• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You sure about that?. I am fairly certain that if Ponting gets a set of short balls in the 1st half-hour of his batting he be on to them in flash. Thats trademark Ponting..
Not from what I saw when he was in top form.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Did you happen to read anything else I said.

IMO, its not arrogance but Pontings belief that if he can get a few good pull shots away he can kick start himself back into form.
It sounds a lovely idea really, but makes no sense whatsoever in light of numerous events on and off the field across the summer.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha geez, surprised he took that. Did dip on him I suppose, can understand the weird technique.

Anyone know why the Aussies have black armbands?

JBH001

International Regular
Good point if he retired tomorrow but a touch of restraint would be nice just before the next Ashes series.....
Come on, T_C. Thats a year away. A bit soon to be obsessing about that, no?

Besides whatever happens from now to then, Punter will be up for that battle.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You sure about that?. I am fairly certain that if Ponting gets a set of short balls in the 1st half-hour of his batting he be on to them in flash. Thats trademark Ponting..
Would do well to take a leaf out of the Tendulkar Sydney 2004 book.

Top_Cat

Come on, T_C. Thats a year away. A bit soon to be obsessing about that, no?

Besides whatever happens from now to then, Punter will be up for that battle.
Recent record in Ashes series' says nooooo.

Anyway, it's the next series OZ play in isn't it?

Mr Mxyzptlk

I think reckless would be the best way to describe his batting, not arrogance
I just feel that a player of the calibre of Ponting, the leader of his country, wouldn't be prone to such recklessness. It seems like a conscious decision to defend his pride. But that's just me.

Burgey

Tendulkar put away his cover drive when it was causing him to get out, for example in his 241 in Australia, not a single cover drive. If you can put away a cover drive, you can put away the pull shot.
They're really quite different though. And tbf I was at that game and it would have been better had Tendulkar played his cover drive, because as far as Tendulkar innings' go, it was as boring as bat****. His last knock in Sydney was >>> than that one imo.

It's Ponting's bread and butter, but I agree he needs to be more circumspect as his footwork atm is nowhere as decisive as it normally is. He needs a score - amazing how it all falls back into place once you get a few runs behind you.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
They're really quite different though. And tbf I was at that game and it would have been better had Tendulkar played his cover drive, because as far as Tendulkar innings' go, it was as boring as bat****. His last knock in Sydney was >>> than that one imo.
That's kind of the point though right? He put it away because it was getting him out despite being one of his better shots. He could have gotten some runs with it, or he could have been out for a duck like Ponting is getting out these days. Would you take a "boring "241 from Ponting without the pull or a pull shot down a fielder's throat on 0* like he just did this innings?