• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of Cricketers - CW's Favorite Cricketer

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Viv.

Wasim over Warne is the upset of the tourney so far IMO, pipping Warne over Sachin. Can't help but wonder whether Warney suffered a bit of a backlash protest vote from irate Sachin fans (saying that strictly on my impressions on how such a battle would normally go, with no research into who voted which way)
Or maybe there were more Warnie fans who showed up in Warne Vs. Tendy ( could be because of the VMs) than they did in Warne vs. Wasim. From what it seems some members who voted for warne in Warnie Vs.Tendu voted for Wasim.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Viv.

Wasim over Warne is the upset of the tourney so far IMO, pipping Warne over Sachin. Can't help but wonder whether Warney suffered a bit of a backlash protest vote from irate Sachin fans (saying that strictly on my impressions on how such a battle would normally go, with no research into who voted which way)
Whole bunch of angry Sachin fans voting a Pakistani to retaliate? :ph34r:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Viv.

:laugh::laugh:
For me the biggest upset was Andy Flower winning against Imran Khan.. I was totally shocked..I missed the voting myself :dry:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
It is pretty interesting that Wasim defeated Warne when Warne defeated Sachin .
And am pretty sure looking at the combinations and how they work out that Sachin would have triumphed over Wasim.

Would be also interesting that if a big list was given at the start and then everyone was asked to vote then who will triumph. I think Sachin would be the most likely as his core vote is pretty strong while the other vote would split.
By no means certain though.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I did a quick analysis and from the 26 who voted for Warne last round against Sachin only 2 voted for Wasim this round they were-

age_master
slowfinger

And 2 of those who voted for Sachin the last round , voted for Warne here . So there reason wasn't really a shift of vote either way though the Sachin vote went with Wasim . This could be due to somewhat of a backlash(My opinion personally was swayed by it too)

What cost warne Ultimately was the non voting of 9 members who voted for him ,which were-

Kylez
GeraintIsMyHero
Voltman
morgieb
Corli
Manee
Debris
Pothas
Clapo

cover drive man

International Captain
Viv Richards

One of the greatest players and personalities the game's produced, even now us youngsters are told of his legendary walking to the wicket with confidence (or arrogance) but either way he got the job done.

Flower has done a lot for the game though but the battle is for favourite players.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Flower.

Unless I've lost track of who is left, Flower is the only player left that I have any particularly strong positive feelings for.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Viv.

Warne isn't very well liked outside of Australia and England. Put down the tin foil hat and step away, Matt.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Agree with your overall sentiment that Matt is making a stretch, but if you went to an Indian cricket fan and said "who do you like better, Warne or Wasim", I reckon Warne would be the answer for the majority.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warne isn't very well liked outside of Australia and England. Put down the tin foil hat and step away, Matt.
Rubbish! He's well liked by most NZ cricket fans I know, with a few notable exceptions eg. Athai. Not sure how you'd know about what most NZ fans/media etc & those in cricketing circles (outside cricketweb) think of Warne tbh

Fusion

Global Moderator
Agree with your overall sentiment that Matt is making a stretch, but if you went to an Indian cricket fan and said "who do you like better, Warne or Wasim", I reckon Warne would be the answer for the majority.
Really? I'm surprised by that actually. From what I had gathered, Wasim enjoys tremendous popularity in India. So much so that I had always thought he was the most popular non-Indian cricketer there.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wasim is tremendously popular, I do not doubt that. But we're talking a hell of a lot of fans here, including many younger ones.

Warne's character and image is HUGE in India. Same with Brett Lee and Gilly as well.

I'd say Warne would be the most popular non-Indian player in India in recent times.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Rubbish! He's well liked by most NZ cricket fans I know, with a few notable exceptions eg. Athai. Not sure how you'd know about what most NZ fans/media etc & those in cricketing circles (outside cricketweb) think of Warne tbh
The tribe has spoken. Warne must leave the island.

Fusion

Global Moderator
All of this talk means that there will inevitably be a Wasim backlash and he’ll be out in the next battle guaranteed.