• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
To call it "arrogance" is really missing the point, and I doubt anyone would be applying that label if it wasn't Ponting. I understand it's fun to have a go at him or whatever, but I think it's likely that Ponting is thinking that he's going to score more runs in the long term if he sticks to his natural game rather than trying to put away an instinctive shot like the pull that's brought him so many runs in the past. Obviously he's not playing well right now, but different players approach the game in different ways, and it's not always as simple as just not playing a particular shot because it's gotten you out a few times.

It's not as though Ponting never gets out to anything else anyway. If he could avoid playing the shot, and scratch around for 10 in an hour and then get out driving something on a length, would that be better? I'm sure he knows his own game far better than we do.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't disagree entirely with you guys but, if you were his captain, wouldn't you be taking him aside and saying "Mate, pull your head in a bit?"
Dunno, I mean, he's experienced enough to make his own decisions imo. I'm sure he's thought about it plenty before this match.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbh, has been out on the pull quite a few times before this summer.
But not while looking so uncertain in between. I just feel this is more about pride than anything else. Ponting desperately trying to make a statement. And a player can make just as big, if not a bigger statement by displaying the discipline and humility to play within his boundaries, even if it's only a temporary boundary.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
If only Pakistan had hired a proper fielding coach, this series would be 1/1, with Ponting and Watson both out right now.

Top_Cat

Haha no way is it about him trying to play himself back into form. I love Rickeh, and will defend him to my grave, but you're dreaming if you think it's about anything other than pride, and doesn't smack of arrogance. Look at his dismissals this summer, and the numerous times he's had to respond to questions relating to his ability to play the short ball in the latter stages of his career.
Agree on all counts.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
To call it "arrogance" is really missing the point, and I doubt anyone would be applying that label if it wasn't Ponting. I understand it's fun to have a go at him or whatever, but I think it's likely that Ponting is thinking that he's going to score more runs in the long term if he sticks to his natural game rather than trying to put away an instinctive shot like the pull that's brought him so many runs in the past. Obviously he's not playing well right now, but different players approach the game in different ways, and it's not always as simple as just not playing a particular shot because it's gotten you out a few times.

It's not as though Ponting never gets out to anything else anyway. If he could avoid playing the shot, and scratch around for 10 in an hour and then get out driving something on a length, would that be better? I'm sure he knows his own game far better than we do.
Couldn't have said it better..

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyway, God, I can't believe I'm defending Ponting against accusations of arrogance from Australians. I'm going to bed, it's not even worth staying up to watch Watto when you've decended to such levels.

Mr Mxyzptlk

To call it "arrogance" is really missing the point, and I doubt anyone would be applying that label if it wasn't Ponting.
I called it arrogance when it was Hooper back in the day. Vastly inferior batsman, but similarly determined to prove that he could play the hook shot, no matter what the situation or who the bowler.

Top_Cat

Disagree it's his 'natural game', tbh. Skied pulls early doors might have been his game in the 90's when he was in and out of the side but what typified his batting when he was averaging 60+, especially after that 2001 series, was restraint early in his knock. Would generally milk legside runs or play in the V until set. Playing the pull in the first half hour hasn't been a part of his core game for ages and one has to wonder at why it's suddenly crept back in. Perfectly reasonable to speculate about arrogance when he's been all 'bring it on' in the press.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
It's so swell.

The CW big guns are all logged on in Cricket Chat.

T-C, Burgey, Clapo, Nufan, Faaip, Vic....etc

I'll grab my pop-corn...

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Let's retrace the summer...
He was troubled by the pace of Roach, then hit on the arm and forced to retire hurt for the first time in his career. Since then he has been hopping around against the short ball and has thrown away his wicket twice in the last 3 innings playing the pull shot. The last time he was out first ball for a duck too. And then he comes out after an early wicket falls and goes for the ball before he's scored. Right. "Arrogance" is not the word?

Definitely some internal macho struggle going on.
Did you happen to read anything else I said.

IMO, its not arrogance but Pontings belief that if he can get a few good pull shots away he can kick start himself back into form.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Did you happen to read anything else I said.

IMO, its not arrogance but Pontings belief that if he can get a few good pull shots away he can kick start himself back into form.
I did. Sorry if I implied I didn't. I was just establishing why I consider it arrogance, that it's not just a blind Ponting-hate statement.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree it's his 'natural game', tbh. Skied pulls early doors might have been his game in the 90's when he was in and out of the side but what typified his batting when he was averaging 60+, especially after that 2001 series, was restraint early in his knock. Would generally milk legside runs or play in the V until set. Playing the pull in the first half hour hasn't been a part of his core game for ages and one has to wonder at why it's suddenly crept back in. Perfectly reasonable to speculate about arrogance when he's been all 'bring it on' in the press.
You sure about that?. I am fairly certain that if Ponting gets a set of short balls in the 1st half-hour of his batting he be on to them in flash. Thats trademark Ponting..