• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Greatest Cricketer - The Poll

After Bradman and Sobers, who is the 3rd Greatest Cricketer ?

• Total voters

andmark

International Captain
A poll, so we can see results

After Bradman and Sobers, who would you consider the 3rd Greatest Cricketer of all time ?
I assume the S.Barnes is the England player in the 1910s and not his Australian counterpart of a similar time. If so, then I would be extremely tempted to vote for him.

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
I assume the S.Barnes is the England player in the 1910s and not his Australian counterpart of a similar time. If so, then I would be extremely tempted to vote for him.
Despite the above, I've voted for WG because of his dominance against bowlers on the uncovered, sticky wickets and which the outfield was barely cut properly. Grace was getting centuries on these pitches when most of the players in the list would have retired. True legend.

masterblaster

International Captain
Tendulkar's the man. Although I'm not going to vote for him here as I believe he should be rated as the second greatest cricketer of all time behind Bradman.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Cricinfo's AT Eng XI

And yet Grace was not picked for Cricinfo's All Time England XI
Though, they did pick Kevin Pietersen. Go figure :huh:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And yet Grace was not picked for Cricinfo's All Time England XI
Though, they did pick Kevin Pietersen. Go figure :huh:
If test careers were the criteria you couldn't pick Grace as his limited test career is unremarkable - that said his years of absolute dominance were over by the time he played test cricket

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
If test careers were the criteria you couldn't pick Grace as his limited test career is unremarkable - that said his years of absolute dominance were over by the time he played test cricket
That's because he played before Test Matches came to even be.

Kevin Pietersen
I LOL'd hard at this.

Also on the BCCI and money: Grace sold out games he played in. He was the first big superstar and turned the game from elitist into a game anyone can go and enjoy to watch/play. Crowds sold out to see him bat like they do Tendulkar and Grace played into his 50s. The Father of Cricket fo sure.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
As to the poll, purely on cricketing merits, I'd rank Murali the 2nd best after Don Bradman, and Tendulkar following that. But if you consider more than cricketing merits alone (ie, contribution in changing the face of the game etc), then it'd be Sachin 1st, Grace 2nd and Bradman 3rd.
Cringeworthy.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Hobbs, for me.

Bradman was the best player among the batsmen.

Sobers was the best player among alrounders (not going into the debate whether he was the most rounded alrounder).

I'm not sure who the best fast bowler was. I could never decide amongst Hadlee, Marshall and Barnes.

Similarly for spinners, I'm undecided between Murali, O'Reilly and Grimmett.

Among wicketkeeper-batsmen, Gilchrist is the one I'd go with. But somehow I can't crown him the 3rd best cricketer of all-time.

Among the opening batsmen, there's no doubt in my mind that Hobbs was the best player in test cricket, and my vote goes to him.

Besides these men, all of Hutton, Hammond, Sachin and Imran deserve a mention here...yeah and beyond test cricket Grace, Barry Richards and Graeme Pollock deserve a mention.

Last edited:

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
Hobbs, for me.

Bradman was the best player among the batsmen.

Sobers was the best player among alrounders (not going into the debate whether he was the most rounded alrounder).

I'm not sure who the best fast bowler was. I could never decide amongst Hadlee, Marshall and Barnes.

Similarly for spinners, I'm undecided between Murali, O'Reilly and Grimmett.

Among wicketkeeper-batsman, Gilchrist is the one I'd go with. But somehow I can't crown him the 3rd best cricketer of all-time.

Among the opening batsmen, there's no doubt in my mind that Hobbs was the best player in test cricket, and my vote goes to him.

Besides these men, all of Hutton, Hammond, Sachin and Imran deserve a mention here...yeah and beyond test cricket Grace, Barry Richards and Graeme Pollock deserve a mention.
This...

Some brilliant choices, and I can only agree completely. Pollock does deserve a mention at least. Ashame about the politics in his career.

Teja.

Global Moderator
IMHO, Shaun Pollock deserves more of a mention than his uncle. His bowling figures are up there with the best and his batting was extremely handy.

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
IMHO, Shaun Pollock deserves more of a mention than his uncle. His bowling figures are up there with the best and his batting was extremely handy.
Good point but I think they both deserve equal recognition in this thread at least.

akilana

International 12th Man
So does Kallis.

Voted for Sachin.

lol'ed at the mention of GC Grace because this is a poll for who's the 3rd greatest cricketer.

Himannv

International Coach
TBF, Grace was the innovator of actual cricketing strokes
I think there's more than one person to take credit for this. No doubt Grace played a huge part in the formative years though.

Someone mentioned Greame Pollock. Certainly worth reckoning I'd say.

subshakerz

International Coach
Has to be Imran.

Imran was an all-time great based on his bowling alone. When you factor in the fact that he was a very good batsman and an all-time great captain, I believe the choice is obvious.

After Sobers and Bradman, no cricketer has had the impact on their country's fortunes the way Imran has.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cringeworthy.
Haha, indeed.

It's impossible to give any answer other than WG, given the poll- he rather stands alone due to the fact that he played such a vastly different game to any of the others. I generally prefer not to include him when considering all-time discussions but if you do, he simply has to be ranked streets ahead of everyone on the list and, given his standing amongst his contemporaries, ahead of Sobers too.

But if Grace were not on the list, I'd go for Imran Khan. I just can't see how any of the others could possibly come close to matching his all-round contribution.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
WG for mine. It's not even a contest.

I wonder how many who think it should be Sachin have been following cricket since before 1990.

Also surprised at the lack of Warney love. From what i can gather on these forums, players only seem to be judged only by their sub continental results. If that's the case, Bradman never existed. :ph34r: