• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Harbhajan break Murali's record?

biased indian

International Coach
from cicinfo comment section and think its an apt one

harbajhan will never be remembered as a legend....... because all legends had the virtue of being CONSISTENT but as far as bhajji is concerned the only thing he is consistent is in being INCONSISTENT......

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah he certainly deserves it, and congrats to him on achieving the 400, but I cannot see him getting anywhere near 800.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'd be very surprised if Harby bowled in Tests for more than another 5 years. What with the IPL and the masses of Indian spinners that come through and the chances of injury it would be remarkable to see him still playing for India in Test cricket.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Harbhajan has about as much chance of breaking Tendulkar's record for most centuries as of breaking Murali's record of most wickets :p

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
He will, if he plays till he's 40 or so. I don't think he'll play upto 40.

I don't think he's going to get out of dart-mode at all now, and it'll be sad if we didn't unearth a replacement spinner within that time frame. I mean, Harby is a good spinner and deserves every one of his 400 wickets, and we have no grounds for complaint as long as he's doing better than the next guy in line, but I'd like to think and hope that we can do better. If he makes it to 800, I hope its because he finally figured his **** out and did awesomely well getting there, not because he played a whole lot of Tests bowling the way he has been doing so for quite a while now.

Himannv

International Coach
I dont think he's that bad a bowler, he just doesn't have enough time. I dont think he's enough of a wicket taker to pick up 8 per game from now on based on the way he's bowling now. Also there's no way that he'll play till 39 or 40. I expect he'd get to around 600 or so which is a phenomenal record in itself.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I hope not. It's bad enough that people use number of centuries to try and prove certain flawed points. I can only imagine if cricket's biggest **** went on to take that many wickets.

Don't think he will, anyway. See a max of five more years for him.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
He might break it, but it will be much like Vettori breaking Hadlee's record - it will say a lot more about longevity than it would about the quality of the bowling.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's possible but unlikely I'd think.

Silly to say anyone doesn't deserve a tally like 400 wickets. Of
course he does.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nope. Took him 13 years to take the same number he'd have to get in less than 10 and you don't get better as you get older.

Pretty much in line with GI Joe's thoughts on the matter; hopefully India unearth a better spinner

Blaze 18

Banned
His place in the side is not secure enough to allow him to do it.
Nah, that's one thing he definitely has in his favour. He will not be dropped no matter happens. India are not Australia to select players only on merit, unfortunately. It's why we've had players carrying on for too long (Kapil Dev, Anil Kumble, etc.). Our selectors don't have the balls to drop senior players. I suppose a close relationship with the captain also helps.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Nah, that's one thing he definitely has in his favour. He will not be dropped no matter happens. India are not Australia to select players only on merit, unfortunately. It's why we've had players carrying on for too long (Kapil Dev, Anil Kumble, etc.). Our selectors don't have the balls to drop senior players. I suppose a close relationship with the captain also helps.
...come again?