• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best & Smooth Bowling Actions

Which of the following fast bowler has the best bowling action?

• Total voters

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting, I liked watching Ngam bowl (not that we got that many opportunities) but his action isn't what I'd have called completely classical.

Not sure he was ever clocked 150+ when I was watching, was more mid-140s, but he might've done when I wasn't examining the gun.
No it wasn't really classical, true. Just athletic and very natural from what I saw. Just distinctly remember being shocked when he'd bowl a ball and I'd see the speed gun reading of 90mph.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Why is Walsh being lumped in with pre-90's bowlers when he played throughout the 90's and probably about three quarters of his Test career during that time?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Im not sure Id agree with that. In fact Id heavily disagree. It would an interesting discussion but I can see myself ever getting swayed.
Don't get me wrong, Holding was fantastic, but Donald was a more rounded bowler who had a little more good fortune in terms of who and when he played and what bowling skills were widely known and available in his time. So he had the chance to prove himself better, to my mind.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cork? lol. Fraser should be on that list instead.
Not really sure how. It's already been stated that Fraser's action was pretty decent for a bowler of his build and maximised all the advantages he had. Also, Fraser was clearly a better bowler than Cork, and had less misfortune dog him (though they both had plenty of that).

But when it comes to the best bowling action, Cork wins that one hands-down.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, Lee and Akhtar. Should not be anywhere near this poll. Might as well put Murali in there.
Neither are smooth but if you are looking for 'best' in terms of most effective in generating pace, then they are certainly in the top five of all time if not one and two. Similarly high on the list, I'd have to have Allan Donald who's action epitomised efficiency.

As for smoothest actions, I'd have to rate Hadlee, Fraser, Lillee and Donald at the top of my list. I do not see Holding's action as that smooth and I am aware this is a deficiency on my part. The violent knee bend at delivery for Dale Steyn leads me to think his action as not too smooth either.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chucktar and Murali should be nominated for worst action ever.
Funny, i never said so for fear of luring the pakistan-fanatic, but i never quite could get over Akhtar's arm-bending during his action. Murali looks a bit suspect, but i'm more than happy to trust the science. Akhtar just looks like he's taking a shy at the stumps from midwicket after a 100m sprint.