• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Did any of the Great bowlers of the past chuck?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Certainly Lock was the first name that came to my mind when I saw the thread title - of bowlers with 100+ Test wickets, anyway. The others mentioned (plus Geoff Griffin, Harold Rhodes, Geoff Cope) mostly had (unsurprisingly) short international careers. Lock's problems partly stemmed from having to bowl in the Oval's indoor nets where the ceiling was too low, resulting in a low arm.

Someone should reallly write a history of throwing, if it hasn't been done already. Issue goes right back to the 19th century.
There are a couple around - one by Ian Peebles called "Straight from the Shoulder" from around 1970 and one by Bernard Whimpress from a few years ago imaginatively titled "Chuckers"

stumpski

International Captain
There are a couple around - one by Ian Peebles called "Straight from the Shoulder" from around 1970 and one by Bernard Whimpress from a few years ago imaginatively titled "Chuckers"
Interesting, thanks. "From Mold to Murali" would have been my choice, though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
In all honesty I never noticed anything untoward about Walsh's action and I saw a fair bit of the big fella's work over the years.

Any footage of the offending delivery? Robelinda, I'm looking at thee...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In all honesty I never noticed anything untoward about Walsh's action and I saw a fair bit of the big fella's work over the years.

It was just when he wanted an extra bit of pace, he used it a lot more towards the end of his career.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

He knocked Boon over with a yorker in the Windies in 95 with one which wasn't a bad example iirc. I'll see if I can find it - got an old VHS tape of the series at home, hence why I've not seen it in ages.

Should also add Lee when he got a bit square on when he tired.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
He knocked Boon over with a yorker in the Windies in 95 with one which wasn't a bad example iirc. I'll see if I can find it - got an old VHS tape of the series at home, hence why I've not seen it in ages.

I believe I have the same VHS. Really should go back and watch it some time.

Also got the 1989 and 1993 Ashes lying around somewhere.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
You have to remember that an arm can be 'bent' throughout the action but it can't straighten.

Ian Peebles' review of the 1958/59 Ashes was named "Four Chukkas to Australia":D

Certainly from that series Meckiff and Rorke where meant to be severe chuckers (and the latter was a major 'dragger' under the old back foot no ball Law which meant he was often hurling it down from 18 yards).

Apparently at one point during the series Ray Lindwall introduced himself by saying "shake the hand of the last true bowler in Australia" (most of the States were reckoned to have doubtful bowlers) which some thought a shade rich as there had been occasional murmers about him in the past. I think Brian Statham had the very occasional issue as well.

Re Walsh: I think that now and again during a long day one would come out through tiredness but it might be one every 20 or 30 overs.

The West Indian bowler I've seen that thought was frequently very dubious was Eldine Baptiste. I've heard that Charlie Griffith's 'threw' his bouncer and yorker - and consequently these were very hard to pick up.

In recent years there have been some who, though questionable, were nowhere near as bad as "the name that cannot be mentioned" and just about every Doosra bowler I've seen (I would say all but there may be one who somehow doesn't) - James Kirtley comes to mind.

The comments on Tony Lock are correct in that when he saw himself on film (which in the 50s could take some while) he remodelled his action and still bowled rather well. His problem came from long spells of bowling in the old Gover Cricket School which believe me didn't allow much scope for a flighty spin bowler. Lock 'flattened' his action but still looked to spin the ball hard - and that caused the problem (ironically it was the 'flat' big turner "the name that cannot be mentioned" that was the most consistent 'chuck').

There have been relatively few even reasonably big names through history who clearly chucked. Lancashire had one in the 1880s called Crossland whose action was described by one fellow player as "a clear shy". A few in the 1890s/early 1900s in England, most famously Arthur Mold but there was a meeting of the (all Amatuer) County Captains where they agreed, in a very gentlemanly manner, that if three of their number complained about a bowler that bowler would not be picked again. A major Australian bowler around that time considered a 'chucker' was the left arm spinner Jack Saunders.

Debris

International 12th Man

Seem to remember Aktar having the same problem with his bouncer early in his career.