• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Harbhajan break Murali's record?

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
Around 1999-2000 I was so sure that saqlain mushtaq would end up with most wickets in test cricket considering the rate at which he was picking wickets and he added so many variations in his armory, he was only 23-24 years old at that time. I dont remember what went wrong with him. Was it too much reliance on doosra or was it too much variation that hurt him??????

Z-Man

U19 Vice-Captain
Around 1999-2000 I was so sure that saqlain mushtaq would end up with most wickets in test cricket considering the rate at which he was picking wickets and he added so many variations in his armory, he was only 23-24 years old at that time. I dont remember what went wrong with him. Was it too much reliance on doosra or was it too much variation that hurt him??????
The Indians will say "The Multan Test" - Sehwags century destroyed his career but in reality, it was to do with poor management after he had an injury.
He is still only 2 years older than Ajmal.

Cricinfo, Kamran Abbasi
Saqlain did get an opportunity to have a go at the Indians again in the 2003-04 series, but unflattering figures of 1 for 204 at Multan meant that he was quickly consigned to the scrap heap. He was unable to force his way back ahead of Danish Kaneria and he was blighted by injury after a prolific time with Surrey. However, his career was given a lifeline in 2007 when he joined Mushtaq Ahmed at Sussex and there was even talk of him qualifying for England. That could remain a distant dream, after signing a contract with the unsanctioned Indian Cricket League. Indeed, his ICL contract forced Surrey to severe ties with him after the 2008 season, ending his 11-year relationship with The Oval.

Last edited:

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
The Indians will say "The Multan Test" - Sehwags century destroyed his career but in reality, it was to do with poor management after he had an injury.
He is still only years older than Ajmal.
What was the nature of the injury, if I may ask? Difficult to understand how a conventional injury could have affected a finger spinner's potency. A shoulder-spinner or a wrist-spinner is a different proposition.

Can you provide some details in this case? I can totally sympathise with the poor management part.

Xuhaib

International Coach
have heard he was suffering from depression ofcourse sub cont culture means such sort of illness patients don't get as much support as you get in west.PCB gave him the F-U during his injury and he never recovered.

Xuhaib

International Coach
What was the nature of the injury, if I may ask? Difficult to understand how a conventional injury could have affected a finger spinner's potency. A shoulder-spinner or a wrist-spinner is a different proposition.

Can you provide some details in this case? I can totally sympathise with the poor management part.
it was his shoulder from what I recall.

Z-Man

U19 Vice-Captain

Had to do with his arm/shoulder. + Danish Kaneria was at his peak.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
It's more than 1 or 2 good series, and he has over 5 and a half thousand runs at the age of 26 and a half. At that age he conceivably has the length of career left to play for another 10 years (and as England tend to play more Tests than most sides that could be something like another 100+ Tests) - assuming that happens it's almost certain that he'll go 2nd in the list of most Test runs in a career, simply due to longevity.
If anyone has a chance of going past his tally, it's Cook!!

Cruxdude

International Debutant
He will not break Murali's record but Kumble's is within his reach. While I agree that he looks flat right now, it was not long back that he was bowling very well. The SA series was a very good performance by him. He has this habit of getting lost in between awesome performances. The Kolkatta effort against SA earlier last year was also epic.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If Cook maintains a 50 average then he'll have no trouble passing Tendulkar's final run tally due to how much cricket he'll play in the next 10 years.
Not even ten. That's 100 Tests in just the next eight years, which will put him at like 170 Tests and he'd be only 34 in 2018....:-O

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Not even ten. That's 100 Tests in just the next eight years, which will put him at like 170 Tests and he'd be only 34 in 2018....:-O
If all goes well for him, he will have played 125 more tests by the time he turns 37.
At his current rate (avg of high 40's to 50), he will have around 15,500 runs by then (end of 2021).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If Cook maintained his runs per matches from the past 12 months across the next eight years, he would score another 11025 runs, so he'd have over 16000, however it's worth bearing in mind he often hasn't had a chance to bat twice in a match in that period.

If he maintained his rate of hundreds from the past 12 months across the next eight years, he would have 68 Test hundreds.

On the same basis, he can expect to face 21025 balls in the next eight years.

Of course, this is all ridiculous as Cook is obviously going to better his last 12 months and go down as the greatest batsman of all-time.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
have heard he was suffering from depression ofcourse sub cont culture means such sort of illness patients don't get as much support as you get in west.PCB gave him the F-U during his injury and he never recovered.
There is a saying that "Be Nice to People on Your Way Up, You will Meet them on Your Way Down".

Apparently Saqi had never heard of that (Not his fault, he never went to an English Medium School).