• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Oh sure, but I was saying they're very different shots to try and put away. There's more time to make a conscious decision to not play a drive. Sounds weird I know, and I'm not saying he shouldn't be more circumspect.

Liking the look of this Pakistan pace attack tbh - :wub: Umar Gul - reckon he's quality.
Would have thought it would be easier to put away the pull, just duck under anything short.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Would do well to take a leaf out of the Tendulkar Sydney 2004 book.
As others have said. Two different circumstances TBF. Cover driving for Tendy was never a shot that came instinctively to him early in his innings like Ponting's pull strokes.

Tendy IIRC had trouble driving that summer before the SCG test given his tennis-elbow injury was fresh then & get getting out caught behind. So he put it away for that tests & played a the most boring double centuries i've ever seen.

If Ponting put away his pull shot a la Steve Waugh 92, thats changes his game fundamentally IMO.

As i stands i agree with Ponting's position that he has said in the media of late, which he has basically said "bring it on". To me thats not really arrogance - but its him saying that if he gets a few pull shots away early he will be fine. I'm down with that..

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was Tony Greig just saying that Ponting's spot could be danger if he doesn't make a large score? Or is my mind playing tricks on me?
Gotta love Tony - "When men were men, hed have been carried off". You're the ****wit who turned them away from being men Tony!

FMD, I still remember when Lillee hit Greig's helmet in WSC - at that time, it was the highlight of my (albeit young) life.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
As i stands i agree with Ponting's position that he has said in the media of late, which he has basically said "bring it on". To me thats not really arrogance - but its him saying that if he gets a few pull shots away early he will be fine. I'm down with that..
That's fine if the pull shot is netting him runs. This morning alone he's hooked down fine leg's throat and been dropped, skewed one through midwicket off the toe of the bat, had a toe ender drop short of the slip cordon, been hit in the head, and edged one into his midriff.

The shot isn't working for him, and it's ridiculously arrogant of him to continue playing it.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I reckon Clarke is due for a big score today.

Enjoying the ABC commentary so far this morning.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Gotta love Tony - "When men were men, hed have been carried off". You're the ****wit who turned them away from being men Tony!

FMD, I still remember when Lillee hit Greig's helmet in WSC - at that time, it was the highlight of my (albeit young) life.
So good when Tony mentioned that Ponting might not want to face the last few balls and Healy just replied with a "No"

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
That's fine if the pull shot is netting him runs. This morning alone he's hooked down fine leg's throat and been dropped, skewed one through midwicket off the toe of the bat, had a toe ender drop short of the slip cordon, been hit in the head, and edged one into his midriff.
Yea i'm seeing it & its the worst he's looked playing/trying to play the pull since that spell Harmison bowled to him in the Ashes 05 @ Lord's, where he was hit also.

The shot isn't working for him, and it's ridiculously arrogant of him to continue playing it.
Ponting has to know. Watching him bat this summer, i certainly doesn't look like IMO that he has lost his ability to play the pull effectively. His shot selection of it is what has been woeful. Plus although Ponting himself said he wont blame his injury to Roach for his bad run, its fair to presume its still causing some problems ATM.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
LOL...@ this Punter pulling discussion.....dude should have been in the pavilion on a golden duck.....nuff said........

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sure it is. All the more reason to bloody put it away!
Ha again, big Ricky gotta know himself how his arm is feeling (something none of us fans can't know for sure) & how confident he thinks he can still play it well. Him putting away in these last days of his career as i mentioned before a la Steve Waugh 92 is something i dont think he will.

I personally i'm with Ponting here. I just think he needs to be more selective earlier on, since his shot this morning again was ridiculous..

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So good when Tony mentioned that Ponting might not want to face the last few balls and Healy just replied with a "No"
Healy's direness not as abject this summer, imo.

Asif should stop clapping the batsman like that after so many balls. It's Watto-like douchebaggery.