• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2015-16

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I suspect he's somewhere in the middle. I doubt he will have another prolific season like the one he's just had. But, from what I have seen of him, I would say he's got enough about him to prevent a decline into total mediocrity/direness. I'd be surprised if he turned out to be the next Michael Ricketts or whoever.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
yeah, van Nistelrooy was a mug.
Seeing as you're the one saying you need a poacher/finisher/whatever to win titles, this is an odd example. United won three titles back to back immediately before signing van Nistelrooy, and another three in a row immediately after selling him. We won one title in the five seasons in between with him in the side.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reine-Adelaide looks a proper talent. We keep finding these class attacking midfielders. Oh for a striker.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
At any pro level a striker needs to bring more than just goals to the table.

I think the definition of pure striker /goal scorer can be taken in the wrong way.

I grew up worshipping John Aldridge. He was guaranteed to get us two goals every three games. But that wasn't just born out of finishing ability (of which he had in bags). Everything he did, or could do, would also create space for the other forwards, midfielders. He wasn't just worth the goals he scored.

cpr

International Coach
One of the reasons why Utd fans love Ole, he was guaranteed goals (especially against a tired defence) but also a pure selfless team man, willing to create for others either through the middle or drifting out wide, putting in the crosses we missed after Beckham left. Also there was the desire to peg it back 70 yards to take out Rob Lee if required.

grecian

At any pro level a striker needs to bring more than just goals to the table.

I think the definition of pure striker /goal scorer can be taken in the wrong way.

I grew up worshipping John Aldridge. He was guaranteed to get us two goals every three games. But that wasn't just born out of finishing ability (of which he had in bags). Everything he did, or could do, would also create space for the other forwards, midfielders. He wasn't just worth the goals he scored.
I remember watching Tony Cotteee when I was younger, I always thought he was just a goal-scav, but it was amazing to see how much running he did off the ball, sensible runs, that as you say took defenders away and created space, you just don't end up scoring goal like these people do through just standing around waiting for it.

Cureton and Claridge similar at a lower level too.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Kris Boyd holds the SPL goalscoring record and is the best pure goalscorer I've seen at Rangers other than McCoist.

I wouldn't have him anywhere near my greatest ever Rangers XI because he is an absolute joke of a footballer. He'll rattle in loads of goals if the rest of the team combines to put chances on a plate for him but he offers very little else. One of the reasons he was never picked for games against Celtic or in Europe and why he's been a flop since leaving Rangers first time.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Also if you're relying on one person to score goals then it's far too easy to nullify that player and snuff out a team's goal threat. Henry was the main face of the Invincible but he famously tended to create as many as he scored and the likes of Bergkamp, Ljungberg, Pires and Reyes all made great goalscoring contributions in that side.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I forgot about Kane. I would happily have him lead the line for Arsenal, I think he's got a good all-round game as well. As duffer said, Tottenham would probably do anything to stop that happening though. Flat up disagree on Benteke. He gets most of his goals from crosses which isn't Arsenal's thing and even at Villa he's not been as prolific as Giroud at Arsenal. Lewandowski plays for one of the best three clubs in the world and is their only proper number nine. From what I gather it was pretty much his dream to play for them and he could have gone literally anywhere he wanted last summer and chose them, so I don't see why he'd suddenly come to Arsenal a year later.
In the last 3 seasons (they both came in the league at the same time):

Benteke: 41 league goals + 9 assists in 86 appearances (0.58 g+apg) / 48 goals + 14 assists in 97 all comps (0.64 g+apg)
Giroud: 41 league goals + 14 assists in 93 appearances (0.59 g+apg) / 57 goals + 24 assists in 129 all comps (0.63 g+apg)

Giroud is also 4 years older and plays for Arsenal. Benteke has played for a relegation battler. I think Giroud suits Arsenal really well but IMO Benteke has been the better forward and I held this opinion before we signed him :p

Seeing as you're the one saying you need a poacher/finisher/whatever to win titles, this is an odd example. United won three titles back to back immediately before signing van Nistelrooy, and another three in a row immediately after selling him. We won one title in the five seasons in between with him in the side.
I've seen this reasoning used before but I think it has more to do with the fact that Ronaldo and Rooney were in their growing pains during that period while United's team transitioned from its past team. Also Real basically won the title with Beckham crossing the ball to Van Nistelrooy.

I kind of agree that at this level the Inzaghi type of forward (I use him because I actually thin Van Nistelrooy was more than just a poacher) I think is a bit outdated. But if Arsenal could get a 20-30 league goal kind of player up front, regardless of how little he creates for others; I think they'd push for the title. The other pieces are good enough to get along with any kind of player.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Now make those stats p90 and look at the disparity between them in assists which is at least something of an indication of their general link-up play

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Seem to have missed my point there, Mr Ball. I didn't say better player, better striker. Finisher. Kick-the-ball-in-the-netter. Supporters defend their players, but Giroud is nothing. He is terrible.
A bit like your knowledge of football, truly terrible.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Now make those stats p90 and look at the disparity between them in assists which is at least something of an indication of their general link-up play
Don't know it TBF...but would be surprised if it makes up for the disparity in terms of the quality of their teammates. Aston Villa was a team where often they'd literally only have 1-2 shots on goal in the entire game - for multiple games. Benteke's record for them is damn impressive. Three seasons running they should had been relegated but for Benteke. Giroud was a complementary part to Arsenal's attach; Benteke basically was Aston Villa's attack.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I've seen this reasoning used before but I think it has more to do with the fact that Ronaldo and Rooney were in their growing pains during that period while United's team transitioned from its past team. Also Real basically won the title with Beckham crossing the ball to Van Nistelrooy.
Yeah sure, I'm not saying the presence of van Nistelrooy was the only factor. But for three years immediately before and after him we had no real out and out poacher (Cole maybe I suppose, but he was hardly a 30 goal a season man in his United days at least), and won 6 titles from 6. The point being that an out and out poacher isn't a necessity in a title winning side. Sure someone who will get you lots of goals each season is nice and all, but they have to actually add some other value to the side.

Last edited: