• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Greatest Cricketer - The Poll

After Bradman and Sobers, who is the 3rd Greatest Cricketer ?

• Total voters

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember when Steyn tore up New Zealand in the home series. Not many people watched, myself included, and there was a tendency to dismiss the wickets as a "purple streak" or "only New Zealand", "on South African greentops".

Had we bothered to watch I suspect we'd have realised just how good the guy was a lot earlier than we did.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Fair enough but I tend to think the sheet weight of wickets on Warne's side puts him ahead. Dont think O'reilly and Grimmett are far off, though Grimmett rarely gets mentioned with his terrific record.
I can't penalise the other two because of the lesser number of test matches that were played those days.

If you're talking about longevity, O'Reilly played test cricket for 15 years, Grimmett for 12 years compared to 16 years in case of Warne.

And if we are comparing the sheer number of wickets, then the only comparable ground can be first-class cricket (including test cricket). WJ O'Reilly - 774wickets @ 16.60, Clarrie Grimmett - 1424 wickets @ 22.28, and Shane Warne - 1319 wickets @ 26.11.

Last edited:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Going for Imran.

Not only for personal performances but more importantly for stamping his authority and influence on a side that stood up to the marauding WI juggernaut.

How many of the other nominations could do that ?

Himannv

International Coach
Going for Imran.

Not only for personal performances but more importantly for stamping his authority and influence on a side that stood up to the marauding WI juggernaut.

How many of the other nominations could do that ?
Well, he's the only one on that list who even played in that era. Apart from Viv of course who was part of said marauding WI Juggernaut.

As for Sri Lankan's not getting a chance to prove themselves abroad, agree completely. Mahela, in my opinion, is the best batsman Sri Lanka has ever produced talent-wise and I've seen him play some absolutely stunning innings over the years. Some of them are the best I've ever seen at that. Just doesn't seem to consistently prove it when he travels although a few select knocks indicate that he can definitely hack it. Sanga on the other hand appears to have done a bit more with his limited chances.

Slifer

International Captain
Strange how Tendulkar is on this list but Lara is not. Is there really that much difference between them?
Im West Indian and Lara is my favorite cricketer bar none. But unlike certain others I recognise his limitations and even among WI there are quite a few I would rate above him as cricketers : Viv, Sobers, Marshall, Ambrose, Headley, Walcott, Worrell. No disrespect to my Indian buddies but maybe its just a case of other cricketing nations having many more great players from which to choose.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Not your finest hour, Sir Alex. A really poor argument, poorly argued.
i understand that the impact of grace on the modern game has been immense, probably the most of any player, but do you seriously believe he is at the level of the all-time greats in terms of sheer cricketing ability? if yes, how do you come to that conclusion?

bagapath

International Captain
well, i'm not so sure that he's the best leggie.

I shall place both grimmett and o'reilly ahead of him for various reasons, though won't call someone mad if he places warne ahead. But thinking that o'reilly and grimmett aren't in the same league as warne is a bigger joke than considering warne the 3rd best cricketer ever, for me.
AWTA. Among bowlers Warne will occupy the same position sachin or lara would occupy among batsmen; that is, he will be in the top 10. in the spinners list he will be in the top 3. i wud have oreilly, warne and murali in my top 3 in any random order

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not sure that Grimmett can be placed in the same echelon as Warne and O'Reilly, when he's been good, but not great against England, the only team that was strong during that time. He's dominated SA and WI, who weren't that great.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Strange how Tendulkar is on this list but Lara is not. Is there really that much difference between them?
You've right, there's nothing in it, but it's hardly strange or surprising if you're used to the usual fan-boy-ism that goes on here

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
i understand that the impact of grace on the modern game has been immense, probably the most of any player, but do you seriously believe he is at the level of the all-time greats in terms of sheer cricketing ability? if yes, how do you come to that conclusion?
Juz by reading about him, at least AFAIC. I just don't think a guy THAT ahead of his contemporaries would have struggled in the current day scenario. Surely, the guy must have truckloads of talent to have a record like that...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The idea that a guy with the most test runs, most test centuries, most ODI runs, most ODI centuries, and who has been playing for 20 years, is on the poll ahead of Lara because of fanboyism is absurd.

Lara could well have been on the poll, as well as Greg Chappell, Glenn McGrath and Marshall etc. But Sachin most definitely deserved that place.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The idea that a guy with the most test runs, most test centuries, most ODI runs, most ODI centuries, and who has been playing for 20 years, is on the poll ahead of Lara because of fanboyism is absurd.

Lara could well have been on the poll, as well as Greg Chappell, Glenn McGrath and Marshall etc. But Sachin most definitely deserved that place.
yeah.. The point is not that Sachin does not deserve to be there but others could have been there too. Anyways, I don't consider any of them to be the 3rd best. Think WG is a clear 3rd...