• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Semi Final - New Zealand v South Africa (24th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Days of Grace

International Captain
Man, watching all day in Japan. Took the day off work. Still only 7:30pm here so don't know what to do. Just elated and so proud of the boys. Greatest sporting day in my life.

Niall

International Coach
Although when the rain came there were twelve overs left and AB was ready to launch. The last ten overs or so he usually really goes up a notch and with Miller there with extra overs not having to go the tonk it could easily have been 350 plus. In a final that would have been hard to run down.
Fair point.

Normally, I'd be on the rain screwed South Africa bandwagon as I hate duckworth lewis.

However we are also forgetting about the South African bowlers, yeah Morkel and Tahir would have bowled 20 quality overs, but what about the rest?

Vern and Steyn were both absolute rubbish and who knows what would have happened if they tried to sneak another few overs out of AB and JP.

350 in 50 overs, you'd back a team to defend that more often then not, but today, not so sure, to many passengers in the bowling ranks for South Africa.

Its still a ****ing awesome effort to chase this from NZ, and to be fair not as if AB did not know about the rain either.

indiaholic

International Captain
SA was aware of the rain and if they felt like it, they could have accelerated earlier. Bunch of whiny ****s. Seriously, how jaded do you have to be to whine like this after a match like that?

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
Also fans on both sides been great, I hope kiwi fans can continue to be humble. Match played in good spirit by the sound of it. Been following on cric info from hospital bed, rain break while having my op, great game to come to ease a boring day otherwise

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Most beautiful game of cricket ever. Fantastic batting from SA, faf successly ground out the famous opening attack NZ posters had all been waving their dicks over (who even does that). De Villiers did a De Villiers and played as though different laws of physics applied to his world. Miller played the perfect cameo. There were serious doubts about whether we could handle it. Somehow, Bmac we got off the the perfect start. He successfully blunted SA's excellent test pairing of Steyn and Philander, though in a slightly different way Faf went about it. There were mistakes. Many mistakes. But sport (and life) isn't about not making mistakes. It's about putting those mistakes behind you, like every single one of our players did.

After Elliott's six to win it, me and my mate tried to do a drunk run up hi-five and both whacked our hands on the ceiling. The mark shall forever be a memorial to this game.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steyn diving full length in that penultimate over :(

Gutted for him and Morkel... in quite different ways. Philander can gagf.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Can people please stop going on about the ****ing rain and how it screwed South Africa? Yeah I get that ABdV is the best ODI batsman in the world but how many do South Africa pile on if he sticks ball 38.1 straight up in the air?

There were 12 overs left which is a long time in limited overs cricket. Plenty of time for South Africa to lose a couple of wickets and completely lose their way.
This. Moreover, it would have given us another 12 overs to chase down whatever they scored.

Fair result. Magnificent game though, the Proteas were even more intense than the Springboks usually are and just as hard. SA fielding superb, batting excellent, bowling very, very good. That over in which Morkel got Anderson and went for 1 run was almost, almost, almost worthy of winning the match.

Gotta feel for AB, Morkel etc. They are a superb side and a great bunch of guys. But this is our moment.

Dream big New Zealand!

anil1405

International Captain
Gutted but loved the way Proteas fought.

There are some people pointing out few mistakes by Proteas like a certain drop catch or a run out chance being missed but am pretty sure some brilliant efforts in the field by Proteas wouldn’t be pointed out. They sure saved about 20-30 runs in the field and were freaking good throughout the innings, particularly in the last 10 overs. Maybe, maybe, no other team would’ve saved as many runs as Proteas did today.

Steyn bowled better than I expected in the final stages of the game. Sure he has given away a six off the penultimate ball but that’s just down to Grant being extremely cool. The full and wide delivery of the 3rd ball of last over was a well-planned delivery. Dan has the habit of coming across the stumps and tends to aim the fine leg area. So it was good from Steyn to bowl the delivery he did except that Dan had other plans.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SA was aware of the rain and if they felt like it, they could have accelerated earlier. Bunch of whiny ****s. Seriously, how jaded do you have to be to whine like this after a match like that?
So rain affected one innings and not the other

Thanks for that

Briony

International Debutant
In fairness though it is dangerous to play for rain and cost yourself wickets. Maybe they erred at the toss by batting first.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It's not SA fans whining on here, it's 'neutrals'.

On another note, anyone know where I can find highlights? Blackcaps.co.nz and NZherald might have them soon I guess, but haven't seen them yet.

Edit: There's now one here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/67491930/New-Zealand-beat-South-Africa-by-four-wickets-to-reach-first-ever-World-Cup-final

Last edited: