• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa

Jayzamann

International Regular
What award did Boucher and Swann share? Match or Series?

Cricinfo isn't updating with the award ceremonies >:(

Days of Grace

International Captain
It was really good to watch a series where there was something in it for the bowlers every match and in basically every innings.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
This was a very entertaining series to keep an eye on from abroad.

It seems that JP Duminy, in his new role as spin-bowling allrounder (since he's been about as effective as a tailender with the bat most of the time), wrapped the series up.

I do feel that SA were somewhat unfortunate not to win it, all things considered.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I'm wise to your ways young man.

Oh not this **** again. Why? Because of their inability to bowl out a number eleven in the allotted time? There is nothing unlucky about that, it's part of cricket, if you don't take the wickets you don't deserve to win end of.

Considering the only significant victory your team has had in recent memory came in very similar circumstances then I'm a bit surprised you would say that.
Beat South Africa in South Africa a couple years ago TBF. First time ever.

Oh wait, now seen you meant series. Fair point. You were unlucky then as well.

Briony

International Debutant
What award did Boucher and Swann share? Match or Series?

Cricinfo isn't updating with the award ceremonies >:(
Strauss mentioned the review system in his speech and was rewarded with boos from the crowd. Smith studiously avoided referring to it.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So much for resting the players for Bangladesh. Didn't even manage 50 overs in both innings.
Yeah, hopefully this drubbing will put pay to any prima donnas claiming they need a rest, or thinking that they're too good to be playing Bang and they they can simply walk back into the side when it suits them. Funny series. England would have gladly taken 1-1 if it'd been offered a couple of months ago, but this series has raised a lot of awkward questions about the side. More of that later though. Right now, congrats to the Saffers who should have some good times ahead.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Best county seam bowling attack by miles? Durham.

Durham bowlers in the Test side? Zero.

And lets have a look at the seamers:

Anderson. One-trick pony who can be completely anonymous even when it is swinging. Averages nigh on 35.
Broad. Pretty ordinary Test bowler with very occasional top notch spell thrown in.
Sidebottom. Someone who hasn't appeared at top fitness (which is what he needs) for 18+ months.

It's a complete joke. You can't pick that as your bowling attack. Why are England just settling for Anderson when he's frankly not good enough and they could potentially have much better bowlers available? We aren't friggin Bangladesh. Sidebottom should not be an option until he's shown he's got that edge back.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sidearse is 32 now; it's a sad fact of sporting life that he's bordering on the autumn of his bowling career and better seamers (& more natural athletes) than him have been washed up by his age. When he was briefly a genuinely test-class fast-medium bowler he was regularly sending the ball down at 87mph, in the current test he was in the 79-83mph bracket.

Dropping Onions was a shocker, as I said perviously I reckon the selectors played the stats and not the performances. He regularly went past the outside edge and with the tighter line to the stumps he bowls (Sid was unforgiveably wide on occasions) the pitch was v much an "Onions" kind of surface IMHO.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I heard they'd dropped Onions. We both tipped him to be leading wicket taker in this match.

Apparently he was tired, but Sidebottom's permanently tired. If Onions couldn't do the job they should have picked Davies or Plunkett.

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
All disapointment aside, if you'd have offered me 1-1 before the series i'd have gladyly taken it. Sure it's a bit harder to take after being 1-0 up, but 1-1 in South Africa is still nothing to be sniffed at. Let's not forget this is a side who were beaten by the West Indies last year...

I never have and never will be a fan of the review system. I think it's unjust that some countries have use of hotspot and others don't. I know it all boils down to cost, but how can it possibly be fair when some broadcasters have use of technology that others don't?

Last word as well, i'm gutted I didn't get to see Plunkett in action on this tour. Hero.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Best county seam bowling attack by miles? Durham.

Durham bowlers in the Test side? Zero.

And lets have a look at the seamers:

Anderson. One-trick pony who can be completely anonymous even when it is swinging. Averages nigh on 35.
Broad. Pretty ordinary Test bowler with very occasional top notch spell thrown in.
Sidebottom. Someone who hasn't appeared at top fitness (which is what he needs) for 18+ months.

