• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of Cricketers - CW's Favorite Cricketer

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Remember Wasim does commentary and studio analysis in India and in many matches involving India and has done even two Reality Shows here.

He is now days based both in Pakistan and India ,and also attends many events here and i met him at a quiz a couple of years back. His Waz and Shaz with Ravi Shastri was very popular too and has carried it on into doing analysis on different news channels too.
He also worked with Irfan Pathan and even in the Mrf pace academy for a while and also is a coach for Knight riders. He was also was linked Romantically in tabloids to Sushmita Sen here.
Besides the fact that he can speak Urdu/Hindi makes him popular to the masses too and the fact that he stood up by India through many Controversies including the Sydney Gate makes him popular too.

For me Akram in the Indian Masses is easily the most likeable pakistani cricketer and also is more Popular than Warne by a margin.
Don't think the Indian masses actually like the controversial kind of figure that warne is and his sort of lifestyle too.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Remember Wasim does commentary and studio analysis in India and in many matches involving India and has done even two Reality Shows here.

He is now days based both in Pakistan and India ,and also attends many events here and i met him at a quiz a couple of years back. His Waz and Shaz with Ravi Shastri was very popular too and has carried it on into doing analysis on different news channels too.
He also worked with Irfan Pathan and even in the Mrf pace academy for a while and also is a coach for Knight riders. He was also was linked Romantically in tabloids to Sushmita Sen here.
Besides the fact that he can speak Urdu/Hindi makes him popular to the masses too and the fact that he stood up by India through many Controversies including the Sydney Gate makes him popular too.

For me Akram in the Indian Masses is easily the most likeable pakistani cricketer and also is more Popular than Warne by a margin.
The only time I've heard Wasim commentating was the women's ODI world cup in Australia, which he did quite a few games for. He was pretty good with that after the first couple of games where he was a bit lost with who was who.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The only time I've heard Wasim commentating was the women's ODI world cup in Australia, which he did quite a few games for. He was pretty good with that after the first couple of games where he was a bit lost with who was who.
He was with ESPNSTAR'S Broadcast team for quite a while based in singapore for Telecast in India.

Did two or tours down under with them for Indian broadcast and also did tours to almost every other test playing nation with them.
Along with Shastri, Gavaskar,Bhogle,Wilkins and Boycott (before he got cancer) and Sidhu(before he became a politician) they were branded as a "Few good men" by the broadcasters.
Akram's Shaz and Waz Lunch/Tea show with Shastri became very popular where they used to get a hot girl from the crowd to talk cricket with them and also analyse the game while talking with her .There used to be a text based voting system to select the Girl everone wanted in the studio during the match among 3 options.
In his Broadcast days was when he along with Sunny,and Ravi stood by India first in the Mike deness episode,then the ganguly banning and then Sydney gate.

He has also done Analysis with various news channels here and was very insightful particularly about bowling and swing bowling in particular.
He has done quiz shows in india ,also did a chat show and a dance based reality show on Cricketers where he was the judge. He has also done a couple of Cameo's in films.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Flower. He played with Essex and he was a wicket-keeper, which makes him a close as you can get to Mike Garnham without actually being anything like him.

Viv an absolute legend though. In fact, the next parrot could be named "Sir Viv". Would prefer to name it after a bowler though, but just can't bring myself to name a parrot "Marshall" when the locals may think it's named after Hamish rather than Malcolm. Maybe "Denzil" might be a better option... Hmmm.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with your overall sentiment that Matt is making a stretch, but if you went to an Indian cricket fan and said "who do you like better, Warne or Wasim", I reckon Warne would be the answer for the majority.
Wrong Wrong Wrong. Wasim Akram Hands down, its not even close. Wasim was immensely popular in India even before he started doing all these Television/sports shows/commentary.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I don't think Warne over Sachin was an upset - that was always going to be line-ball and decided by who is online at the time.

Wasim over Warne is a slight upset to me, but I don't see how anyone can say it was because people were pissed that Sachin lost to Warne. There were like 2 posters who were upset at that. Wasim has been strong throughout this whole battle. Obviously very respected on the board, and Pakistani fans are generally quite good on CW so there aren't any backlash votes.

I think Flower over Imran was an upset.

Can't think of some others as it's all a bit mashed together as well.
I wasn't pissed, just surprised. And I asked the question whether there had been a backlash based on that surprise, not cos I otherwise thought there was some conspiracy. Obviously Wasim is a gun, and I was unaware of his work on Indian tv as well.

Sometimes a cave is just a cave, and sometimes a simple question is just that guys ;)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I wasn't pissed, just surprised. And I asked the question whether there had been a backlash based on that surprise, not cos I otherwise thought there was some conspiracy. Obviously Wasim is a gun, and I was unaware of his work on Indian tv as well.

Sometimes a cave is just a cave, and sometimes a simple question is just that guys ;)
Nah I didn't think you were pissed Matt. I was referring to a couple of Sachin fans. I guess they were fairly "loud" though, which may have made you ask the question.

I think your post was a stretch, but I know you weren't pissed :)

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I did a quick analysis and from the 26 who voted for Warne last round against Sachin only 2 voted for Wasim this round they were-

age_master
slowfinger

And 2 of those who voted for Sachin the last round , voted for Warne here . So there reason wasn't really a shift of vote either way though the Sachin vote went with Wasim . This could be due to somewhat of a backlash(My opinion personally was swayed by it too)

What cost warne Ultimately was the non voting of 9 members who voted for him ,which were-

Kylez
GeraintIsMyHero
Voltman
morgieb
Corli
Manee
Debris
Pothas
Clapo
Yeah, I would have voted for Warne, but full-on day at work yesterday, so forgot to get into CC.