• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Reckon Barca will finish the job comfortably at the Nou Camp, but credit to the Gooners for their fightback - a bit of that heart and intensity from my boys last night would have been nice.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
WOW the last few pages from the Arsenal fans has been really sad. Don't give up hope until the final whistle... Always see this from you guys.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thoughts on the pen? More conclusive evidence that the referee hates you?
What? Taking his leg out from behind while he was about to strike the ball not a penalty now? He was gash all game with the 50/50's.

Equation is simple now, win to progress but the injuries are the biggest concern now. Song dropping bacl was the wrong move, he was out of position badly for both goals. Need Campbell-Vermaelen.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't really comment what with being an Arsenal fan and all, but it did look shoulder-to-shoulder to me. Prem game and I bet it's no free-kick.
Yeah, I wouldn't have given it, was just lol'ing at the implication that "every 50-50 goes their way."

duffer

Just saw it again, he clearly impedes the shooting leg as he was about topull the trigger. Clumsy, definite foul.

Jarquis

What? Taking his leg out from behind while he was about to strike the ball not a penalty now? He was gash all game with the 50/50's.

Equation is simple now, win to progress but the injuries are the biggest concern now. Song dropping bacl was the wrong move, he was out of position badly for both goals. Need Campbell-Vermaelen.
Agreeing with this. Though that shouldn't excuse Almunia for the first or Vermaelen for doing a Usain Bolt impression away from goal for the second.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Def pen, IMHO. Cesc looking for it, obv, but there was contact.

Red seemed harsh, but was a goal scoring op, so guess ref had no choice.
FIFA really need to sort that out. When you give away a penalty you're not denying a goalscoring opportunity at all.

Or at least they could tweak the laws to include intent. Seems a bit of a joke to me that you can get a red for what Puyol did but pulling someone back with the sole purpose of preventing them from scoring doesn't get a red if there was someone else vaguely nearby.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Been a big critic of Almunia for the last few months, but he really saved our bacon today, great performance apart from looking a bit iffy on the first goal. Good game to watch though, really on edge, if only they'd been able to go at them like that for the entire game.

duffer

Think we showed Barca way too much respect in the first and didn't try and pressure them on the ball in our own half. Also believe for all the Barca took their foot off talk, we're always one of the fittest teams around and once they'd given us their maximum for 70 minutes they did tire a bit and we pushed them during that period.

If we can go deep into the game only needing a goal to win the tie over there then we could pull something off. We played better at Old Trafford, Anfield and some would say at Stamford Bridge too than we did at home this year where we almost looked intimidated by the pressure of our own fans. Shouldn't do this to myself but am hoping now.

Jarquis

Think we showed Barca way too much respect in the first and didn't try and pressure them on the ball in our own half. Also believe for all the Barca took their foot off talk, we're always one of the fittest teams around and once they'd given us their maximum for 70 minutes they did tire a bit and we pushed them during that period.

If we can go deep into the game only needing a goal to win the tie over there then we could pull something off. We played better at Old Trafford, Anfield and some would say at Stamford Bridge too than we did at home this year where we almost looked intimidated by the pressure of our own fans. Shouldn't do this to myself but am hoping now.
Can we do it? Cesc we can.

Even if we have to do it without him. Pissing ref :dry:

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
And I agree that it was a clear pen, and given the state of the rules the ref had no choice but to send Puyol off either, harsh as it was.

Jarquis

Latest one is worse... broken leg? Serious? FFS

From elsewhere, apparently Wenger told French TV that Gallas's season is over and "it's not looking good" for Arshavin.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Arsenal was the better side in the first half with Nasri almost scoring. Ibrahimovic scored early in the second half with a fair bit of luck. Then Barcelona scored again! Barcelona dominated in the second half before a great chance for Nicklas Bendtner for Arsenal superbly saved by Valdes after which Arsenal came back strongly. Walcott’s goal was excellent. The Fabregas penalty tied it up.

As a Barcelona fan I rue the score being 2-2 after being 2-0 up but we still have the away goal advantage. It will be one hell of a build up and match in Nou Camp.