• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** South Africa in England 2012

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Really, that 'half the ball' nonsense needs to be changed. Half the ball hitting the stump would break the wicket just as effectively as 10% of it hitting would.

We saw today the slightest tought of a medium paced ball on a bail and it is dislodged. So why does more than 50% of the ball have to be hitting the stumps to reverse an umpire's "not out" decision.?

It's just not logical.
It is perfectly logical because it factors in the predictive nature of Hawkeye having a margin of error.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The margin of error of the system equates to half the width of the ball, so to guarantee that the ball would hit the stumps, more than half the ball needs to be shown to be hitting. If less than half the ball is shown to be hitting then, in reality, the ball could be missing the stumps.
No the margin of error is much less than the radius of the ball. If there's a reasonable distance between the ball pitching and hitting the pad (ie more than 2 feet) then the error is typically 5mm or less. But in awkward scenarios the margin for error is more like 20-25mm.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
This may sound perverse, but England would probably have been in a better position now if they'd been bowled out cheaply this morning, as that rain cleared away the humidity - they basically didn't go anywhere in that 1st session.
Agreed, I was saying to my Dad last night that South Africa would probably have been willing to give an extra 30-odd runs to England to avoid an awkward spell from Anderson in perfect conditions.

As it turned out, Anderson struck early anyway, so the point is somewhat moot.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've only looked at the cricinfo scorecard, but it looks like Stuart Broad has gone back to being **** now that's he's been removed from bowler friendly conditions

ged it

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I've only looked at the cricinfo scorecard, but it looks like Stuart Broad has gone back to being **** now that's he's been removed from bowler friendly conditions
The UAE tests suggest he can perform well enough in unhelpful conditions. But not yesterday.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The forecast is pretty glorious, so it'll take something extraordinary for us to bowl out SA today. Worst case scenario is about 420 for 3 at close of play, and we all know that they have several guys who can bat all day if things go their way. Hopefully it won't be as bad as that and some of the English bowlers will step up their game today.

Valer

First Class Debutant
The forecast is pretty glorious, so it'll take something extraordinary for us to bowl out SA today. Worst case scenario is about 420 for 3 at close of play, and we all know that they have several guys who can bat all day if things go their way. Hopefully it won't be as bad as that and some of the English bowlers will step up their game today.
You'd hope that in only losing 2 wickets they'd go a touch faster than 3.7 rpo.

grecian

Conversely the sun may dry out the pitch and give it some pace and spin, so we'll see.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Even aside from national loyalties, I really hope Smith goes early. Watching him score runs is like **** on a fat lass. The brute numbers are the same as the more aesthetically pleasing, but there's not the same joy in observing them & it's unlikely to give you the horn.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Even aside from national loyalties, I really hope Smith goes early. Watching him score runs is like **** on a fat lass. The brute numbers are the same as the more aesthetically pleasing, but there's not the same joy in observing them & it's unlikely to give you the horn.
I disagree

fredfertang

... or a panda?

uvelocity

International Coach
tuning in.

hope posters have slated anderson and broad like they did for steyn and philander

looks pretty dark