouncers in a row at several batsmen:(

I agree that The Judge will not be rated as highly as he deserves. Great player to watch.

If I was building the perfect batsmen (of those I've seen) Robin Smith would provide the square cut.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Charles Bannerman 165, 1877 :ph34r:

Greg Chappell's 180 odd v WI in 1976 at Sydney.

1st ODI ton I think was. Gordon Greenidge one at the SCG in about 79-80 vs England. Think it was a final.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Were you there on holiday?
Nah, lived there from 1995 to 1999 (before the embassy got closed because of Mugabe's bat****tery). Got all the autographs of both the NZ and Zim players at a function at the beginning of the tour. I was kind of on cloud 9, so I was a bit over excited and inarticulate, to the point were Chris Cairns said I was talking like Beavis from Beavis & Butthead.

Chris Harris was awesome though he spent ages talking to me about his career. Alistair Campbell was all class too.

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
115 by no one less than everybody's favorite Kevin Pietersen, five years ago, against New Zealand; an innings during which there was also quite some partnership with Tim Ambrose.

England eventualy won that game by an innings and some change. The subsequent ODI series (expecially the 4th ODI, the one about Grant Elliott's runout/Swann missing the stumps on a suicidal last ball run by Gillespie) is one of the biggest reasons of myself following/playing the game; as of today, I rate only the last test in the last WI tour of India and the Hobart win against Oz as comparable to that one dayer.

Which makes me write something that you'll have difficulties hearing anyone above 10 saying today: THOSE WERE THE DAYS. I often hear that cricket was better in the '80s, or in the '90s... no, cricket was better whenever you first started following the game, and so got yourself very attached to the players of the period; and to hell whoever thinks that Gautam Gambhir isn't the greatest batsman ever :)

HeathDavisSpeed

Nah, lived there from 1995 to 1999 (before the embassy got closed because of Mugabe's bat****tery). Got all the autographs of both the NZ and Zim players at a function at the beginning of the tour. I was kind of on cloud 9, so I was a bit over excited and inarticulate, to the point were Chris Cairns said I was talking like Beavis from Beavis & Butthead.

Chris Harris was awesome though he spent ages talking to me about his career. Alistair Campbell was all class too.
Pretty cool experience. How do people get invited to such functions? I've had freebies to the game in corporate boxes and stuff, but a player function... That's something else.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty cool experience. How do people get invited to such functions? I've had freebies to the game in corporate boxes and stuff, but a player function... That's something else.
Yeah, don't know if they still do them these days. I only got invited along cause my mum was the ambassador.

I remember that Parore behaved like a stuck up dick. Was really disappointed, because he'd been my favourite player up to that point.

HeathDavisSpeed

Yeah, don't know if they still do them these days. I only got invited along cause my mum was the ambassador.
Bloody hell, that would have been a tough gig back then. Did you get booted out of the country or anything dramatic like that?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Bloody hell, that would have been a tough gig back then. Did you get booted out of the country or anything dramatic like that?
No, it was just the end of our posting, but the embassy did close about 6 months after we left due to worsening relations. Was pretty scary at times during the last year there, lots of food riots and police violence. We were all glad to be leaving, which was terrible because the first 2 and a half years there were wonderful.

HeathDavisSpeed

No, it was just the end of our posting, but the embassy did close about 6 months after we left due to worsening relations. Was pretty scary at times during the last year there, lots of food riots and police violence. We were all glad to be leaving, which was terrible because the first 2 and a half years there were wonderful.
Good to have missed the worst then - hopefully the worst, anyway. Still, must have been an incredible experience. It looks like a beautiful country in the tourist imagery they show on tours to Zimbabwe.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Went to the British High Comms reception for the England team in SA in 04/05 and the guys all signed the invitation addressing it to my 1 month old son - I have since lost it. They are cool events to go to.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Chris Harris was awesome though he spent ages talking to me about his career.
Must of been glad of a captive audience that showed interest in it:laugh:

Seriously, most cricketers are pretty good chaps to be around away from the game. You get the odd Parore but it's rarer in cricket than most sports I suspect.

andyc

Pretty sure it was the first of Clarke's triple hundred against India in Sydney on the second day. Unless Ponting got to his first. Went to the second and third day's play, so I saw all three of his tons too.