It's a complete joke. You can't pick that as your bowling attack. Why are England just settling for Anderson when he's frankly not good enough and they could potentially have much better bowlers available? We aren't friggin Bangladesh. Sidebottom should not be an option until he's shown he's got that edge back.
Haaa

- Yes Anderson was a one-trick pony during this series. But overall he certainly isn't, he certainly can reverse swing the ball - see the 5th test @ Trinidad 2009. The only reason Anderson didn't get the balll to reverse all series was because i'd say the conditions in SA didn't really assist reverse swing all series.

- Onions is not a better bowler than Anderson. He is certainly a "one-trick" pony at this stage of career, who one flat pitches really doesn't have the skills to be very penetrative.

So to say Anderson is not "good enough" & advocate that Onions should have played ahead of him is madness.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
I never have and never will be a fan of the review system. I think it's unjust that some countries have use of hotspot and others don't. I know it all boils down to cost, but how can it possibly be fair when some broadcasters have use of technology that others don't?
Silly point of view for me. The only way the tech is going to become cheaper is if it's going to be used more. When they introduced the 3rd umpire for run-outs we used the standard TV angles. SABC introduced the side on cams and for yonks other countries didn't have it because it was too expensive. Now almost every ground has side-on mounting points for replays.

The same thing happened for Hawkeye, first it was only available in England, then it went to Aus & now it's everywhere. Hotspot'll be the same.

The idea that we shouldn't use referrals because we don't have hostspot & snicko is similar to a business saying they only use normal computers because they can't afford a super computer, and you saying all businesses shouldn't be allowed to use computers at all until everyone can have supercomputers. Different countries, different conditions.

For me, it's pretty simple.

Has the system worked for the majority of the time, without causing any howlers that wouldn't have otherwise happened anyway and at a reasonable cost? Yes

Has it increased the amount of correct decisions? Yes

Volume-gate is a non-issue. Smith was given not out on the field anyway, the decision was unchanged not overturned. At worst a bad decision (but by no means the worst) was not overturned, a good decision was not reversed.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

So to say Anderson is not "good enough" & advocate that Onions should have played ahead of him is madness.
An attack that has Anderson as its main senior fast bowler is not very good. The question is, is there anyone better? To which the answer may or may not be yes.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Never mind that Cribbage - you mean to tell me I sat up here all ****ing night waiting for play to get underway, they come back on so I pour myself a nice Scotch and ice and it was all just for that 15 minutes of **** they just put out there? God I hate cricket sometimes. **** this, I've had it. More whiskey in order.
Haha yeah I had a very similar experience actually. :p

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
An attack that has Anderson as its main senior fast bowler is not very good. The question is, is there anyone better? To which the answer may or may not be yes.
True on all counts. It'd be helpful if someone could dig out Anderson's stats for this series and last year's Ashes, but I'm guessing they won't be flattering. It's not just his inability to theaten when conditions don't suit that's frustrated me - that's true for 90% of test bowlers afaics. But in this series he had helpful conditions on several occasions and not once took advantage. I suppose I'd be more sympathetic if he hadn't shot his mouth off about being the 'leader' of England's attack when actually I'd like him to stfu and learn how to take wickets at an acceptable tick at this level. Agreed with Scaly & Brumby about Onions. For once, I agree with Fatboy taking the mick in his postmatch interview about how daft it was to drop him. We know from past experience that SB doesn't cut it unless he's playing WI or NZ, and even then in helpful conditions. Onions has regularly looked threatening and just needed to find a bit of luck. Given the prematch talk was more about bounce than swing, it was ludicrous to ditch him. Maybe his stock will rise from missing this particular debacle.

As I mentioned the other day, picking our pace attack now will be an interesting exercise. Whoever plays should look good against Bang and at home to Pakistan's fragile batting lineup. I wouldn't be wanting to miss out on the Bang tour if I was one of them. And if I was Tremlett, Plunkett or any other young quick with more than a smidge of ability I'd want to make damned sure I started the season like a rocket.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
As I mentioned the other day, picking our pace attack now will be an interesting exercise. Whoever plays should look good against Bang and at home to Pakistan's fragile batting lineup. I wouldn't be wanting to miss out on the Bang tour if I was one of them. And if I was Tremlett, Plunkett or any other young quick with more than a smidge of ability I'd want to make damned sure I started the season like a rocket.
What if Hoggard starts the season like a rocket?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
What if Hoggard starts the season like a rocket?
I did say 'young'. Personally I'd take a fair bit of persuading that he's a long term prospect, especially now he'd be taking his wickets in D2. Given his results since being dropped by England, I don't expect it to happen though. Ditto Tremlett, actually.