• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2015-16

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Benteke is better than Giroud. Better finisher, better in the air. Not enough of an upgrade to be worth what Liverpool paid though.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The fact there's actually a debate is enough for it to not be worth it. We don't need someone who might be better than Giroud, we're spending £200k a week for Welbeck and Walcott to be those guys.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I'd agree. If you have Giroud, you don't get Benteke - unless you think he's much better than him, which I don't. I think Henry still had a point though. I actually agree on the earlier point re Walcott. But it's easy to theorise, he'll need to put a healthy season together.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In the last 3 seasons (they both came in the league at the same time):

Benteke: 41 league goals + 9 assists in 86 appearances (0.58 g+apg) / 48 goals + 14 assists in 97 all comps (0.64 g+apg)
Giroud: 41 league goals + 14 assists in 93 appearances (0.59 g+apg) / 57 goals + 24 assists in 129 all comps (0.63 g+apg)

Giroud is also 4 years older and plays for Arsenal. Benteke has played for a relegation battler. I think Giroud suits Arsenal really well but IMO Benteke has been the better forward and I held this opinion before we signed him :p
Add in the fact Benteke has had to recover from an achilles tendon injury and took ages to get fit and firing again and for 2 and a half years had Lambert as manager and he has a great record.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I honestly don't know. Always struggle to work out the genuine ability of players with silly haircuts.

Being totally serious here, ftr.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Do people rate Marcelo? He always plays well when I watch him.
I reckon he's always been really good going forward but had a mistake or two in him defensively in the past. From what I've seen in the last few seasons he's pretty good defensively too now.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Giroud's a much better finisher than Benteke. He's technically a much better player, too.
Read this on RAWK

Premier League chance conversion rates over the past 3 seasons (via Squawka):

C.Benteke (22.1%)
W.Rooney (20.5%)
R.Lukaku (18.5%)
O.Giroud (17.5%)

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Chance conversion rate is yuk. I read that Benteke has performed above his ExpG for each of the last three seasons though, so he's probably a better finisher. Not that I think it's that important.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Do people rate Marcelo? He always plays well when I watch him.
He's decent as long as your full backs aren't expected to do much defending.

Was utterly woeful in the World Cup semi final. Luiz got all the attention but virtually all of Germany's play came down Brazil's left because Marcelo decided to play as a winger.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Read this on RAWK

Premier League chance conversion rates over the past 3 seasons (via Squawka):

C.Benteke (22.1%)
W.Rooney (20.5%)
R.Lukaku (18.5%)
O.Giroud (17.5%)
Ikki, whilst on the subject of forwards, what's your view on Origi?

I saw him play on Liverpool's Oz tour and was not impressed at all - slow, minimal movement and technically ordinary

Obviously a tiny sample size but for a young guy who should have been looking to make the best of his chances, he was pretty woeful

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Chance conversion rate is yuk. I read that Benteke has performed above his ExpG for each of the last three seasons though, so he's probably a better finisher. Not that I think it's that important.
With Benteke I think the most important thing to consider is that he thrives on crosses, which is not what Liverpool do. An overpriced 2015 version of the Rickie Lambert signing from last season?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Vidal to Bayern is done. Quite a surprising one really. A lot of people are suggesting it indicates a change in style, but I think we're probably more likely to see him play in a back three, or as a wing back, or some ****.