• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Greatest Cricketer - The Poll

After Bradman and Sobers, who is the 3rd Greatest Cricketer ?

• Total voters

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And Murali, Vaas and Jayasuriya had nothing to do with that...
Well.. obviously great players help but I do think Ranatunga played a big part in lifting the ambitions of the average Sri Lanka cricketer, in much the same way a Kapil or a Ganguly did for India. Can;t really show any plausible proof, it is just an observation seeing the cricketers from there before him and after him. Regardless of talent, he was the guy who made them dare to dream of being the best in the world. That surely counts for something.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Well.. obviously great players help but I do think Ranatunga played a big part in lifting the ambitions of the average Sri Lanka cricketer, in much the same way a Kapil or a Ganguly did for India. Can;t really show any plausible proof, it is just an observation seeing the cricketers from there before him and after him. Regardless of talent, he was the guy who made them dare to dream of being the best in the world. That surely counts for something.
AWTA.

Ranatunga made people believe winning is possible, not only players, spectators too. He showed that cricket is not the game of elite, but a national game, by fully supporting in outstation players like Murali, Jayasuriya, Vaas etc. Ranatunga's record in test matches is just average. But most of his runs came when SL was in thick ****. He was one of th best ODI batsmen of the era, very much underrated. Average of 35+ with SR nearly 80 in a career spanning 1982-99 and in a minnow team takes some doing. His peak was lost to civil war, 1986 - 1991 period where cricket was not played much in SL, and most of the people have not seen him in full flow. But 1992 WC where his calculated attack on Allan Donald would be enough to prove how good he was in is peak. Ranatunga surely have punched way, way above his weight in SL cricket.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was a master at working the gaps between overs 15-40 in the ODI game. Loved watching him stroll across for those singles.

angad

U19 12th Man
Here's my list of top 'cricketers' -

1. Don Bradman
2. W.G. Grace
3. Jacques Kallis/Graeme Pollock/Gavaskar
4. Sachin/Murli/Warne/Akram/Richards/R Hadlee
5. Dravid/Imran/Ponting/Lara/Hayden/G Sobers/G Chappell
6. Waqar/McGrath/Walsh/Donald/S Pollock/Ambrose
7. Sehwag/Jayawardene/Allan Border/Ian Botham/Gilchrist
8. S Waugh/Jayasuriya/Sangakarra/J Thomson/D Lillee/J Miandad
9. Kumble/G Gooch/Kapil Dev/J Hobbs/M Yousuf