• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In what regard?
The general assumption that he was dropped for reasons unrelated to performance and the fact that his poor matches and spells are never given the same scrutiny as a Harmison or an Anderson.

Don't get me wrong - Hoggard had a better attitude than Harmison did and was obviously never as wayward, but there were times when he was poor and when I've brought these up in the past I've been treated like I've farted in church.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The general assumption that he was dropped for reasons unrelated to performance and the fact that his poor matches and spells are never given the same scrutiny as a Harmison or an Anderson.

Don't get me wrong - Hoggard had a better attitude than Harmison did and was obviously never as wayward, but there were times when he was poor and when I've brought these up in the past I've been treated like I've farted in church.
Code:
YEAR	GM	AV

2001  	4 	30.20   
2002  	12 	35.47  
2003  	5 	26.22 
2004  	13 	30.06  
2005  	13 	26.10  
2006  	14 	30.58   
2007  	4 	26.66 
2008  	1 	151.00
Not one bad year until 1 game in 2008.

FRT, I like both Harmison and Hoggard. Different class to what we have now, though Harmison has other issues unrelated to how he bowls a ball.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
How I wish this was a 5 match test series now...It used to be 5 tests..dont know why they cut short 1..
I dont know about others but for me there is no winner..I dont know who is the better side... South Africa's bowling let them down for most part of the series..and when it fired..England were blown away.

FBU

International Debutant
Anderson is a bizarre one. He appears to have the basic tools of pace, a good bouncer, ability to swing the ball both ways, and yet he appears to underperform. One may posit that he is inaccurate and never will be accurate, but I feel a flaw must be more complex than that, to stop him becoming an expensive but prominant wicket taker - he appears to be neither, particularly expensive, nor potent with the ball.
He had two sets of injections in his knee in the series.

Wickets of batsmen who average over 50.00

Steyn 10.8%
(Clarke 5, Hussey 4, Sehwag 3, Hayden 3, Dravid, Yousuf, Ponting, Khan, Jayawardene)

Anderson 19.2%
(Kallis 6, Smith 5, Tendulkar 5, Clarke 3, Dravid 3, Hussey 2, Sehwag 2, Lara, Sangakkara, Ponting, Gambhir)

Stapel

International Regular

Not sure I agree completely, but I see your point. However, when he was overlooked while this Pattinson dude was selected, I was pretty much convinced Hoggard was possiby not dropped, but surely not reselected for reasons unrelated to performance.

There MUST be more to it.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He had two sets of injections in his knee in the series.

Wickets of batsmen who average over 50.00

Steyn 10.8%
(Clarke 5, Hussey 4, Sehwag 3, Hayden 3, Dravid, Yousuf, Ponting, Khan, Jayawardene)

Anderson 19.2%
(Kallis 6, Smith 5, Tendulkar 5, Clarke 3, Dravid 3, Hussey 2, Sehwag 2, Lara, Sangakkara, Ponting, Gambhir)
Which team do Kallis and Smith play for again? How many Englishmen average over 50?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not sure I agree completely, but I see your point. However, when he was overlooked while this Pattinson dude was selected, I was pretty much convinced Hoggard was possiby not dropped, but surely not reselected for reasons unrelated to performance.

There MUST be more to it.
Vaughan states in his book that it was purely down to performance and ability. Obviously that isn'[t the be-all end-all but he states he didn't want Hoggy in the side anymore.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Which team do Kallis and Smith play for again? How many Englishmen average over 50?
Haha yeah. And here's a fun fact- Graeme Smith wouldn't average over 50 in the first place if he hadn't scored 1600 runs @ 69 in matches involving James Anderson!

Nor would Michael Clarke ftr, he'd be averaging less than 50 too without his 660 runs @ 66 against Jimmy.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You say that as if all of their runs came against Anderson.

Not that I think the stat FBU posted matters, ftr

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know, I just thought it was a pretty comical rebuttal. FWIW I think Jimmeh's quite underappreciated, but when you start comparing him to Dale Steyn you're setting him up for embarrassment.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Boycs was talking about Shehzad. Very good deal! Pace, consistency and control.
You missed out doesn't play for Durham, which is obviously a big advantage to these selectors. Not like they just pissed the County Championship or anything.

Anyway if he's got all that why does he average 35 with the ball? Headingley isn't exactly a road.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hey aussie, seeing as we never got trounced in this series, does that prove that the Asheds wasn't a fluke after all?

nexxus

U19 Debutant
It's hardly been mentioned, but kudos should go the Chris Scott & the Wanderers groundstaff for a superb test wicket. Good help for the seamers, it turned & batsmen who applied themselves were able to score well. I hope we see more of them in the future.

Despite the outcomes, Newlands, Centurion & Kingsmead were bad wickets I thought. They just got better & better. Without the respective unexpected collapses from each side (due more to awful batting & a spell of good bowling) all 3 would've been snoozefests.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It's hardly been mentioned, but kudos should go the Chris Scott & the Wanderers groundstaff for a superb test wicket. Good help for the seamers, it turned & batsmen who applied themselves were able to score well. I hope we see more of them in the future.
Yeah, amazing drainage and fantastic work losing so few overs to rain as well.