• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best & Smooth Bowling Actions

Which of the following fast bowler has the best bowling action?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, I guess cricketers can be deceptively tall at times...

I once remember when the NZ team toured Hyderabad, where I lived, and I met a few of them like Vettori, Cairns and Drum and they were all friggin huge. Maybe that's cuz I'm smaller, but whatever...:ph34r:
Yeah I seem to recall Chris Drum wasn't short. Certainly neither Vettori or Cairns are either.

Vettori and McCullum standing side-by-side is always amusing.

Briony

International Debutant
Yeah mate, I just cant STOP watching videos of Allan Donald running and creating troubles for the batters!

He was called 'white lightening'...

No he didn't keep getting lighter, it was white lightning. Healy said the other day that Donald was fast and had a great action but he was one of the easiest bowlers to pick because he always showed you the seam etc. He said bowlers who 'hide' the ball are much more difficult to pick.

Precambrian

Banned
Yeah, I guess cricketers can be deceptively tall at times...

I once remember when the NZ team toured Hyderabad, where I lived, and I met a few of them like Vettori, Cairns and Drum and they were all friggin huge. Maybe that's cuz I'm smaller, but whatever...:ph34r:
Yeah, I thought Sreesanth was a "relatively" short man, and found to my surprise he was 6 foot 1. That's way above par by Indian standards.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Blasphemy that you don't include the Whispering Death in your lineup. A bit before your time kiddo??

Precambrian

Banned
No he didn't keep getting lighter, it was white lightning. Healy said the other day that Donald was fast and had a great action but he was one of the easiest bowlers to pick because he always showed you the seam etc. He said bowlers who 'hide' the ball are much more difficult to pick.
If batsmen picked them, certainly it was after it was too late, as his record suggests.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When the best fast bowlers to come so far all played pre 1990??
Quit yelling at clouds, old man. There's been polls including old bowlers before i'm sure. Why would he include people he can't possibly have seen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
When the best fast bowlers to come so far all played pre 1990??
Hmm...

Umm... no. Quite a few of the best seam-bowlers in history played in the 1990s. Three at absolute minimum in Donald, Ambrose and McGrath.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Hmm...

Umm... no. Quite a few of the best seam-bowlers in history played in the 1990s. Three at absolute minimum in Donald, Ambrose and McGrath.
Are you trying to say that they were better than Garner, Holding, Marshal, Roberts, Walsh? Better than Lillie, Thommo? Better than Imran, Sarfraz? Better than Willis, Botham, Hadley??

There are other arguments besides bare statistics.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Angus Fraser had a good action getting the most from a man of his build. So too does Jimmy Anderson, the snag in his case is the necessity to let go of the ball.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I always find it funny that Lee is mentioned in these types of threads. Great run up, great "pull back/sling" (for lack of a better term), but that kink in the elbow is there. No I'm not saying he chucks, but I find it hard to accept that his action is 'natural' and 'smooth'. It his until release I guess.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Are you trying to say that they were better than Garner, Holding, Marshal, Roberts, Walsh? Better than Lillie, Thommo? Better than Imran, Sarfraz? Better than Willis, Botham, Hadley??

There are other arguments besides bare statistics.
The only bowlers of that lot who have a case for being equal to the above three are Garner, Imran Khan and Lillee, and the only ones I'd say were definately better were Marshall and Hadlee.

Donald, Ambrose and McGrath all comfortably > Thomson, Walsh, Roberts, Sarfaraz Nawaz, Willis, Botham (at least, from '81/82 onwards), Holding and anyone else you care to name. There are others from the 1990s too, the backup guild and the leading lights from other sides, whereas the 1970s and '80s were more brilliance-to-mediocrity.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mfuneko Ngam

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/player/46599.html

Had an action like dripping honey, made Michael Holding look like Paul Adams and could send them down at a very scary pace. Believe he was clocked past 150km/h a few times? Either way, incredible to watch.
Interesting, I liked watching Ngam bowl (not that we got that many opportunities) but his action isn't what I'd have called completely classical.

Not sure he was ever clocked 150+ when I was watching, was more mid-140s, but he might've done when I wasn't examining the gun.